250 SWB body differences ? | FerrariChat

250 SWB body differences ?

Discussion in 'Recreations & Non-Period Rebodies' started by f40-lm, May 13, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. f40-lm

f40-lm Rookie

May 31, 2006
    Can anyone help with info on any changes between the 250 SWB cars?

Is there a thread somewhere I can find this information that may already exist?

I have noticed that the door side windows in pics of some SWB have a different shape/top line

And also I have noticed that some cars have a lipped rear wheel arch

I am trying to piece together information to understand any body differences. And also differentiate genuine cars from replicas.

Thanks.

2. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    The main difference is steel, or aluminum....but the link cited covers the yearly evolutions.

3. f40-lm

f40-lm Rookie

May 31, 2006
  4. Timmmmmmmmmmy

Timmmmmmmmmmy F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2010
    NZ
    Full Name:
    Timothy Russell
    You may also have noted that several, 7, of the cars that look like SWB's are actually the Interim Berlinetta's built on the Tour de France platform that have a different side profile and completely different rear quarter panel treatment since they have a 200mm longer wheelbase.. Otherwise a lot have minor differences in the trim and other minor details.

5. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    One thing that is overlooked is the shape of the front wings and the position of the headlamps. The later cars' front wings do not slope down as far, so the headlights are mounted higher. In my opinion, this makes the later cars not a sleek looking as the earlier cars. If you put the two Rob Walker cars side by side and look at them head-on you'll see this difference.

john

6. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    See also Cavallino No.25.

7. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    The line drawings don't address your original question, so yes, there is a different line at the top of the side windows. The early cars have a more pronounced break, while the later ones have a smoother line.

Also, there were different mechanical specs and small visual oddities, such as placement of the fuel filler, type of rear window vent, sliding windows, etc. along the way. The culmination of the series included the model known as "'61 Comp" or "SEFAC Hot-rod", which looked almost identical to the standard 1961 version, but was skinned with very thin aluminum and featured a very powerful engine with size 46 carbs. These can often be identified by the fuel splash guard over an exhaust and (in some) the plexi bug guard on the front hood. Search 2689GT for an example.

8. f40-lm

f40-lm Rookie

May 31, 2006
    Thanks for all the input. I am hoping to learn more about the real 250 SWB cars (and other classic Ferraris)

This question was mainly to help looking for ways to distinguish replicas from the genuine article!
    There seem to be very many replicas popping up in UK and now US (supposedly based on GTE's)

If anyone has helpful tips on telltale signs, would be highly appreciated.

9. Lussolover

Lussolover Karting

Sep 22, 2014
    Basically you just get a photo and ask Marcel? Sometimes you just need to know who to ask!