250GTE Barn Find | FerrariChat

250GTE Barn Find

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by MonoSpecchio, Jan 4, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #2 Jedi, Jan 4, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    #3 Bryanp, Jan 4, 2011
  3. solofast

solofast Formula 3

Oct 8, 2007
    Indianapolis
    Now there is an example of a car that SHOULD be made into a replica GTO...

The body is shot, the chassis has been butchered, and the engine is gone. About all that's left is the number plate. Put it out of it's misery and part it out, there may be a few GTE parts in there that could help out a real GTE. It would take more than it will ever be worth just to pay for the gas to get it home. Sorry, but there isn't enough there to save in anything near its present form.

Somebody who is so against replicas should buy it and save it from from the "horrible GTO replicators"...

4. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    At least someone had the decency to make sure it had a nice shiny and new nose badge installed.

5. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    So if someone bought this car and used it to build a replica GTO... would anybody seriously object? Even the replica haters? :D

(Edit - damn, 2 minutes too slow!)

6. Jedi

Jedi Moderator

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Interesting Google result - from another site (that I cannot post here) from 2007:

"I don't actually know the correct id numbers for SN 4063, but we may be able to figure out if the parts are what should have been in that GTE. First of all, the numbers you gave us for the Gearbox and rear axle are not the ones we are looking for. The number you gave for the gearbox is the manufacturers number and it was poured with the case. It is identical to the number on my Series III GTE (# 4247), and I would assume all GTE's of that vintage. The number you gave on the gearbox is similar to mine, but not identical.

The number we really need was stamped on by the Ferrari factory and was unique to each car. On the axle, it is to the left of the drain plug, as viewed from the rear of the car. I have tried to attach a photo of mine to show you what I mean. It is my understanding that the number 66/63 means that it was the 66th axle used in 1963.

The Gearbox number is on the top of the gearbox, on top of a protrusion on the driver's side. If you cannot remove the leather transmission cover to read it, you will have to stick a mirror up from under the car and fish around. That is, unless it is like my car and completely covered in oil, grease and dirt. It should be close to the number of the axle, but not necessarily the same.

Once you have these numbers, get them to me and I will ask around to see if anyone recognizes them. The telio guys seem to have lots of sources for this stuff. I also know that Ed Niles used to own 4063 (for parts) when it had a Cadillac engine. By the way, according to the GTE Register, the "body, interior drivetrain and possibly transmission" was for sale in 1990. Doesn't say if it was a Cadillac or Ferrari drivetrain though.

You also may want to contact Ferrari with those numbers and see if they can be of any help. They used to be quite helpful, that is before they had a program where they could charge for this info. Once I had all my numbers, they sent me a PDF of the build sheet. It confirmed that my car is original and kind of cool to look at.

Where are you located? I know we all would like to see the car."

Jedi

7. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    "As with any purchase of a used Ferrari, I recommend a thorough PPI."

8. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    It should definitely be saved and put into a museum as is. Totally irreplaceable piece in Ferrari history. I have loved this car for years and will love it forever. A fresh reminder that there was a time when there were other ways to live with a Ferrari than writing cheques.

FWIW, when mechanical components were taken out of this car, they were installed into 0117S. All of them.

9. simon klein

simon klein Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    Absolutely agree.
    Reminds me of my lovely 105 1750 Alfa that I sold to a local bloke about 8 years ago.
    I,d built and raced this car within period,he was going to take out the sweet Alfa engine and install a........................................................................................

rotary out of a Mazda,luckily he didn,t do that BUT he did cut 2 holes in the bonnet AND install a plastic front spoiler of a Suzuki Balleno.
    Thankfully the car has recently been resold to an enthusiast who is taking it back to
    original....unlike this poor beasty.

10. billnoon

billnoon Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 22, 2003
    La Jolla, California
    Full Name:
    Bill Noon
    Despite looking as if it were painted with a rusty chain.... I love it!

Drop in a new battery, clean out the tank and fuel lines and my kids would be going to school in it ever day until the tires fell off!

Wonder how bad my property value would drop if I parked it in front of my house or how long before the neighbors attacked me and this machine with torches?

Ciao,

Bill

11. billnoon

billnoon Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 22, 2003
    La Jolla, California
    Full Name:
    Bill Noon
    Just noticed it has AC! Perfect machine for weekend cruises in the Summer heat!

Bill

12. 3500 GT

3500 GT Formula 3

Nov 2, 2008
    USA
    Full Name:
    Gentleman Racer
    ......this car is my all time favorite Ferrari. I wish there were more like her!

~Ciao

13. T308

T308 Formula 3

May 12, 2004
    Southern Cal
    #14 T308, Jan 4, 2011
  14. Jedi

Jedi Moderator

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    On the column no less!

15. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Just in time for Cavallino....

16. epdowd

epdowd Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 31, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom Wilson
    Ok, I am usually the guy who defends discarded GTE bodies being recycled, but this time.... wow, I have no idea what to say...

17. Jedi

Jedi Moderator

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Maybe some imaginative soul can make a Fiero out of it......

18. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    Look at the TILT steering column! This thing was made to cruise!

19. Jedi

Jedi Moderator

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    LOL!! Yeah - saw that too - reminds me of my Driver's Ed Cutlass Supreme in 1976, with
    a gumby bondo body!

Jedi

20. CMY

CMY F1 World Champ

Oct 15, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Looks like a perfect candidate for my CF bodied 250 GTO replica. Still, seems a lot to pay for a few VIN tags..

21. Julio Batista

Julio Batista Formula 3

Dec 22, 2005
    I have agonized all night over this one... I have come to the conclusion that the only fitting end for this poor, poor GTE would be purification and atonement by fire. Find a friendly steel plant, stick this carcass into the oven, and say a Ferrari prayer while the fumes from the melting sacrifice reach to the skies.

And I apologize to Kare for disagreeing with him for the first time!:)

22. Arvin Grajau

Arvin Grajau Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
    IMO one buys it and parks it in a dark corner.

23. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    I'm with Noon on this one. Fix it and run it; did you see the size of the AC under the dash?? You could hang sides of beef in the back seat.

So many perfectly good GTEs have been cannabilized lately that you could probably pick up front and rear clips pretty easily/cheaply.

24. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    The person who bought 117 found a correct drivetrain for it. Thus he should buy this and put the original mechanicals back in. Fortunately, there are plently or restored GTE bodys floating around to 'correct' what we see here...

Regards,

Art S.