30 days in, good results but more work ahead | FerrariChat

30 days in, good results but more work ahead

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by FarmerDave, Sep 4, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    #1 FarmerDave, Sep 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    30 days ago, I went from virtually not paying attention to eating or exercise habits, to exercising 4 to 5 days per week for 40 to 60 minutes a day, and counting every calorie that I put in my mouth.

Lots of work ahead still, but happy with results so far! Next 30 days I am focused on trimming times off my running 5k type distances and continuing to be careful about eating the right things at the right times in order to keep burning fat from my midsection, which is really the only place my body stashes it.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Congrats dave! Those are great results.

Have you really changed what you eat or just how much?

3. FarmerDave

Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    Both.

I frankly, in the past, never paid attention to what I ate, I just... ate.

If I was hungry for a steak I went and got a big one, if I was hungry for Double Daves peproni rolls, I at a half dozen.(340 cal each... eek!) I love cottage cheese, it didnt seem that strange to eat a pint out of the carton.

Biggest change I made was portion control by buying food in snack size containers such as a 4 pack of cottage cheese cups instead of 2 pint tub of cottage cheese. Also bought a lot of things like granola bars and made pasta that I would repackage into smaller portions for the week's lunches.

But counting the calories and portion control has somewhat changed what I eat because some things are easier to portion control. Next goal is to really focus and discipline on eating meals that have good ratios of fat to protein to carbs 20/30/50.

Also I allow myself 2 or 3 cheat meals per week if I'm really hungry and the meal is good, or social situation, and it hasnt caused a problem because I've been strict at all other times.

4. FarmerDave

Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    I've been on average eating 2200 cal per day during the last month. So I'm not starving myself. I'm 6ft.

5. FarmerDave

Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    I have done 3 timed running miles in the last month...
    Baseline - Tuesday, Aug 5 - 9:59
    Progress - Thursday, Aug 21 - 8:50
    Progress - Tuesday Sept 5 - 8:33

Also did a 5k on Labor Day, Sept 1... 35:07, my best yet

6. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    nice FD!

I started first week of June and I'm down a net of 7-8 pounds but I'm probably down 15 pounds of fat and up 6-8 pounds of muscle. I can run until I puke and not burn enough calories to lose weight....because I puke in about half a mile :eek: So I'm lifting 3-4 times a week, plus yard work one day a week, and walking the dog daily (1-1.5 miles a day in triple digit heat indices :eek:)

my goals are lifting based in the same way yours are time/distance based.

7. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Great results! Over the past 6 months I've gone from 185 to 170 (I'm right at 6' and in my 60s) simply by very slightly modifying my diet. Keep up the good work!

8. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I wish i had the focus to do it for 30 days.

9. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Good luck! I'm slowly starting it again. I've started on eliminating lots of fluids drinking nothing but water basically. Did a short run yesterday and hate that shin splints stopped me halfway to 5km.

Keep up the good work and before you know it that 5km will be sub 30 minutes. When I finished I was almost at 22 minutes or so. 50-55minutes for a 10km.

10. FerMaz

FerMaz Formula Junior

Feb 11, 2007
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mel
    I decided to join weight watchers and participate in Tai Chi and lift weights 1 1/2 years ago. I have lost 50 lbs and am really happy with my current weight as well as conditioin. I suggest you do whatever works for you but not just as a whim. Consider it a life style change. You will never regret it. I just turned 80.

11. FarmerDave

Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    Guess who got heavily involved in a race car build and prepping for a November 24hr of Lemons race, and thought he was too busy to work out and stopped paying attention to what he ate over the holidays, and popped right back up to 205?

This guy!

I did a timed mile baseline this morning before getting back into the workout routine - 9:20. Better than my original baseline but I lost some ground.

Doing my first 5k of 2015 this weekend.

12. definitelysomeday

definitelysomeday Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2009
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom Kavan
    Welcome to middle age

Good luck with the 5K!

13. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed