246 Replica? Hold the flames! | FerrariChat

246 Replica? Hold the flames!

Discussion in '206/246' started by Mattnshilp, Jan 6, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mattnshilp

Mattnshilp Karting

Nov 19, 2010
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Ok. Check this out please:

http://www.classicreplicasuk.com/ferrari-dino-replica.asp

And hear me out....

I realized i just can't afford a 246GT right now. And I want a car I can drive, a LOT! I've put 2k miles on my 360 in the first 2 months of ownership, and it's not my primary ride...

Even if I could afford a real 246 I wouldn't drive it because I would be worried about my $150+ K car all the time.

I'm an MD and work all the time. So I don't get Sunday drives and weekend get aways. I drive my cars to work and to the hospital; so they get parked in big lots and left out unprotected for hours to days.

Maybe when I'm 60 (20 years away) will I have the money and time to enjoy a real 246GT, and show it the love and respect it deserves. But I do love the car, and it's sensational lines!

For now, the guys at Classic Replicas UK can build me a beautiful replica with incredible quality and accuracy to the original, powered by an Alfa Romeo 3.0L V6. And I can have it to my door for about $54 grand.

Now:

Please study the web site and the sample images and tell me how good a replica it is (or not) cosmetically.

And then let the opinions fly... For and against.

And FYI - from what I understand, these guys have a real 246GT on site and have used it to reproduce/fabricate almost every part in the car; but improved to modern specs for durability and safety when appropriate.

And for those against the concept of a replica, look at the industry that has become Cobra 427 replicas. I want one of those too, and I don't have an extra $mil lying around to buy a real one. So I have no issue with a replica as long as no one tries to pass it off as real.

2. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    #2 Bullfighter, Jan 6, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2011
    IMHO, tacky and an utter ripoff for $54K.

John Corbani actually drove his real 246, and had 200,000 miles or something on it. That is one of the coolest cars I've ever known.

If you need a practical reason, I doubt a fake 246 would be much better than a real one in New Jersey winters. Get something with AWD, bank some money, and do it right when you can afford it.

3. greg246

greg246 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 2, 2004
    Sydney,Australia
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Seeing as though you asked, IMO a complete waste of time and money. You will look like a cheapo wanker in it and it won't even remotely replicate the driving experience. Better off putting the 54 grand into blue chip stocks and wait 5-10years

Cheers

;)

4. Bradley

Bradley F1 Rookie

Nov 23, 2006
    Lakewood, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Bradley
    Hard to judge the quality and accuracy from the photos provided. I did notice, however, that in the interior the gear selector lacks the famous gate, so I have to wonder how "accurate" the other details really are. I also saw no mention of whether the replica is available with left hand drive. (Don't know about you, but that would bother me.)

I understand why you might want one of these - it's a $150k+ look for $90k less - but 54 grand is a lot to pay for what is essentially an Alpha, IMO.

I'm inclined to agree with Bullfighter: Enjoy your 360, which is a whole lot faster than even an original Dino, save your money, and get a genuine 246 when you can afford it.

That's my advice, though of course you can do as you please. It's your money.

If you do decide to buy one of these, better do it now, before Ferrari sues the company out of existence. And please, no "Dino" or "Ferrari" badging! In one of the photos, I see a cavallino rampante on the grille. Genuine 246's didn't even have those! And the replica shouldn't even say "Dino."

5. Pantdino

Pantdino Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Full Name:
    Jim
    #5 Pantdino, Jan 6, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here are some pics of a car I saw at the Silverstone Classic in 2008
    Is this the same kind of car?
    It was for sale for GBP 28K ONO

I think there's a Dino replica for sale at a dealer in the UK also, if you look in Classic and Sportscar

If I were you I'd call that guy and see if he still has it-- if nothing else he would be a treasure trove of advice
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    I agree, too. Don't do it, drclott. You will know it is not a Dino, it will never feel like one, and you will just be unhappy with it.

7. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006
    #7 Crawler, Jan 7, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2011
    The car does not look particularly good on the inside or outside. Is it even US-legal? My advice: If you want a zippy, mid-engined daily driver for your $54K, buy yourself a nice, low-mileage Cayman S and keep about 10 grand of that money.

"In keeping with the original Classic Replicas use the Alfa Romeo 2.5 and 3.0 V6 engines that are related to the original Fiat engine that was used in the 206 and 246 Dino." Utter B.S., adding insult to injury.

No more flames.

P.S. Do Ferrari's lawyers know that Classic Replicas is apparently putting the Ferrari name and logos all over those things?

8. Mattnshilp

Mattnshilp Karting

Nov 19, 2010
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Replys:

1) they don't put any logos on themselves to cover their a$$es. They drill the pilot holes and provide the badging requested. You have to mount the badges yourself. And people sell replicas all the time; so no one is getting sued.

2) I'm not driving this in the winter unless its a nice day. It will be my third car, so it's a winter sleeper. I've got a 4 wheel drive vehicle for my primary driver. And the 360 for fun. This would come with me on nice days only.

3) I don't need an alternative suggestion for the 246. I don't need a third car at all. So getting a Cayman S or whatever is not the issue.

4) I think your missing my issue with buying a real one. I don't want to put a $150k car in danger of constantly being banged, dinged and hit in parking lots. And I don't want to depreciate it and lose a fortune by piling on the miles. Plus, I can't even imagine what insurance would be.

5) Yes, they are US legal and do come as a left hand driver.

6) Would being a wanker result because of the fact that it is a replica alone??? I don't think anyone who drives a $110k Kirkham 427 Cobra replica feels or looks like a wanker.

As I said, I'm not getting it to pose owning a $150k car. I'd be getting it to enjoy the lines and replicated feel. I totally understand it would not feel exactly the same. But it would look almost the same, and it's quicker from what I understand.

Plus, at $50k I wouldn't be paranoid about where to park it or how much mileage it got.

I would love more commentary on the accuracy of the exterior and interior. And any other leads for a pre-owned one ( from these guys only though). I'm sure these depreciate like crazy!

These guys started building about 2 years ago and totally trump the quality of any of the older replicas, which where crap comparably.

Thanks. Let the flames begin again.

9. boxndoc1

boxndoc1 Karting

Jan 25, 2007
    North America/Italy
    The car is not accurate , I do not think it can be confused for the original, However if it makes you feel good than do it Doc. You already have a 360 to push around, so no harm just have fun. Just a side note, I may not use my Dino every day but I am not afraid of it , they drive great and most people do not park 308's at shopright so i dont think u would park a 246 to get dinged . My guess is you would not even park the repro in a public lot. Again if it gives u pleasure do it Doc!

10. Tony K

Tony K Formula 3

Jun 7, 2006
    Toledo, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Tony K.
    Why would you buy a fake Dino for $54k when you can buy a real 308 or 328 for less? Or a Merak. Or perhaps a vintage 911. All of those cars will get you from point A to point B with less drama than people who don't know old exotics think.

As far as safety goes, has that replica been crash tested? Just looking at the wheel well in the photo, it doesn't look like it has a similar chassis design; maybe they claim to be using identical chassis parts, but I question the chassis/body itself that they are bolted to. And considering the fit of the doors, I have a hunch that the build quality of the car is going to feel like something between "chintzy" and "toy". Do you really think that a car some fabricator guys threw together in a shed is going to be as well-made and safe as a real car? Do you really think it will be satisfying? Do you really think it's going to hold up to the elements better than a real car? And what do you think it will be worth in a few years' time? What do you think you will get when you want to sell it?

Never mind all that; I'd feel awfully silly in that thing. :)

11. ME308

ME308 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Munich, Germany
    Full Name:
    Michael
    ;) ...
    at least you have a good sense of humor !

still not sure if you`re seriously contemplating...
    but just in case :

yes :D

12. 4re308

4re308 F1 Rookie

Jun 13, 2001
    Woodstock, GA
    Full Name:
    Mitch D
    Hey if you like that replica 246 you should get it. Get what makes you happy. With that said, I would get a 328 or 355 for a $50k runabout. I would never buy a fake car for the same reason I would never buy a fake watch. Its just not the same.

13. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    #13 UroTrash, Jan 7, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2011
    Doc, car looks nice.

Do it if you want to.*

Nobody's business but yours!

* As long as no real Dinos are harmed in the making of the project.

14. Mattnshilp

Mattnshilp Karting

Nov 19, 2010
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Those last few replies where VERY useful. Thanks. :)

I'm trying to see things from both sides, which I am having a hard time doing. If anyone can talk me out of it, it's you guys!

I'm into the Cobra replica scene, which is HUGE. So I have no issue with the idea of a replica, even if it's not historically perfect.

I don't think any replicas are crash tested. And build quality is my biggest concern. Short of flying to England to see them (which is not out of the question), I can only rely on the opinions of the references they gave me.

Again, I'm really not looking for suggestions for alternatives. I am in the process, right now, of replacing my Audi RS4 daily driver with a '97 911 (993 turbo). And I eventually may get a 308GTB QV. But that's not the discussion right now.

Keep it coming.

15. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    It is a bit odd they never show a good critical view of the car in the gallery.

Seems I remember these cars have a bit of a tail droop?

I think John may have had an overlay pic in one of his sagas.

16. snowric

snowric Karting

Apr 15, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Richard Snow
    I waited a long time for my dino and prices, of course, rose. In the end I paid a lot of money (appx $150k) for a well restored GT. I am really happy with my purchase. I borrowed half the money over a long period with the ability to repay in all or in lump amounts which I will do in the next 6 months. Wish I had done this all 5 years ago as I would have paid less for the car and have driven it further and I could have asked Jon Corbani dumb questions real time instead of enjoying his legacy.

My former father-in-law had a massive stroke at 50 and spent over 20 years struggling to live before he gave up. It happens to people all the time, particulalry people who work hard running businesses and constantly look to the future.

Don't short change yourself. If it's a Dino you wnat just sell or trade the 360 against a good Dino add your savings and borrow the difference, you will find ways to pay it off and every day you drive your Dino is one day better.

Good luck.

Snowy

17. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006
    My last comments are that A) I think it would be crazy to buy one without seeing it in person and test driving it, and B) the interior looks all wrong except for the oval-shaped instrument panel, which from what can be seen in the photo, looks reasonably close to the original.

18. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    #18 UroTrash, Jan 7, 2011
    Fellers!

Come on!

Doc's a plastic surgeon, he can look past the originality of an object!

Oh, Hi Dan. How's racing going?

19. sambomydog

sambomydog Guest

May 23, 2009
    That would be kind of strange. Having a 360 as your weekend toy, and having a 328/355 as a runabout. Most would have this the other way round. The 355s are not cheep to run either.

20. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006
    Hi, Uro! We'll be at CMP (Kershaw, SC) Feb. 19th and 20th with our "original" Alfa spider. You should try to come down on Sunday. We're rebuilding the motor in hopes of an additional 15 or 20 (rear wheel) bhp, which would be pretty substantial.

21. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    It looks like a poorly 3D version of the real thing. Terrible.

22. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    #22 Bullfighter, Jan 7, 2011
    You will get more of the replies you're looking for if you post on a kit car site.

A lot of us drive $100K+ older cars on the weekends, and many doctors around here drive $150K new Merc SLs, S-Class, etc., as daily drivers. Yes, it's easier to drive a beater Honda Civic and park/drive anywhere, but you just have to be vigilant with a classic and/or expensive car.

Get the real thing, get insurance, park away from minivans, and enjoy. I agree with Snowric above -- sell the 360 and put the funds toward a 246. They are a genuine classic.

You will get hundreds of questions about the car, and you'll get tired of explaining that it isn't real and that a real one was beyond your budget, etc.

23. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Dr. Clott,

I personally like the idea - but not for $54K! As many have noted, it's not quite accurate, you can see the slope of the front and rear are too dramatic and makes the car look stubby. I believe this is a similar mold to a car owned by another F-Chatter - a car he bought used. Looked cool, but I think he purchased it for less than $30K.

I agree - get yourself a 308 - closest thing you'll get to a Dino. Small, tight handling, makes the right noises. That's my plan.

BTW - where are you in NJ?

24. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    $54k could also go to a Lotus Elise, arguably also close to a Dino.

25. dignini

dignini Formula 3

Aug 21, 2005
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Luigi Marazzi
    or 2 x 308gt4s
    seriously a replica Dino or a Dino308gt4 and 30k in the bank?