250 GTO repro body | FerrariChat

250 GTO repro body

Discussion in 'Recreations & Non-Period Rebodies' started by Horsefly, Mar 14, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    On E-bay:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FERRARI-250-GTO-ALUMINIUM-ITALIAN-BODY_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ6763QQitemZ8046545088QQrdZ1

Exactly who made this body? In reference to the $16,000 asking price: If anybody can have a similar body made by whatever company is making them, what would they have to pay for it directly from the coachmaker? And let's have the 250 GTO experts tell us what is good, or bad, about this body.
    (Yes, we know it's a repro, but it's a strange thing to find on E-bay.)
    Is this body of recent manufacture, or something that was made years ago and is just now seeing the light of day?

2. GTB4NART

GTB4NART Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2004
    I would guess it's a Favre body because it's in France. A Favre is probably the best recreation because he had kind of a sordid reputation and ended his life with a bullet. Still a fake, but even the fakes are developing a provenance lately. Slap that body on a new Z06 chassis and make the Ferrari guys cringe (but secretly applaud) and the non-Ferrari guys applaud loudly. If I had a year or two to kill, I do it!

I would guess that a duplicate body would be north of $150k. Greg Jones could do it.

3. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    As far as I know, Favre used bodies made by in Italy (Giordanengo?). It is difficult to judge the body by such crappy pictures. The roof/side window line seems to be the most difficult part of the design to get right. The a-pillar looks to be pretty OK on this one, but rear quarter view might show the roof line better. Best wishes, Kare

4. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    How did the manufacturer of this body, (or any GTO body maker) get a mould to make an accurate body? Who of the 39 original GTO owners would allow them to take a mould off their car? Or did they find some ancient mould or wooden buck that has been in existance for decades to use as a pattern?

5. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    My friend, ex 50's F1 racer, Clemar Bucci built several replicas of MB's conquering 300SLR. He took careful measurements and had a wire frame made in Buenos Aires then had the panels hand beaten in aluminum

It took years to do

6. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    I'd like to have it painted and hung on the wall of my pool room...

what do you think it'll go for?

7. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    Measure up photos, and you can make a bodybuck. Take a few control measures of a real car and you can get very close. Make a few cardboard templates and you can get very very close. Very few replica builders go all the way which is why so many replicas look so awful.

8. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I thought at least one replica was made for the owner of a real GTO, in which case they would of course have the real car to check whatever they needed.