246 GTS Dino Bumper Gasket | FerrariChat

246 GTS Dino Bumper Gasket

Discussion in '206/246' started by SupercarGuru, Jul 3, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SupercarGuru

SupercarGuru F1 Rookie
    Sponsor

Dec 14, 2003
    Fl
    Full Name:
    John Temerian
    This may be an odd question but getting a ton of mixed answers from restorers and historians.

On a USA spec 246 GTS Dino was there any type of spacer or gasket used between the body and the bracket on the bumperette?

Is the bumper bracket bolted directly to the body?

Thank you so much in advance for any direction!

2. vrooom

vrooom Formula Junior

Jan 29, 2007
    there should be a round rubber "grommet " fitted to the body where the bracket comes through. not sure of a source for them.

3. er72

er72 Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2008
    Roslyn Harbor, NY
    Full Name:
    Eugene
    Exactly what VROOM said. If I remember correctly, the grommets have 1 1/8" diameter. I remember procuring them somewhere and just cutting out the middle groove. https://www.amazon.com/Rubber-Grommets-Inside-Diameter-Groove/dp/B0782S86R8 is likely what you need, but please make sure the inside diameter is correct.

4. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    I am understanding the question a little differently and am thinking it is referring to the fixing on the side where the bumper meets the painted body. My best research indicates that there was never a factory rubber or gasket in this area. That said almost every Dino you see will have some kind of rubber between the bumper and body on this mounting point added after paintwork because a repair shop will recognize how it is good form to put something soft between the chrome bumper and relatively soft paint.

From a purely historical perspective my answer is that there is no gasket but from a practical perspective a well made gasket can be near invisible and prevent paint deformation and damage from bolting the bumper to the paint.

russh likes this.
  5. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    search the body manual for your answer.

6. russh

russh Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Russell Hazarian
    Looking at Table 110 of the Spare Parts Catalogue, it does not indentify a rubber washer as Rob has already indicated. It makes sense to protect the paint and not directly mount the bumper to the body panel.

7. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    there should be a separate body book with more detail.

synchro likes this.
  8. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
  9. russh

russh Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Russell Hazarian
    Sorry, I forgot about this book. I have only seen the M series bodywork spare parts catalog. I didn't realize that there is later version of this available. Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    There isn't a later version of that book to the best of my knowledge. The bumper grommets for the US models are shown in the spare parts catalogue on TAV.110. They are item 9, part number 111996000 Rondella elastica (elastic washers is the literal translation).

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. russh

russh Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Russell Hazarian
    Actually, I believe that item 9 is a lock washer and item 8 is a flat washer.