250 Lusso available. Is this price considered high or low? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

250 Lusso available. Is this price considered high or low?

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by tifoso2728, Dec 2, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. geno berns

geno berns F1 Rookie

Oct 26, 2006
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Geno
    Agreed. Dino is the bonus!

2. mdw3

mdw3 Karting

Jan 2, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I'm not sure I understand this. You "would grab it today" if what? And someone else "will grab it in 10-15 years" from you at a profit? Or a loss? Irrespective of the non-matching-number problem? Or because you might paint it blue? But you aren't actually looking to buy this car (or any car), and this is a theoretical, fantasy scenario? And, by the way, for some (or even most) owners, 100% of the Lusso experience might just include participating in Ferrari-sanctioned events or winning trophies, the likes of which might be off limits to you as a non-matching-numbers-car owner.

375+ likes this.
  3. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Although the non matching numbers engine does affect its value and will put off buyers, it's not all bad news as it's not as if the engine is from a different model such as a 250 GTE or PF as it does have a correct Lusso engine.

4. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Yes.

Four months on the market, a price reduction, and now no price suggested that it was too high to begin with.

Matt

5. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    The market for Enzo era GT cars is S L O W at the moment. The few serious buyers out there will only consider cars with NO issues. My 2 cents.

Caeruleus11, Smiles and tifoso2728 like this.
  6. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion

Not entirely true. You do see many Lussos at actual driving events in Europe such as the Tour Auto or the Modena Cento Oro. Events where a non matching # engine wouldn't be an issue and an where people have much more fun than just parking the car on the grass to be judged and actually use them as cars. I'm sure the cooper state rally or the Colorado grand would welcome this Lusso as well.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  7. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Just curious, what driving events wouldn't accept a Classiche-certified Lusso, even if it is a non-matching number engine? For that matter, what concours events (let's face it, a normal Lusso isn't a "Pebble Beach" type of car anyway) wouldn't accept it?

8. johngtc

johngtc Formula Junior
    Owner

Mar 4, 2005
    Yorkshire, UK
    Full Name:
    John Gould
    One small point. The Copley description makes no mention of UK ownership but in the pictures the car is bearing UK plates YNF 377A, Does this imply another part of the ownership chain?

9. mdw3

mdw3 Karting

Jan 2, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Sure, it might be welcomed at the Colorado Grand; but for the fact that this event specifically accepts only 1960 and earlier year sports cars.

10. mdw3

mdw3 Karting

Jan 2, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Generally speaking, any event that is held officially under the auspices of (or with the support of) Ferrari SpA (or Ferrari Classiche) would not accept a car that has not been certified or corrected to factory specifications under Ferrari's certification program. A car that remains non-matching but is otherwise "corrected" and certified could be included, but would be unlikely to take honors at any serious judged event.

Michael

11. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    This car specifically says in the ad it's certified by Ferrari Classiche. So I'll repeat my question, are there any significant Ferrari events that a normal Lusso might be invited to, where this car wouldn't be welcome?

12. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    I don't know that it would be "excluded" because it has the wrong engine. So, my answer to your question is no. I also agree with mdw3 and his post #35.

13. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    This car is still at Copley. I started this thread Dec. 2nd. Hmmmm . . . . .

14. jippiejake

jippiejake Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 6, 2012
    Venice Beach
    Full Name:
    Mike Kerns
    I feel this car has been at Copley a lot longer than 4 months, its more like a year I think?
    I made an offer 5 months ago after seeing it advertised for a number months. Couldn't get any major discounts at that time. Maybe today is different.
    I get the numbers matching thing, everyone wants that for sue when possibly.
    There is a very nice Lusso (red) over at Chequered Flag in the Marina Del Rey that they have had for a while now. A few years ago they were asking $2.2m, and now its $1.8m.

15. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    I first noticed it in November. It looks wonderful. Anyway, has anyone made an offer on it lately?

16. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    So what would be a fair price for this Lusso? $1,2m if a matching # car is $1,8m? Less than $1,2m?

17. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    That’s the big question. I don’t think we get an answer until the seller accepts an offer. And we hear about it.

Here’s the historic Hagerty values for the Lusso:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

I think values have stabilized over the past six months. But it takes a brave soul to purchase a car with an incorrect engine in a declining market. It may be extremely hard to turn around and sell it again.

And why buy a car with an incorrect engine when you can always buy a proper one?

I’ll be very curious to see how this plays out.

Matt

tifoso2728 and 375+ like this.
  18. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
    Well, the fact that it has been for sale for so long tells us that the price is too high for this example.

19. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Right.

But not only was the original asking price too high, the market has shifted.

So what’s the right price now?

Even the seller doesn’t know!

Matt

MarkL and 375+ like this.
  20. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Anyone knows if it sold? No longer listed. I saw Copley had it over at Pebble. Maybe someone snapped it.

21. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    No listing doesn’t mean it sold. The Pur Sang I had my eye on proved that. It didn’t sell, but isn’t listed.

But I’m curious too.

Matt

amenasce likes this.
  22. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    The Lusso in the Bonham's auction today at Goodwood was a No Sale.

23. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    how high/low was the estimate price?

24. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    375+ likes this.
  25. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    I’m not sure what relevance 5565 has on chassis 4513, other than to serve to drive its value way down.

Matt