308 328 Mondial Wheels | FerrariChat

308 328 Mondial Wheels

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Fred2, Mar 16, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Fred2

Fred2 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 2, 2005
    nj
    I am entertaining a project of re-making the original wheels in a 17" version. The wheels will be cast magnesium. In order to go ahead with this project and justify tooling costs, we will need to sell at least enough wheels for 25 cars.

The idea behind this is to have a wheel that EXACTLY matches the original wheels, but will allow the use of modern 17" high performance tires. Final price has not been determined, but, unfortunalty, these will not be for those looking for the cheap way to do it.

Any interest out there?

2. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Exactly matches which wheels? The 308 and 328 non-abs are different design, the Mondial is a 3rd design, and the offset is different between the 328 ABS, (328 & 308) and Mondials.

That said, I think that it's an interesting idea. For me, the cost would have to be close to (set of 360 wheels + spacers) and they'd have to look good.

Just thoughts.

3. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Ditto here; same questions and concerns, but am very interested in replacing my TRX's. Also, except for size, don't the 87 and later models all use modern high performance tires?

4. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    16 inch sizes in top line tires are being discontinued every day. I just bought tires for the TR and had to settle for 2nd grade tires. Next time it's getting 17 or 18 inch wheels just so I can get good tires.

5. geekstreet

geekstreet Karting

Feb 7, 2005
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Cam
    Yes there are at least 3 designs for those models - the concave & convex 308/328, plus the Mondial 8/QV design. The Mondi 3.2/t looks a similar style as the convex ABS 328 but I'm not certain that the geometry is the same. If you need some measurements for the 3.2 I can do.

6. Fred2

Fred2 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 2, 2005
    nj
    We can only afford to do one spoke style at this point, so I am thinking of basing it on the wheels on my 86 328.
    Different offsets are not a big deal. All we have to do is have an idea of the range of the offsets, and we can leave enough material in the casting that we can machine it to the place that we need it.
    Is there an existing wheel offset database some where that I can get a hold of?
    What is the going rate for new or used OEM 360 wheels?

7. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    1500-1800 for a set