246 Replica? Hold the flames! | Page 5 | FerrariChat

246 Replica? Hold the flames!

Discussion in '206/246' started by Mattnshilp, Jan 6, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dignini

dignini Formula 3

Aug 21, 2005
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Luigi Marazzi
    Perhaps some replicas, copies etc have earned respect in their own right. especially, in my view, Cobras.
    the GT40 is another one that done right will, again in my view, work. Mostly I think, because the working parts are available.

308s built on Fiero package don't work
    Daytonas on Rover 3500 chassis don't work
    Kelmark Gts, are not Dino replicas

Ferrari is probably more interested in protecting the collector market by preventing a 250 becoming a fake 250gto, than a fiberglass knock off

2. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Lambo....the sensibilities of a 9 year old.

Sounds about right.

Hopefully he'll grow out of it. :D

3. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I wish nobody ever, ever made a single fake Shelby Cobra.

I'm sorry... that's how I feel. If someone made fake 250 Testarossa's and you saw one every weekend (as you do Shelby Cobra's) I can't believe I'd have the same feeling seeing a real one. I applaud Ferrari for trying to stamp out fakes and replicas made without permission.

Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.

4. dignini

dignini Formula 3

Aug 21, 2005
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Luigi Marazzi
    I agree of course, in your view would calling thme something else help?

instead of cobra call it a viper?

5. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    A Viper is not even close to being a Cobra. They are apples and oranges. And, I've already said I'm OK with cars like the Ford GT because they don't even try to make you think it's an original.

What I'm referring to is a copy. I see copy Cobra's all the time running around and I know they are all fakes.

So, no.... it's not just the name or a label slapped on the hood. A copy is a copy. A fake is a fake.

To me, a fake is like a lie. You try to make people believe it's one thing that it ireally sn't. I don't like it when people lie to me. I think most people don't.

6. dignini

dignini Formula 3

Aug 21, 2005
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Luigi Marazzi
    The kit in question here was made to look like a Dino and is promoted as such.
    I did not like it at all because it is a fake and would not provide any of the sensory attributes of a real Dino. Not sure if I would go as far as to say no one should make kits like this as long they do not associate the original in the blurb. does that make any sense?

7. Julio Batista

Julio Batista Formula 3

Dec 22, 2005
    Your son has EXCELLENT taste. Nearly perfect.

Like him, I dislike red Ferraris and I hate Ferraris with slats. But I think that the 246 GTS, alas, is not as beautiful as the GTB...

8. Mattnshilp

Mattnshilp Karting

Nov 19, 2010
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Matt
    There is no apology needed. But there is really no response either. An absolute statement like that is made with passion, and I respect that. I disagree with it, but i respect it. :)

Can I ask a more pertinent question which may get this thread moving in a productive direction again???

I would love to know how many miles a year you guys are putting on your 246's? And if the 246 is your second, or third car (or more). Thanks!

9. Julio Batista

Julio Batista Formula 3

Dec 22, 2005
    I found this wonderful post earlier in the thread. I think Michael B asks a particularly relevant and revealing question:

The answer, Michael B., is a resounding and confident yes. That's it. A Cobra is just a Ford, and that makes it perfectly OK.

Now you know. A Ford is not a Ferrari.

10. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    When I had my Dino in the mid to late 80's, it was my daily driver. In fact, it was the only car I had for over 2 years.

11. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    We can thank Ingegnere Ferrari for that, Julio! Fred

12. Julio Batista

Julio Batista Formula 3

Dec 22, 2005
    For that, and for much more!!!!!!!:)

Julio

13. Julio Batista

Julio Batista Formula 3

Dec 22, 2005
    First and favorite car, 2-3 rallyes per year, weekend commuter, 20-25000 km/year.

14. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Two 246 GTs, fourth and fifth (or first and second!) cars, only about 300-400 miles each, per year. Fred

15. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    #115 BigTex, Jan 10, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2011
    I have three early 308GTBs, for reference...less than 1K miles/year total, across all of them together, and I fire them up whenever I have time and the urge strikes.....

It's more of an "event or weekend car" now that they have gotten so expensive to repair crash damage..

You really don't feel much motivation to go out and tangle with some daily driver Taurus or something....so the Ferraris are my third, forth, and fifth cars, counting thru them all.

A Toyota truck is my daily driver and I rack up the miles on a Pontiac TransAm without guilt or comtemplation of depreciation impact as they are just so FUN!!!

*big wide Goodyears smoking down the street*

16. Buxton

Buxton Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2010
    Full Name:
    B Buxton
    You realize that you're saying this to a plastic surgeon?
    The man lives to make repros

17. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    What he said.

There are so many fake Cobras that they have become something of a joke. No one bothers to ask anymore, outside of serious classic car events.

18. Mattnshilp

Mattnshilp Karting

Nov 19, 2010
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Matt
    I have been reading and looking and studying and thinking.

What I realized with some deep thought is that I am SO motivated to get into a 246 as quickly as possible that I was willing to make sacrifices and poor decisions to do so. A replicar 246 may look sorta like a Dino, but when it came time it just wouldn't satisfy.

So I'm making a formal apology. And an official public," What the hell was I thinking??!!??".

I still don't have a problem with the high quality Ford GT and Cobra replicas though. :)

I would love some serious advice though. Do you guts think that prices will change a lot in the next 3-5 years?

Am I better off buying in now (a decent but not mint driver) when it's not quite in the budget (it would really be a stretch, but it's doable) or waiting a few years. I'm just worried prices will jump as the economy improves and a $120k car now will be $150k in 5 years....

Thoughts??

19. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    I think the prices for good Dinos will probably go up over the years, but not appreciably so. The advice "buy the best example you can afford" still applies, so if one scrimps and saves, postponing the purchase until the budget can accommodate a really good Dino plus a daily driver might be wise.

By the way the "new" Ford GT isn't a replica; it is bigger and shares no dimensions with the original. It is a good car and looks like the 60s version at first glance. The good GT40 replicas are the Superformance models, which look identical to and can share many parts with the original. The ERA is good too, but the Superformance is probably closer to the original in terms of suspension, brakes, and other mechanical details. Both use a monocoque tub like the original, unlike the lesser GT40 replicas that use tube frames. The GT40 makes for a good replica because it is a competition car, was made in few numbers (hence no difficult-to-reproduce molded dashboards, etc.), and the engine, gearbox, and drive train are still available. And the originals cost over a million dollars. It will be hard to tell a very good Superformance GT40 from the original GT40. (I know this because I have been flitting dangerously close to the idea of buying one, but budget and reason prevailed. Plus the wife's veto.)

On the other hand, at the price it would take to replicate a Dino faithfully, one might as well buy a real one. That is why there are no good Dino replicas.

My best, and good luck, doctor.

Andres

20. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    A true enthusiast. It is an honor to post on the same board as you.

What the hell are you thinking??!!??

21. Julio Batista

Julio Batista Formula 3

Dec 22, 2005
    Well done!

I think prices are unlikely to move much in the neqr future.

22. Mattnshilp

Mattnshilp Karting

Nov 19, 2010
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Matt
    I'm waiting for the +1 from Bdelp...

Couldn't help myself. :p

Truly LOL!!!

Oh, I did actually mean the GT40 replica. The Superformance, BackDraft Racing and other variants.

I promise Bullfighter and bdelp, No more about replicas; I can see they make you sick to your stomachs. As a physician, it's against my Hippocratic Oath to intentionally make someone sick! :)

23. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    All I'll add is this:

:)

24. michael platzer

michael platzer F1 Veteran

Nov 12, 2003
    Austria
    Full Name:
    Michael Platzer
    That Dino replica looks absolutely stupid.
    How will you look and feel driving such a ridiculous thing?

Take your 50+ thousands and buy the best 308 GTS you can find!

25. Mattnshilp

Mattnshilp Karting

Nov 19, 2010
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Matt
    I agree. Although for $50k I thought I could get a nicely sorted 328.

308 qv's are running high $30's. No?

I am at the point that I need to decide to go for a nicely sorted 3x8 now or just put that money away towards a 246.

The 246 just isn't in the budget now.

Decisions decisions...