26805 Restoration Begins | Page 9 | FerrariChat

26805 Restoration Begins

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by wda24729, Oct 12, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wda24729

wda24729 Formula 3

Sep 22, 2014
    Devon, UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Ok - So anyone considering one of these starters, please insist on the correct one for the 400. The new one arrived with the revised (or should I say correct) adaptor plate thinking it would be on in 20 minutes, only to find its larger in diameter and thus you can no longer get a socket on the top nut. Just a little more thought going in the fabrication of the plate by creating a recess would have gone a long way. I ended up filing off enough to get a socket on as trying to use a spanner in that area, from below is near on impossible.

Anyway, now installed and working lovely!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. simon klein

simon klein Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    Mate,what is your first name,I'm sure I'm not the only one here wondering that.
    We're all fairly informal here (if you want seriously informal go to Aussie!!!) and calling anyone by their user title,if it's not part of their name,is a little impersonal.

Cheers,Simon. :)

3. Al Campbell

Al Campbell Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 22, 2013
    Australia
    Happy to hear it's in & working well.

I had recommended the WOSP starter to people based on the units I purchased but I'm glad I got two when I did. It looks like they have changed the design for the worse since I purchased mine.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. wda24729

wda24729 Formula 3

Sep 22, 2014
    Devon, UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Simon - Sorry I didn't realise my name wasn't up there...its Graham! :)

Al - Yours looks completely different, similar to my original but have a look at my bottom mount where again you can't get a socket on due to the location of the motor fixing bolt. You can get a spanner on this lower one easier, but a socket would make things a whole lot easier. I might steal your photo and sent to WOSP if ok?.

5. Al Campbell

Al Campbell Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 22, 2013
    Australia
    By all means you can forward on these pictures.
    Let me know if you want more pictures. Hopefully we can get this sorted to save the next person these hassles.

Cheers,
    Al

Ak Jim likes this.
  6. wda24729

wda24729 Formula 3

Sep 22, 2014
    Devon, UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Thanks Al - They were actually grateful for the feedback and will also make amendments to their manufacturing :) Just a pity I was the guinea pig!

Engine all balanced now, a couple of the carbs were way out on mixture but now she runs like a dream! :)

Also had a crack at my bonnet struts. I always wondered why someone hadn't changed them for such a cheap fix. Now I know why after spending about 2 hours taking side trims off and carefully peeling back the bonnet cushion! Why didn't they leave the bonnet fixings exposed...grrr!

7. aidanparte

aidanparte Formula 3

Jul 18, 2004
    I had my struts rebuilt a couple of years ago and it was a total nightmare removing and replacing, but I did it without peeling the bonnet pad.

8. wda24729

wda24729 Formula 3

Sep 22, 2014
    Devon, UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    You must have much smaller hands than me then!

I can now confirm for anyone interested that the plastic seat covers suitable for the Lancia are an exact match for the 400's. I will now experiment with the finish and let you know

9. roger21

roger21 Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2015
    France
    Full Name:
    Stéphane
    great info, thanks!

10. wda24729

wda24729 Formula 3

Sep 22, 2014
    Devon, UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Just one caveat, the raised section has a textured finish so I will filler prime this area to try and get an even finish across the cover.

11. wda24729

wda24729 Formula 3

Sep 22, 2014
    Devon, UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Well this is first attempt, its not far off, actually looks better than it does in the photograph, they have more depth and shine, which you can just see on the right hand one. The raised textured areas came up ok aswell.

If I can't match exactly, I'll do the two inner ones in the same finish to match

theunissenguido likes this.
  12. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff

Good day Graham,

I think they look great! How did you finish them? Did you paint them or did you use another more exotic process :)

Cheers,

Sam

13. Arvid

Arvid Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 28, 2012
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Arvid Andersson
    Did you use chrome spray ?

14. wda24729

wda24729 Formula 3

Sep 22, 2014
    Devon, UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    I used black filler primer a few times, rubbed back etc to get the smooth finish. I then used a shadow chrome effect paint, largely used for alloy wheels, followed by a lacquer.

15. wda24729

wda24729 Formula 3

Sep 22, 2014
    Devon, UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Though I'd tackle the window mechanism motors today. 6 hours later Ive just finished one side, what an absolute mare keeping the cable wound on the spool whilst trying to re-install!

Some pretty 'orrible grease in the mechanism. It was almost the consistency of clay

16. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Graham,

As I mentioned earlier... best to check and sort out these items now. Mine were about the same, except my motors were very nasty. The brushes were like new, but the commutators were heavily oxidized and the motor lubrication was so dry that it simply would not let the motor turn. Obviously this is what contributed and/or caused my window switch to internally melt.

As for keeping the cable wound while fitting all of it into the door cavity...certainly not an easy task. In my case I strategically used wire ties to hold the cable in place as I fiddled with the cable routing. Once I was close, I then snipped the wire tie and carefully finished the cable routing. On the plus side, your other window will a go a little faster given you have already done it once :)

Also, were your motors encased in a rubberized/plastic paint condom? Mine were and I thought it was a good idea, as it kept the motor and its guts moisture free from any water coming in via the window lip seals, etc. You can buy rubber/plastic paint at the local hardware store and it is easy to apply (rattle-can). I think the name of it was PlastiDip, etc. Just a thought.

Cheers,

Sam

17. wda24729

wda24729 Formula 3

Sep 22, 2014
    Devon, UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Hi Sam, well the other side took only a couple of hours now Ive mastered the technique. Being honest, it took me a while to fathom out how the spool actually worked in the first place so there a fair bit of time wasted whilst head scratching.

For anyone considering this, I ended up using 3 large cable ties on the spool and another cable tie pinching the two wires together that come off the spool. Once installed I then heated up the end of a sharp chisel so I could release the cable ties once tensioned. I'd like to know how they did it at the factory though!

Another tip, don't over tighten the motor mounting nuts to the unit. When tightening, ensure the rubber link piece still spins freely (forgot to take a photo)

Motors etc where actually in really good condition, even still had the original labels on them. I used a piece of heavy polythene to provide a shroud across the top of the unit, so hopefully that should keep any moisture out.

All working perfectly now, probably the best out of all my older cars :)

18. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    Haha, that grease inside the motor looks like "dulce de leite" like we call in here in South America. Have you taste it ?:p

Guido

19. wda24729

wda24729 Formula 3

Sep 22, 2014
    Devon, UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    When scooping out, it reminded me of something a lot worse :(

Rear seats etc all ready for some preparation and tlc. Im not sure if someone has previously connalised in that darker colour, although my 308 interior is almost an identical darker shade. You can see the original tan colour on the rear panel, bottom left.

Anyone else with a tan interior thats darkened this much?

20. Arvid

Arvid Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 28, 2012
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Arvid Andersson
    #220 Arvid, Feb 4, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
    Someone has recolored your interior at some point. My car has the same beige colored interior as yours had originally and it only gets lighter as time goes by - not darker. I had it recolored to original.

Are you going to recolor it ? It looks to be in good condition and well preserved.

21. wda24729

wda24729 Formula 3

Sep 22, 2014
    Devon, UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Thought so. Its in excellent condition but think it will look better in original tan so will revert to that.

22. wda24729

wda24729 Formula 3

Sep 22, 2014
    Devon, UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    My bonnet cushion was a little tatty, especially after getting those darn struts in place, so tidied that one up today. Big improvement on what it was, its just Ive lost some of the patterned zig-zag towards the top area (or bottom when the hood is lifted!)

23. wda24729

wda24729 Formula 3

Sep 22, 2014
    Devon, UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Hi Arvid, Ive just noticed my seats are the same pattern as yours. Would that mean that the insets would have been a contrasting colour as standard, the same as yours?

Also, would the insides of the door cars be in the same contrasting colour? Do you have any more photos?

Many thanks

24. Arvid

Arvid Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 28, 2012
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Arvid Andersson
    Hi Graham,

Yes,the door cards has the same dark brown on the inserts. Mine are dark brown but I've also seen black. My car was ordered with interior VM3218 - I'm not sure if that goes for the beige or the combination beige/dark brown. Someone else on here may know more on that subject.

You could get both two-tone interiors or single colour - it was all up to the buyer. Black cars often had black inserts and - as in my case - brown cars got brown inserts. What is your cars original exterior colour ? Have you tried sanding down the inserts on the seats to see if any other colour appears ?

Not the sharpest of photos but gives You an impression :) And as you see - it's only the door inserts that's brown,not the ones in the rear. Image Unavailable, Please Login

25. roger21

roger21 Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2015
    France
    Full Name:
    Stéphane
    According to the Ferrari club 400 site, the seats (with the same pattern) went from single colour to contrasting tones in 1980...
    If anybody may confirm...