275GTB Leather parking brake boot repair/replacement | FerrariChat

275GTB Leather parking brake boot repair/replacement

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by BillGammon, Mar 24, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BillGammon

BillGammon Karting

Sep 30, 2002
    I need to get a boot replaced/repaired. Locally, I am only able to find places that will work in vinyl or other scary materials.

I am sure there are very expensive options and places that Fchat would recommend and I am interested in knowing the choices.

I don't believe the current boot could be repaired as it is torn and very dry. I am sure a new one will have to be made.

Any advice or insight is appreciated.

2. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Bill,

Could you remove the boot yourself? If so, you could take it to almost any seamstress who can sew leather. She can use the original as a pattern without damaging it at all. Does the boot have a welt cord at the base and a hem at the top?

You would probably want to supply the sewer with your own leather. I'd suggest getting a variety of 2" swatches from a place like www.hirschauto.com that match your interior most closely. (Get the swatches first, don't simply order their Connoly leather; it may not be the best match for your car.)

If the leather you choose is too thick, it can be shaved down by skiving. There are skiving machines, or someone can skive leather by hand. Either would work. Ask around at cobblers and other leather repair places.

If you can't remove the boot yourself, then are going to need to deal with a trim shop. Keep searching; you should find a respectable one in your area who can work in leather.

If not, you could combine the two options: take the car to the trimmer who could work in vinyl, and have him remove the boot. Take the boot to someone who is able to work in leather, and have them reproduce the boot. Then simply return to the trim shop. There's also no need to leave your car anywhere this way.

--Matt

3. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    One more possible source: a good furniture reupholsterer will be able to reproduce the boot, and may even be able to remove and install it for you.