250LM For Sale. | FerrariChat

250LM For Sale.

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by rsvmille676, Oct 31, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rsvmille676

rsvmille676 Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2004
    G-town
    Full Name:
    Scott Major
    Does anyone know the S/N of the 250 LM Motorclassics Corp has for sale? Also, does this car have any specific race history.

I looked on Barchetta.cc and couldn't find out which car it was. The website listing for the car itself does not disclose which SN it is.

Thanks

Scott

2. tomgt

tomgt F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Tom Wiggers
    6045......check the photo's

3. rsvmille676

Nov 24, 2004
    G-town
    Full Name:
    Scott Major
  4. rsvmille676

Nov 24, 2004
    G-town
    Full Name:
    Scott Major
    After looking at the photos (as tom suggested) I could barely make out Ferrari 250 6045 LM on a cross member of the chassis.

Thanks again guys.

Scott

5. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Sheehan was asking 950k$ in 1999.. This car is worth what today , 3/4m$ ?

6. rsvmille676

Nov 24, 2004
    G-town
    Full Name:
    Scott Major
    Now does the fact that this car has " a replica" made from parts of the original. i.e engine and perhaps fuel tanks (as per barchetta.cc) detract from the value?

7. 308nut

308nut Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 22, 2002
    NOLA/Covington
    Full Name:
    Wade
    I remember this car when it was st Symbolic back in 99. There was a question as to which 6045 was rebuilt of more actual 6045 parts.

the car was burned to embers in LA and parts were scattered not sure which car is more real.

Wade

8. rsvmille676

Nov 24, 2004
    G-town
    Full Name:
    Scott Major
    The "replica" has the original Engine block and perhaps some body parts. But chassis was completely fabricated in Germany.

This car has the original but "repaired" chassis, new body and new "stamped" engine block of 6045/2 from a 275 P

9. dan360

dan360 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2003
    Boston
    A no stories LM is 5 or 6M USD. IMO 3M for a "replica" is insanity, a lovely car, but at 1-2M maybe.

10. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    do an advanced search for "6045" in the vintage forum; at least several threads on this car(s). not a good story.

11. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    IMO someone should talk to Ferrari and if they agree buy both, give both to Ferrari and have Ferrari rebuilt both into one correct as it can be car with full disclosure.

12. iwanna860monza

iwanna860monza Karting

Sep 19, 2004
    I totally agree with Jim make one real car, and keep everything clear and above board
    perhaps keep the other as an accurate replica so you can race it like you stole it.

13. rsvmille676

Nov 24, 2004
    G-town
    Full Name:
    Scott Major
    I agree. I was thinking that if someone had the means they should buy both cars and reuinte the original engine with the original chassis. Then they would have 1 complete original car and one very exact recreation.

14. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Joe M. started a discussion about this over dinner last weekend and it certainly seems like what you have said above would be the ideal situation.

We also discussed what happens when two people have significant parts of a vehicle and one person gets theirs to Ferrari first for a factory sanctioned resoration that ends up where Ferrari fabricates parts and certifies that particular car as Sn ABCXYZ.

Seems like it is just begging for litigation!

Any thoughts?

15. R33

R33 Formula Junior

May 7, 2005
    Kent,UK
    Full Name:
    Paul Creed
    I cant understand why, for the sake of History and provenance, the original parts are not brought together. Everybody knows both cars, so what is the point of keeping them apart. Surely its better for the future of the car in its most complete state?

16. billnoon

billnoon Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 22, 2003
    La Jolla, California
    Full Name:
    Bill Noon
    The car identified in the beginning of this thread has never been owned or offered ever by Symbolic.

The car we had was rebuilt from the chassis, suspension and part of the body that Betz and Peters acquired and later sold to Europe.

I raced the car in several Ferrari Challenge Races as well as another LM several years ago before it was sold to back to Italy where I believe it still is.

Regards,

Bill Noon

17. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    Oddly enough, I had lunch 2 days ago (at an event at Carroll Shelby's) with Ron Kellogg, who was reminiscing about cutting the chassis in two so he could transport it. In those days, it wasn't so important. Can also remember when Stu Baumgard had the engine in his 250GTO. Agree they should both get together. Quite a story about Hart Isaacs crashing and how the car came to burn up, but then I suppose it's been told here before. Forgive me for rambling.

18. tomgt

tomgt F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Tom Wiggers
  19. rsvmille676

Nov 24, 2004
    G-town
    Full Name:
    Scott Major
    Correct.

This is my Summation.

From what information I have found (and this may be wrong and open to correction from better informed folks.)

The 6045 for sale in NY is made up of the original repaired chassis stamped 6045 LM. The chassis is the majority of what was salvaged from the firey accident in 1969. A completely new body was constructed for the repaired chassis and a donor engine from a 275P (now stamped 6045/2) is in place.

The car in california is made up of some discarded cross members and has a fabricated frame and body from a shop in Germany. It also has the original engine from 6045 that was used for a while in a 250 GTO.

Realistically, depending on the price of the car in NY. Due to its questionable past I'd hope no more than 2.5 - 3.0M and the car in California at 600K a person could purchase both for 3-3.6 and reunite 6045 chassis with 6045 engine thus having all of 6045, as well as a very exact recreation.

(all of which has been stated before in this thread)

20. Bill Sawyer

Bill Sawyer Formula 3

Feb 26, 2002
    Georgia
    2.5-3.0 million sounds very steep for this car. IMHO, both cars are worth far less individually than they are together.

21. MJarrettR

MJarrettR Formula 3

Apr 14, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Jarrett Rothmeier
    BTW there are MORE than 2 LMs out there that have claimed chassis number 6045. All contructed from various bits and pieces. The real 6045 is no more, no matter how many cars you combine, IMHO.

-Jarrett

22. Bertocchi

Bertocchi Formula 3
    Consultant

Jan 28, 2004
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    David Castelhano
    There was a 250LM that burned on the Merritt Parkway way back when. Could this be one of the donor cars?

23. vantage1

vantage1 Rookie

Jan 5, 2006
    Kraljevic
    Full Name:
    Michael
    6045 burned up due to ruptured tank on Cali. highway somewhere. The motor was sold to a 250 GTO owner, in turn he put the LM motor in his GTO to race with and beat the crap out of.
    Regarding the burned LM apparently there are a ton of certified documents, which I assume is from Ferrari stating the repair of the chassis, body is original and also the fitting of a new motor stamped 6045/2 the car in fact has that engine number (I've seen, worked & driven this car)
    The GTO owner subsequently removed the motor (6045) from the GTO (& possibly sold it) so he (or the next owner) attempted to reunite the 6045 motor with the real car for 50% ownership of the repaired LM in the end. For one reason or the next it didn't happen. Maybe out of spite (not getting 50% and all) had a new car built @ Fossil who copied from another real 250LM and installed the 6045 motor in that. From my understanding these are the only two cars with the chassis no. 6045, The Fossil car did show up at auction (RM I think) some time ago and was pulled last minute.....not exactly sure why.... most likely because , "my Ferraris real I swear"

24. vantage1

vantage1 Rookie

Jan 5, 2006
    Kraljevic
    Full Name:
    Michael