250GT SWB Replica Availability? Price? | FerrariChat

250GT SWB Replica Availability? Price?

Discussion in 'Recreations & Non-Period Rebodies' started by FF4X4, Apr 2, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FF4X4

FF4X4 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2016
    I am in love with the 250 SWB.
    In light of $10 mill prices, I am considering a re-creation / re-bodied version. It MUST be as true to an original as humanly possible.
    Is such a thing out there? Where?
    What can I expect to pay?

Thank you!

2. -K1-

-K1- Formula Junior

Jul 10, 2008
    Northern Italy
    Full Name:
    Ken
    GTO Engineering are the best in the business and a sponsor here

3. FF4X4

FF4X4 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2016
    Thank you - I sent them an email.

4. 275nart

275nart Rookie

Jan 3, 2017
    SC
  5. tomgt

tomgt F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Tom Wiggers
    Contact Hietbrink Coachbuilding
    The one and only correct 250 SWB Sefac Hotrod Comp/61 replica.
    The rebodied comp/61 2445GT looks silly compared to this stunning replica.
    PM me if you need a donor.

6. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    These days it is considered bad form to chop a donor car that is saveble. It is possible to build the whole thing nut and bolt accurate from scratch.

7. FF4X4

FF4X4 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2016
    Thanks to all.
    GTO Engineering can do it - and they need a donor car.
    Fiber glass is not an option for me. Looks great though.

Based on my initial research, it sounds like a re-creation (without a donor car) is the best option for me. I would appreciate any leads on where to start.

Thank you!

8. FF4X4

FF4X4 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2016
    Hietbrink Coachbuilding looks like a good start.
    Just need a few additional parts such as an engine, trans, wheels, maybe some nuts and bolts....

greg512tr likes this.
  9. 275nart

275nart Rookie

Jan 3, 2017
    SC
    perhaps Mastercraft automotive creations in Dallas, TX

Gallery ? MC Auto Creations

10. davidoloan

davidoloan Formula Junior

May 6, 2009
    Full Name:
    David
    Do you mean they build the chassis? How will you register it for road use?

11. mechaniker

mechaniker Formula Junior
    Owner

May 30, 2004
    Germany
    Have been at Hietbrinks Shop some weeks ago.

They make new chassis. Very impressive.

But without VIN, or You have to deal with the process of getting a VIN.

12. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    I was looking over the new bare chassis of GTO engineerings latest 250 SWB built only a few weeks ago, lovely piece of kit.

Kevin and Ian there are great guys.

13. davidoloan

May 6, 2009
    Full Name:
    David
    #13 davidoloan, Sep 20, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
    Leaving aside the on-going UK DVLA situation with regard to bitsa and replica cars, how far could you go, in using only the identity of a real 250 Ferrari, but without destroying it, to build a replica 250 SWB or GTO, only purchasing or having constructed all parts?

You can buy a chassis from Hietbrink or GTO engineering, new engine & GTO gearbox from GTO engineering, suspension components, lots of suspension and small parts and have a body made at Hietbrink.

Is there anything to stop you building a complete car without touching the original 250, other than its identity?

14. damian in nj

damian in nj Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 24, 2009
  15. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    Fantasy Junction frequently has replicas, and if not in stock they will know where they are.

16. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    Coming back to this slightly late:

So you would be putting the old 250 VIN/Chassis number from an original Ferrari built car, onto what would in reality be a completely brand new car that Ferrari never built, and that has absolutely nothing to do with the original car whatsoever? - Take a wild guess at what the legality of that would be!

17. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    There are suggestions that this is exactly what happens in historic racing and has been for several decades - the issues arise if one tries to sell

18. davidoloan

May 6, 2009
    Full Name:
    David
    Its a current live issue with the UK vehicle licensing department, with special regard to Bugatti recreations and bitsa cars. However, their "crackdown" has been regarded as unreasonable and policies may develop or change. Anyways as things stand, they have to know what you have done, and they often won't.

19. Mattie69

Mattie69 Karting

Aug 26, 2016
    Is there anybody out there making an acurate 250 California spyder fiberglass body? Have a aluminum body and frame complete and ready sell today?

20. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    The legality is that if the owner of the replica is also the owner of the donor then it is perfectly legal.

However if the owner seeks to register the car with the authorities in order to use it on the road then they need to comply with that countries requirements.

In the UK owners of such cars will soon have to verify via a tick box that the car in question has not been modified post 1988, if it has then it needs to meet the 8 point rule to retain its ID, clearly a pure VIN plate swapped replica would not get the points, so it then has to pass a stringent test, lose its Ferrari title and be allocated a q plate, essentially killing its UK resale value.

The general consensus seems to be that owners will simply tick the non modified box and play dumb as there is no mechanism in place with the recent changes to fall in line with EU regs to catch them out anyway, as its purely a tick box exercise to keep Brussels happy until Brexit. If they do get found out they plan to simply de register the car in the UK and use it on track only, and potentially re register it in another less stringent country or sell it abroad.

of2worlds likes this.
  21. davidoloan

May 6, 2009
    Full Name:
    David

Do you know what caused the DVLA to proactively look at individual Bugatti's and start asking questions?

22. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    They have been forced to fall in line with euro regs, even though we are on the way out!

Hopefully the nonsense will be dropped post Brexit.

I believe it all started though with the Pur Sang Bugattis receiving historic registration and free road tax as a result when they were in fact new builds.