30 years of abdominal pain is hopefully over.. | FerrariChat

30 years of abdominal pain is hopefully over..

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by godabitibi, Feb 15, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    For the near last 30 years of my life I've had very painful abdomen. I've asked the doctors to check it out many times but nothing was never found. Over the years I've learn to live with the pain every day of my life. In the last six months the pain became a bit worse and had a few very hard pain crysis.

Again two weeks ago I had a very hard pain, the worst ever. So hard I had to go to the emergency to have it checked on the spot. In my small hometown we now have a very good surgeon who is almost working 24/7. He was at the emergency when I arrived. As soon as he checked me out he told me my instestins were perforated and I needed a surgery right way.

He found I had part of my intestins covered with diverticulus and one of them had busted. He cleaned up the mess and let it calm down with medication for three days. The third day I was back to surgery to fix the problem, they removed about a foot of intestins where all the diverticulus where.

He did a temporary colostomy to let my system recover for about six month. I received my release from the hospital today after 12 days.
    Feel really good to be at home now with very little pain.

The surgeon told me I will never have that problem again. It's hard to believe after all those years of pain. I really hope he's right.

2. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Wow!

Welcome back Claude, sorry to hear of this, but glad you turned the corner ! I was wondering why you were quiet.

Wishing you a very speedy and healthy recovery. Glad to hear the positive news.

3. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    Thanks Rick! But been at home too long now and too much time on Ebay ended up with another stupidity from myself :D

Go to the 365/400 section

4. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    #4 ryalex, Feb 27, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2016
    Take it easy and be super vigilant about infection and re-perforation at the site of the re-section. My mother had that surgery over three years ago and unfortunately has had to have multiple revisions, extreme pain, problems with infection, etc. She has tried to get back to work finally, but cannot work on her feet a whole day due to the pain.

5. DrJan

DrJan Formula Junior

Feb 28, 2015
    Grand Cayman
    Full Name:
    Dr Jan P
    Congrats to finding out the problem and for a successful op!
    I suffer from the same condition, diagnosed 6 years ago. No perforation yet ( knock on wood!)
    I keep mine happy with diet. Antibiotics if they get inflamed. I always carry antibiotics when I travel., Erytromycin, Metronidazole and Augmentin, in case I get a perf.

6. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    I think genetic has something to do with all that. My father suffered the same thing at the same age. And he told me his dad probably died of that in 1948 when he was also around the same age.

My dad had a second surgery for the same problem about 5 years later. The surgeon back then told him it was extremely rare to need a second surgery for that same problem.

Presently my recovery seem to be very good.

7. jgoodman

jgoodman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2009
    Central PA
    Full Name:
    Jay Goodman
    Just hearing about this Claude. Wow. Hope it's all behind you. That's a long time to suffer with pain. All the best from your good friend here in PA.

8. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    That is remarkable that doctors "checked it out many times" and missed diverticulosis. Did they colonoscope and perform barium enemas and get CT scans? That should have been very easy to dx. Very easy to diagnose unless tools were not available.

How could that possibly be missed unless the medical system available to you prevented you from having the appropriate investigation?

Depending on the political structure, you could have had all that in the first week....or...put off until you needed a colostomy, which apparently in your case, was the...ummm...case.

It is a profound mystery otherwise.

9. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    My mom went through extreme stomach pains for over 5 years before they got to diverticulitis with Celiac, and did a resection. They thought she had IBS.

10. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    Yes I've had colonoscopy twice in the last few years. They even removed a polyp within the last year. I've had x-rays and doplers too over the years. The surgeon said the part that was damaged was right behind and agains the bladder. Maybe that is why it was hard to find, I don't know.
    Was my pain always because of this? I don't know but it's a relief to know they found something wrong that they fixed.

11. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    Hey thanks Jay, it's now half behind me I still have the ostomy for some more months and another surgery to reconnect all that.
    Anyway if I'm ever in need of a good medical plumber I know a good one ;)

BTW have you read I just bought another 4 seater Ferrari convertible? A 400i Straman. Presently thinking about the Euro mondipalooza.

12. Under PSI

Under PSI F1 Rookie

May 13, 2005
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I was thinking the same thing.

13. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    Some updates. On september 30 I was back in surgery to close the colostomy and reconnect the system. They scheduled 2.5 hours to do it. What a surprise when I woke up and learned that it took 7 hours and I still had a stomy but on the other side, an ileostomy this time. To make a short story they have had problems and there was a air leak when they tested it and after fixing it they didn't want to take any chances and made the other stomy to make sure the healing would be perfect before putting it back to work.

A good decision but a hard news for me to swallow.

This next thursday I'll be back on the table for the final. Closing it for good HOPEFULLY!

14. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I agree...I'd say at least half of the abdominal CTs I read have colonic divertulosis and almost all of them do after the age of 50. I'd bet if the OP had a CT before, it was probably noticed by the radiologist and likely not mentioned since it may not have been inflamed then. It's seen a a lot...

15. Xcheckme

Xcheckme Formula 3

May 10, 2011
    Tampa Bay
    Full Name:
    Lukas
    Fingers crossed for you!!!!

16. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    Back from my surgery today and everything went fine. Now need to recover and I should be OK.

17. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Great news.

18. wings

wings Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2003
    Read your story and I hope you finally have some relief for all you have been through! Best of
    Luck!!

19. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Glad to hear that things are finally starting to go well for you.

20. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    Thanks for your good words guys I appreciate. It look good for now.

21. piezopaul

piezopaul Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2014
    Winston Salem, NC
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I'm an ER doc in the States and I gotta say if you come to any ED in the States with severe abdominal pain, you're going to get an abdominal CT. If the diverticulosis is the cause your pain, they will be inflamed, and that will show up on CT. I hate to wax political, but when the government starts practicing medicine, it's usually the patients who suffer. Hope you are well by now!