308 bogging down, only right hand corners! | FerrariChat

308 bogging down, only right hand corners!

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Jack.pe, Jul 8, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jack.pe

Jack.pe Rookie

Apr 6, 2020
    Full Name:
    Jack Pegoraro
    Hello all,

I bought a tired 308 over a year ago (you may have seen it on youtube) and have been nursing it back to some level of health. I recently rebuilt the heads but the car is using oil so full rebuild maybe needed at some point. But let's park that for now.

A problem that has been baffling me now i've actually been able to drive it. Car runs fine in all circumstances but bogs down on right hand corners.. I know the first thing to check is float heights but I've done that already twice and also rebuilt carbs so all seals and needles are new.

Any idea why it would do this? it happens pretty much the instant the car is tipped into a turn and even on a motorway if i weave left and right slightly, it bogs down the moment the car moves right. No problem at all on left hand turns. Car bogs down but does not cut out.

I spoke to Webcon and they said that these DCNFs are specific for the transverse application on a 308, so perhaps I have the wrong type on my car..? is this possible? anyone have any other ideas on what could be going on? The fact that it's pretty much instantaneous leads me to believe it is not due to fuel starvation or problems with fuel filter. Car accelerates perfectly on straights or right hand corners..

Thanks in advance!!
    Jack

2. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    No idea, but it sounds electrical in nature.

Have you check the ground straps and things like that? Maybe put an induction timing light on a plug wire and drive the car and see if you notice the timing light stop triggering when going right.

I'd also put a fuel pressure gauge into the mix near the fuel rail to check pressure, but I agree it doesn't sound like a fuel starvation problem.

Ray

3. Portofino

Portofino Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2011
    Yorkshire UK / Switzerland/ Liguria ( Italy )
    Full Name:
    Portofino
    Did it bog down on R turns before you rebuilt the carbs ?
    Post some pics of the carbs , particularly the inside float chamber areas so folks maybe can spot the difference .
    Sounds carb related to a right hand centrifugal forces only .

4. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    I searched around a little bit and found a few other people talking about similar issues on line (mostly with DCOE carbs, however). One thing someone mentioned was fuel level being slightly too high and fuel sloshing out of vents, tubes, etc. and causing flooding. I'm wondering if perhaps the issue could be flooding (i.e. the carb allowing too much raw gas to enter the chamber). Just a thought.

If you feather on the throttle during the turn, does that make any difference?

Ray

5. wmuno

wmuno Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 24, 2007
    Wilmette, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Bill Muno
    This has to be a carb problem. I would double check your rebuild - floats, float heights, correct needle valve size, gaskets. The fact that everything is new doesn't mean that a new part could be defective.

6. jpl

jpl Formula Junior

Dec 4, 2003
    Yulee Florida
    Full Name:
    JP Lavigne
    If you have an older 308…and lets face it they are all old now. Check your fuses and fuse block. You will be surprised at how many issues come back to the fuses. 90K miles on my carb 308 and have learned a lot about how the fuse blocks affect the overall running of the car. Good luck. JP