246 Replica? Hold the flames! | Page 4 | FerrariChat

246 Replica? Hold the flames!

Discussion in '206/246' started by Mattnshilp, Jan 6, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bradley

Bradley F1 Rookie

Nov 23, 2006
    Lakewood, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Bradley
    #76 Bradley, Jan 8, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2011
    It's not about the Dino replica anymore, which the OP said about a page ago that he's not going to buy. This has devolved into an irresolvable pissing contest and it's pointless. I'm done here. I get so sick of this "Oh, I'm so offended" / "You insulted me" /"No, YOU did" / "You're arrogant" / "I know you are but what am I?" crap.

2. Mattnshilp

Mattnshilp Karting

Nov 19, 2010
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Matt
    I gotta tell you, Fernando, I love the analogy!!! But I am pretty sure Cindy Crawford's mole is enhanced... ;). hehe. Couldn't help myself.

I agree fellas. This thread has been killed. On to the next.

But thank you all for your input. It really did help.

3. jselevan

jselevan Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    Hey - what's wrong with aspiring to be a South Beach surgeon? My father was a proctologist on South Beach back when we called it Bagel Beach, and that was when I was a kid hanging out at the dog track on 1st street in the 50s. That's the 1950s for those not familiar with math or history. So he didn't have a web site; big deal, nonetheless, he was the biggest ass man in town. If Dr. Clott aspires to walk in his shoes, albeit in New Jersey, that's okay too. And Urotrash means no harm, just Saturday Night Live banter, so, as espoused by that noted scholar Rodney King, "why can't we all just get along?"

And Greg246 knows an angle or two, he can see right through this argument. He would read a CT Scan of this collective head as QNS (quantity not sufficient), 'kinda' like when I draw a blood test and can't get enough blood for a full test, or when the colon biopsy comes back "normal splenic pulp", or the sternal bone marrow biopsy is read as "Syphilitic aortitis".

Guys, this ought to be fun. All new members welcome. Ferrari owners are not much different than doctors...opinionated, strong willed, sometimes successful, and outspoken, and not as smart as engineers.

As offered by the good doctor from New Jersey, "Let the flames begin again"....again.

Jim S.

4. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    #79 Wheels1, Jan 8, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I saw one last year, it had alot of Dino trim on it and the right wheels lights etc. It took me about a little while to figure out it was rep. because i hardly know any thing about Dino's. The dead give away where the side quarter light windows, they where the wrong shape and where not opening. But other wise it had me thinking for a while was it wasn't it.

I think replicas have there place when you cannot afford the real thing, i had a Daytona replica [ it was red] then i bought a real one that was dark green. everywhere i went in the red replica, i was stopped for people to admire it, taxi drivers would sound there horn and give me the thumbs up, the real one, hardly got noticed!
    Make sure its red!

Pic of my replica lights up.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Real boobs -- great

Fake boobs -- just ok

Poorly done fake boobs -- horrible

It's the same for cars.

6. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    Just to get back on track, we, including drclott, seem all agreed that the 246 replica isn't a good idea, because it doesn't seem a good replica and is expensive for what it is. So that should close the subject.

I would add only that a Dino is not good material for a replica, IMO, because many were produced, they are not ultra expensive, and examples that need work can be bought reasonably if one really wants a Dino. Also, production road cars, as opposed to competition cars, are very difficult to replicate faithfully. (BTW, "reproductions used to be the correct term, as "replicas" once meant replicas of a rare model produced by the manufacturer itself, such as the Frazer Nash TT Replica).

Unlike our colleagues who wrote to say they wouldn't touch a replica (my wife is firmly on your side, btw), I would dearly want two "replicas" mentioned earlier in this thread - the Superformance GT40 (RHD Mk I wide body in Gulf colors, please) and the Pur Sang Bugatti Type 35, plus a Lynx or Proteus aluminum-bodied Jaguar D-Type. But, alas, even those replicas are quite expensive.

Good luck with the Dino, drclott. Be patient!

Andres

7. 365gt2+2

365gt2+2 Karting

Nov 28, 2006
    with the wife
    Full Name:
    Norman B'stard
    That works apart from I've added a bit.

Can I just add that the latter pic of a Dino replica is of one of the first ones made by a different company than the later cars (as in the first pics in this thread) and the quality (replica aside) is very good if care and attention to detail is used..
    Some guy throwing one together in his garden won't get one as good a pro built one with no expense spared and using good materials.
    Same deal with the Stratos and GT40 Replicas, done properly they become a great, useable car in their own right.

8. dignini

dignini Formula 3

Aug 21, 2005
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Luigi Marazzi
    anyone make a 250LM replica, copy or whatever?

9. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Fake boobs and fake cars are the feminine and masculine manifestations of the same psychological flaw.

10. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Just for closure, after a few PMs DrClott and I are great pals!

All's well in DinoLand :)

11. Mattnshilp

Mattnshilp Karting

Nov 19, 2010
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Yup. We had man hugs and virtual beers!!! :)

Now back to obsessing over great cars with good people.

-Matt

12. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    No digital rectal exams amongst friends?

13. Mattnshilp

Mattnshilp Karting

Nov 19, 2010
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Matt
    I try to avoid those as much as possible (both giving and receiving). Either way, it's never among friends.
    :p

14. bushwhacker

bushwhacker In Memoriam

May 25, 2006
    Phoenix Az.
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Docs......good for you guys !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)

15. 166&456

166&456 Formula 3

Jul 13, 2010
    Amsterdam
    #90 166&456, Jan 9, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2011
    Interesting and a nice looking car at that. You probably should have kept it so you could use the replica and to tell to the people who complain it isn't the real deal that you have a real one sitting in your garage. :)

Out of curiosity I once went to look at a Daytona convertible replica here in NL on the basis of a Rover SD1. It was LHD even though it was imported from the UK. Built all in steel except for the bonnet. I could have had it for 10k€ but I couldn't put myself to it. It looked very much like real - correct bumpers, blinkers, taillights, stance, panel gaps, straightness, etc. it even came with *original* Daytona seats. But the fake plastic 5-spoke hubcaps over steel wheels put me off, as did the wrong windscreen, wrong sidewindows, wrong dash, the Rover V8 lump, and the whole undercarriage which looked as if it must have weighed 100% more than the original.
    It came pretty close, it would have been a great looking fun-car once done. And kind of justifiable because the original is just so way out of my league and it's price once finished would have been just a tad over 5% of that. Perhaps I should have done it for the fact of the seats alone, I don't know. It probably would have been a good deal, money-wise. But I still couldn't put myself to it.

This thread started out with the question of buying a replica for 1/3 of the price for an original - that is really a 'no way' kind of thing, just way too much. A 250€ replica of a 15.000€ rolex can be a fun thing to have, but a €5.000 replica is just a waste.

EDIT: Have a look at this link. http://www.autoscout24.de/Details.aspx?id=viexlwdcjwd2
    The Daytona replica I looked at was similar to this. Just with light rust, faded paint, plastic wheels, and years of neglect added. Notice how this example does not carry Ferrari badging. It's in Italy, in the lion's nest. With Ferrari badging it would not last a week before it'd be impounded and crushed, especially in the homeland, where they do *not* see something like this as a tribute.

16. jselevan

jselevan Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    One man's diarrhea is another man's bread and butter.

Jim S.

17. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Hey! You got one of my business cards I see. :):):)

18. Mattnshilp

Mattnshilp Karting

Nov 19, 2010
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Just an FYI to all:

I had the system operator change my username. I'm now Mattnshilp. Less formal. Just a car guy who loves Ferrari's.

And appreciates a well made reproduction....

Hehe. Couldn't help myself. Sorry Bullfighter. ;)

Funny story (as a side note):

I have a 9 year old. We were flipping through Lehbrink and Schlegelmilch's book, Ferrari, tonight. My son hates all RED Ferraris (I know, but he's 9. He'll learn); he likes them in Silver, blue and yellow. Liked the old Testa Rossa, really liked the 3x8GTS, hated the new Testatossa (and the 348. Anything with the slats) and his absolute favorite "Ferrari" was, you guessed it, the 246GTS. I prefer the GTB. But the kids got great taste!!!

-Matt (not Doc).

19. Buxton

Buxton Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2010
    Full Name:
    B Buxton
    #94 Buxton, Jan 9, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2011
    This explains a lot.

Most of his question and follow on comments were financial in nature. His Porsche and 360 as well as the cars he's looking at (Replica Cobra, 512TR's) are all depreciation bombs. Can that be said about the Dino?

His comments on the 512 forum show he hasn't read about the mechanical repair nightmares that can cost nearly what some of the 512s cars cost.

If you don't know how to drive, the Cobra can kill you as it is just unbalanced to drive.

20. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #95 TheMayor, Jan 10, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2011
    I don't think of the Ford GT and the new Stratos as replicas. They evoke the original but do not copy it. They are modern day versions but not copies.

Also, both are made or heavily related to the original manufacturer.

I can see these on the market with respect. But, I can't respect someone making even a good copy of someone else's work without permission.

21. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    ^^^ Agree 100%

22. Mattnshilp

Mattnshilp Karting

Nov 19, 2010
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Actually, I know all about the costs associated with operating and owning a 512tr. What I didn't know, was current market value. And I looked to the forum for advise. Based on what was for sale all over the Internet, the price offered was an absolute steal. My interest in the 512tr was because I thought it was so cheap, it wouldn't be a depreciation bomb. Apparantly, the price wasn't as good as I thought. The guys from F-chat helped me with that.

The 360 was purchased pre-owned and I got it for a decent price. I'm slamming miles on it and will probably lose about 25'ish k (plus service costs obviously) at most when I sell it in 3 or 4 years. I'm totally ok with that. What a great ride.

The 993tt is also pre-owned and I'm getting it for a VERY good price. The 993tt is a very very desirable model and will actually retain it's value reasonably well. It's the last air-cooled version and many think it to be the most attractive 911 made. No major depreciation, but the miles I put on it will certainly drop it's value. Buying it with 57k. Probably won't sell until it's got over 125k on it. As a DD it's really gonna get driven!

The Cobra replicas dive when bought new. I would buy pre-owned as well. They actually are in HUGE demand and hold their value well once the initial depreciation hits. If they are $55k new, you can usually find one for around $30'ish k depending on engine size, condition and accuracy to the original style. They stay there until mileage depreciation hits as you drive it. And, the killer Cobras are the 600+ HP beasts. I would want a 475-500 HP variant. Driven carefully, it's a dream to drift and a ton of fun to drive!

Trust me, I'm an obsessive compulsive freak when it comes to pre-purchase research!

And you are absolutely correct. The Dino is a true collectors piece. It doesn't deserve the 12-15k miles a year I would currently put on it. So I'll wait until I can comfortably afford 3 and use my DD and a great exotic to split my 30k miles a year. And enjoy the 246 on the occasional joy ride, which I have no time for now anyway.

:)

23. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    The real question is...which does your youngun like best? Got to get them in the fold young!

24. Mattnshilp

Mattnshilp Karting

Nov 19, 2010
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Matt
    I don't know if I agree 100% with that. In theory, I do. But the problem becomes dollars. "permission" these days comes with a price. I can't imagine Ferrari ever giving anyone their blessings to reproduce any of their cars, old or new. But even if they did, they would require an unaffordable amount for licensing and royalties. No small company could afford that.

I don't remotely know the laws, but I can't imagine it's illegal in any way to build a copy of an older car. Or maybe it is and that's why replica makers make them ever so slightly different from the originals.

All I know is that there is a forum just like this one all about Cobra replicas with hundreds of active members and thousands subscribed. It's called ClubCobra.com

I have been to their meets with over 100 "fake" cobras. Including some "authorized" by Carol himself. These where beautiful cars that each had their own personal touches. They where good people, car guys like us. Families who do just Cobras as their family thing. It was a nice time with people passionate about their cars and their hobby. They are down to Earth, warm and welcoming of anyone.

Are they wrong? Is their enjoyment and lifetime hobby a waste just because the cars they chose to enjoy are "copies"?

I'm just saying, it's all about the passion and the love of 4 wheelin' baby. The object of desire is almost irrelevant, isn't it?

That said, I certainly respect those that chose to not desire a reproduction. It's all good. :)

25. Mattnshilp

Mattnshilp Karting

Nov 19, 2010
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Alas my friend.... His 9 year old heart's desire is a green Lamborghini Gallardo. He LOVES my 360, but I think he would trade it for a Gallardo in a second. :(

But I'm exposing him to as much as I can. Italian, German, British, Japanese or American. Old and new. He's starting to ask questions and get into it; and I'm loving it!!