250 SWB on ebay... | FerrariChat

250 SWB on ebay...

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by djaffrey, May 10, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. djaffrey

djaffrey Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2004
    London, England
    Full Name:
    DJ
  2. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    #2 Marcel Massini, May 10, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Have you looked at the seller's feedback? ONLY 96 percent positive, that's not exactly what it could be. This car has been shopped around the planet for the past 2 years. Broker Garry Roberts in CA had it for sale until April 2006, asking price US Dollars $ 1'495'000 (not GB Pounds). It was last owned by a Chinese who was going through a divorce and who had put it on consignment with Roberts.
    Below are pix showing the new chassis badge, the "unusual" stamping of the chassis number (note the "6") and the partially filed-off engine number.
    COPYRIGHT MARCEL MASSINI
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. Bob Zambelli

Bob Zambelli F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Manning, SC
    Full Name:
    Robert G. Zambelli
    Hi, Marcel - this may seem like a silly question but, assuming it is a road (not comp) car, shouldn't it have an air cleaner?
    I had many street 250s come through my shop in the 70s and 80s, including a Lusso, some PF Coupes and a few GTEs. As far as I recall, they all had the oval air filters.

Comment?

Bob Z.

4. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Yes, it was born as a street car.
    Marcel Massini

5. George J.

George J. Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2005
    Bay area, CA
    Full Name:
    George J
    Right, but what model of street car? - George

6. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
  7. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    Well they never did and i don't think this one will.

Asking price.
    Seeking Fool and Money

For comparison

http://www.fantasyjunction.com/used-cars.php?id=76c1859f66f6b29588f61a0421b05f33

http://www.fantasyjunction.com/used-cars.php?id=1227e2f14cb5251f5b89787a2ad8021c

Actual race history is more valuable and even then they don't hit this guys chandelier

8. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    While i can't comment on the listing i can say with absolute certainty that the pictures in the auction are taken in the Wandsworth area. The pictures by the river were taken in Putney, which is about 2 mins away from Wandsworth and i have walked along that boat loading area many times....my grandparents live in Putney and we walk along there all the time.

9. v15ben

v15ben Formula 3

Aug 12, 2004
    Yorkshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Ben
    That is definitely the location Chris. A London based dealer called Classic Chrome who do sell plenty of top end cars on commission take all their shots there. I have a picture of an old Aston in exactly the same spot. The dealer is based in Wandsworth just round the ring road from Joe Macari (supercar dealer.) I wonder if the car is anything to do with Classic Chrome or just utter coincidence that the photo was taken in the same spot??

10. SefacHotRodder

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Marcel, why do you think the car has been so "beat up" like this? Why would someone file off the the engine #? Could it be a different engine with a restamped #?

11. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    I see the issues Marcel brought up. I asume you have been up close and personal with this car... Any input?

12. SefacHotRodder

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Me? No, i was just curious as to why it was so beat up. I was wondering if Marcel knew. I don't see why a chassis plate needs to be replaced unless something bad happened or if its a replica or something

13. Argento

Argento Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Argentium
    It was bought very recently from Andrew Hall & Peter Bradfield, of Hall & Bradfield, Kensington, London for a little over £800k.

Argento

14. v15ben

v15ben Formula 3

Aug 12, 2004
    Yorkshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Ben
    That would explain the location of the picture then as H&B are only over the river from Wandsworth.

15. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    Paging Marcel Paging Marcel or oldGuy or someone there are questions afloat...

16. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    #16 John Vardanian, May 11, 2006
    There is something I have wondered about for a while. It has to do with the nose of the 250SWB. Some cars have especially down-pointed noses and some have especially upright noses, which translates to positioning of the headlights in relation to the ground.

Compare these two pictures. The gray car has a lower nose. Look at the distance between the headlights and the parking lights and you'll find the difference in height between the two cars.

I noticed that generally the aluminum cars have lower noses and the Lusso versions have higher ones. And, some cars yet have very high noses, like our ebay car.

However, the Rob Walker car (S. Moss) was a comp car but it had the higher nose too.

Any educated comments? Thanks.

john

17. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth

Are you questioning the provenance of the car? If not, I don't understand why you posted the pictures.

Ken

18. lancia

lancia Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    I suggest that many of the competition SWB's and many of the vintage-raced or modified SWB's no longer have their original nose profiles due to crashes. A fair number of these cars have nose repairs that only vaguely match the original shape, which varied somewhat anyway. It takes an artist in metal - with a good eye - to capture this shape and grille opening right. Compare to still original cars and early photos. Many of the seriously run SWB's today are also running on wider wheels than typical of their era, detracting, IMHO, from their original balanced stance. (I do not claim to know the state of originality of the cars pictured.)

19. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    True, but, this difference is even noticable in period pictures.

john

20. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Car is now owned by UK dealer Richard Edwards who had it put on ebay.
    I have been very close to this car and carefully inspected it not too long ago. Hall & Bradfield sold it 11/03 to Joel and Kim Laub of Las Vegas/NV. After the 08/04 Concorso Italiano it was for sale thru various dealers in USA.
    Marcel Massini

21. vincer77

vincer77 Karting

Dec 12, 2003
    Is this the car referenced in this article?

22. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005

WHAT article are you talking about???
    Marcel Massini

23. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    #23 Marcel Massini, May 14, 2006
    Here's a photo showing 250 GT SWB Berlinetta Scaglietti #2765 GT in the late 1960s, when advertised as a 250 GTO (which it never was, of course) in Switzerland.
    Marcel Massini

24. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    ok Marcel i think i am reading you, 2765 was rebodied as a GTO and then somehow brought back to original as a SWB... Am i following?

25. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Rebodied is a bit much. I'd say "modified" into a GTO-look-a-like, then advertised/offered as a GTO. That was in the late 60s. It has since been rebodied back to normal SWB Berlinetta Scaglietti configuration.
    Marcel Massini