275 needs Total Restoration, good price at $200k? | FerrariChat

275 needs Total Restoration, good price at $200k?

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by Finitele, Jan 30, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Finitele

Finitele Formula 3

Sep 26, 2007
    DBC
    Full Name:
    DIR
  2. Turner

Turner Karting

Sep 6, 2004
    EC
    Full Name:
    Turner
    at today's prices that would be a very good deal

3. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    Put it on E-Bay and see what it's REALLY worth.

4. coachi

coachi Formula 3

May 1, 2002
    SC USA
    If you spend 50,000 on paint and cosmetics, assuming engine and drivetrain is decent; it is a great bargain.

5. Vintage V12

Vintage V12 Formula 3

Aug 11, 2004
    The nose looks wrong. $$

6. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    50K will get you....not so far.

7. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    there was another one (barn find) on ebay for $800K+ last week, you wont get that one for $200K.

8. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

it says undercontract.

the new new owner can get in line and have david carte do the resto. it will cost 400-500k for a carte resto but the car will be another "best in the world" piece. it will be complete in 3 yrs and if the market continues as it is going...you will be a winner!

if it corrects a la 1990...and it could...in that case the car stays with david...lol!

gotta be willing to roll the dice.

9. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    You don't think you could make that into a running and driving car for $50k? With shiny paint?

Seriously, if I could get it for $200k I'd think about that. Not every vintage Ferrari needs to be made to look better than new.

10. 4redno

4redno Formula 3

Mar 21, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Keith Mitchell Wintraub
    Reality check on aisle 6.

A rebuild on the motor would cost $30K or more. A full restoration by a professional shop on a big ticket Ferrari is $350K+. $50K would be your parts bill alone based on the photos. All that being said, it would still be a bargain at $200K.

11. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    If I were in your shoes, and I'm not - I'd wait until market corrects.

At 200K it's roughly double what it was a few years ago.

If you've got the kind of cash laying around to do full-on resto - let it be somebody else's headache & pick up the finished car at less than what they put into it - when they're desperate to sell. Wouldn't be the first time.

12. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

If you can buy the car for 200k do it and sit on it for a few years. Oh thats right, that would be using a Ferrari as an investment, and we all know that doesn't work.

13. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    If $50,000 is your parts bill, then $300,000 is your labor costs??????? One guy, working by himself on this one car, could earn $300,000 for restoring this ONE car over the period of one year????

This seems totally unrealistic. There are guys restoring many other rare vintage antique cars, and I don't think they are earning $300,000 per year, PER CAR!!!

Even if the resto shop had 10 employees, they would EACH be earning $30,000 for the restoration of this ONE CAR???

I can't buy that.

If that's the case, forget about law school or being a doctor,....teach kids to become antique car restorers.

14. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    A full restoration on a 275 GTB/4 to a high level of excellence could easily take more than a year. At a ballpark figure of $100/hour it wouldn't be hard to spend $300K.

It has nothing to do with how much employees are paid.

15. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

in the case of a david carte level individual, 300k would be a little light for that resto. now that said, it would not be finished in a year either. my friends 4 cam that was restored by carte took more in line w/ 3 plus yrs. it then went on to win @ cavalino w/ best in class and best resto. but arlie, the money i cited is not inaccurate.

16. Wolf

Wolf Formula Junior

Nov 17, 2003
    Asking price is near 700K!

Regards

Wolfi

17. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Which is market correct assuming no # problems. 300-400 K is also about right to restore it. Today restored/good ones go for 1.2 Million +

18. Organiser

Organiser Formula Junior

Jan 13, 2004
    West Midlands UK
    Full Name:
    Phil Haynes
    I wish, I looked at one RHD 4 cam last year the engine was out being rebuilt, the bodywork needed light restoration / full repaint as it was fairly unmolested apart from a respray in a different shade of red. At that stage the price was around £560, 000, it sold for over £600,000!!

You will be lucky if you can get that car rebuilt for between £150,000 - £200,000, you could always send it back to the Factory as they are possibly the cheapest labour rate per hour around and it will guarantee a certificate. :)

Regards,
    Phil.

19. Wolf

Wolf Formula Junior

Nov 17, 2003
    Which is market correct assuming no # problems. 300-400 K is also about right to restore it. Today restored/good ones go for 1.2 Million

I think so too and in spite of the bs they are telling about ownership and mileage. Car is owned by Jose Harth of Caracas. Some parts are missing too.

Regards

Wolfi

20. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    The thing to keep in mind is that the Journey of Restoration is often a lot of fun and you can make sure it's done correctly and as you want it to be.

21. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Where did the 200k come from ?

22. barchetta

barchetta Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2003
    200K would have been correct in the early 90s after the last Ferrari "recession" No way, no how, this car is 200K. How did the 200K number start floating about?

23. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    Well stated.

Truly can be a lot of fun and brings you much closer to the bones of your car. One is not merely an owner but a steward of history.

24. CMY

CMY F1 World Champ

Oct 15, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Assuming it didn't have some major flaw that would keep it off the road, I'd imagine it would be fun to have a 275 beater car for a while. Get a decent repaint, make it road-worthy and drive the snot out of it (while not having a panic attack if it happens to get a ding in a parking lot).

25. 4redno

4redno Formula 3

Mar 21, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Keith Mitchell Wintraub
    One is also tapped of all extra cash for a while. In my case, it was worth the journey.