250 GT on Ebay | FerrariChat

250 GT on Ebay

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by racey red, Feb 12, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. racey red

racey red Rookie

Jul 11, 2004
    1962 250 GT on Ebay. The car has been retrofitted with an American engine. How much would it cost to get a used 250 engine and transmission? Is the 250 GTE engine the same? Do you think that this car is ruined as a potential collector car if you could find the correct engine? The car sure looks pretty.

2. teterman2004

teterman2004 Formula Junior

Jan 15, 2005
    Eielson, Alaska
    Full Name:
    BriBud
    It's all about condition, history, authenticity, and originality. Ferraris are all about the 12 blazing cylinders, so this car wouldn't even be considered a "real" ferrari anymore. . . BUT, if you found and installed a period motor, just how big a hit would the car's "original" value take? I would guess 15-20%, but I have no experience in this area.

Imagine two ways the car could look afterward, however:

--1) The V-8 iron stripped back out and replaced with a 400i motor that leaks oil and needs a major service. . . (and if anything else isn't original, so what, it's red, isn't it?)

vs

--2) A period '62 full dry-sump, 6 weber, GTO spec dual cam monster, built using specs common to privateer racecars in the 60s. . .(and the frame, brakes, transmission tunnel, firewall, interior, etc all returned to original spec)

A fascinating car, in any event, just how the heck could someone treat this car like a 1985 XJ6?!! Almost adds to its history. . . (if it sang with a 12cyl once again, of course)

3. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

It looks like the hood strut has been modified, as well as the latch. Wonder what else in the engine bay has been modified. The seats do not look correct to me, but maybe just some stuff removed when they were recovered. Where are the adjustment levers? The dash is completely covered with leather or ? and may be modified. There is something wrong with the rear luggage bench, it doesn't look like it is there. I think the wheel knock off ears are wrong, and maybe the wheels themselves. If someone can see these areas better than me and add any corrections please do. The transnsmission tunnel is completely changed. The steering column doesn't look right, and I've never seen one of these with power windows, can any one elaborate on that.
    All I can compare this car to is older cars that I have seen.

4. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Wow!.....what's the real VIN on that.........?????????

5. Bryan

Bryan Formula 3

The 250 PFs from 1962 that I have are...none! The last 250 PF was in 1960. SN 2081.

1327 and 1927 are both 250 PF coupes.

6. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ

Good point, the last production GT250 according to the Ferrari Register is GT2081.

7. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    And this is an early car.

Bryan, not 1927.

8. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    def too long! Maybe that's the GM engine number from the donor Suburban...

9. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Message from the seller:

10. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ

Thats interesting!!!

11. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    I emailed him his own photo of the engine bay with a circle around the chassis plate and asked him to verify the s/n on the plate. His response:

12. Bryan

Bryan Formula 3

Maybe it's the VIN of the engine! <g>

The seller has 4 negative comment out of 521 total comments, as a buyer...that's about as high a percentage as I have seen.

No comments as a seller.

13. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    The ultimate indignity…

This poor car would have suffered less humiliation had it been used as a chicken coop or left in a field with a tree growing through it. The Pope in a leisure suit would be a nobler sight.

john

14. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    auction over - sweet jesus, someone paid $38,222 for this

15. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I think that's a realistic price. My guess was $50K reserve but that was before it was thouroghly dissected on Tom Yang's board. If this car is more original and less butchered than everyone thinks, it's a good re-conversion or Ferrari Hot Rod candidate. If left as is, it's still a unique cruiser for reasonable $.

16. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    What was the Ferrari VIN? Did it have one?????

Who bought it????

Agreed SOMETHING would have to happen to it!

The planter idea has merit!!!!! In East Texas they don't always check under the hood.....

17. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Sold at 38K