250 GTO for sale? | Page 8 | FerrariChat

250 GTO for sale?

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by MRG22, Jun 10, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Yes, wasn't it that they kept the leaf spring set up on the GTO as IRS would have been too different, and along with the other changes, not considered to be an evolution of the 250 GT SWB and not homologated? The SWB didn't have Watts Linkage but was introduced on the GTO.

2. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    That's what I remember.
    Calling the GTO an evolution was a stretch as it was.

3. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    I heard Preston Hen sold his Ferrari to a charity of which he is the head and took a $40,000,000 charitable deduction - the IRS fought it but lost - the car never changed locations - don't know if this is true but it is the story in the fort Lauderdale area

4. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    so that judge knew a thing or two about vintage Ferrari's? Hm...

;)

5. Drive550PFB

Drive550PFB Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

In light of the $27.5 million NART, has anyone confirmed the $53 million GTO?

6. odgemeister

odgemeister Karting

Feb 5, 2012
    From a few people I've spoken to, the $53m deal hasn't happened afaik. Guess it boils down to only selling if you're skint as there is nothing else to buy; the GTO is an 'apex car'. And I doubt there are many owners who are up. This will probably just drive offers up! I've also heard rumours an offer of $47m was made for a GTO and immediately rejected.

7. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    #182 Ashman, Aug 22, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
    While there is always the possibility of an injudicious financial risk taken by an owner that results in a reversal of fortune that would cause the car to "become available", most of the owners are smart enough not to do that at the stage of life and financial condition that they are in and that enabled them to buy one of these in the first place. As a consequence, the rare vehicle that becomes available on the market will be only in the unlikely event that the owner has grown tired of it, wants to trade it for a different one (a la TP), or more likely, has reached the limit of mortality and his heirs would prefer the money. I suppose sometimes, as in the case of PP a few years ago, the owner decides to pre-empt the heirs but that is unusual.

8. Timmmmmmmmmmy

Timmmmmmmmmmy F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2010
    NZ
    Full Name:
    Timothy Russell
    It will be interesting to see if the Generation X or Y will have as much interest in the OLD classics as the baby - boomers did. The kid in the 1970s/ 1980s generation are driving prices of Lamborghini Countach (periscope) and Porsche 959 higher and higher. A proportion of the current owners of GTO's arent getting any younger and when they die will they get treated/ sold like art (timeless) or like a used car (not timeless). Duesenbergs, 8C Alfa's and others are still popular, so could be a flawed argument but only time will tell.

9. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    The Dusenberg and 8C Alfas, along with Packards, Cadillac V16s, Bugattis, Rolls Royce, Bentley, Delahaye, Talbot Lago, Hispano Suizas, other notable classics and even Marmons, Pierce Arrows and Stutz Bearcats, would be excellent examples of notable motorcars that have an appeal and value that extends well beyond the generation that grew up when they were new.

I think that the 250GTO will follow a similar path.

10. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    I won't suggest my experience is a reflection of the market, but I am 39, have been into vintage Ferrari's for some time. I don't know anyone my age chasing after a 959. The countach, yes, but not the periscopa, but rather the anniversary cars. I am to so much a Lamborghini guy, I would go with vintage and not newer, but even I had a poster of the mid eighties model on the wall.

11. TOOLFAN

TOOLFAN F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2005
    California
    Please tell me, who have you spoken with? I will be more than happy to give you the Serial number of the GTO that sold in private. Several people reading/posting in this thread know the car that sold.

12. TOOLFAN

TOOLFAN F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2005
    California
    Feel free to PM me for the serial number if you like.

13. Lfpontes

Lfpontes Karting

Nov 1, 2010
    São Paulo
    Full Name:
    Luiz.
    Heard something about 3851GT becoming available.. anybody knows anything about that?

14. collector247

collector247 Rookie

May 19, 2013
    Germany - Stuttgart
    Ferrari 250 GTO #3851 is offered now a few years, but there are a lot of stories on the market...

I check at the moment a new offer to buy this car for one of my friends...

The situation behind this car is not clear, because the collection which includes this car is in a bad situation to sell it. The childrens of the owner are not 100% sure and also the situation with taxes is not clear...

So there are a lot of stories in the past and you have always to check the new situation in hope, that they have now the motivation to sell it...

15. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Yes, as far as I'm aware it has been tied up with the rest of the Collezione Maranello Rosso in the estate of Fabrizio Violati. I do not know all of the details.

16. thepinkumbrella

thepinkumbrella F1 Veteran

Feb 26, 2006
    United Kingdom
    A Series II car sold in the past ten days for circa $50,000,000.

Paul

17. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Did it come out of the US? Someone contacted me a few weeks ago about a 250 GTO that was supposedly coming up on the market, but I never got any further confirmation.

18. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
  19. MSM

MSM Rookie

May 5, 2008
    Switzerland
  20. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    *5573* is certainly my favourite classic Ferrari for many years!
    CH

21. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    5573 sold for $48m according to Anamera.

22. Onebugatti

Onebugatti Formula Junior
    BANNED

Apr 2, 2008
    Centre Europe
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    That is not only inaccurate, it's simply not the truth.

23. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Barchetta quotes the 48m figure too but doesn't actually give the currency. So, what is the truth?

24. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    The three D's feed the market Death, Divorce and Dissolution some like to add Drugs and Disability

25. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    The cars are much more interesting without all the $$$ involved. They are so much more than alternative investments. Sometimes I think the watch forums have it right by prohibiting talk of pricing and value. I love the cars, not the asset class.