24 Hours of Le Mans 2013 | Page 14 | FerrariChat

24 Hours of Le Mans 2013

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by tomgt, May 28, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tomgt

tomgt F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Tom Wiggers
    If they stop with F1 project, otherwise never. They can not spent 100m in F1 AND 100m in LMP1.
    They will not sell a road car extra when winning like Volkswagen/Audi. When so only for glory.
    Would be nice to see a new SP Ferrari. Ferrari private teams were succesful at Sebring, 24H daytona and European Sportscar championship
    But if F joins do it right. Not disasters like 512s, BBLM and 575GTC.

2. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #327 4re Nut, Jun 24, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    GRAND-AM driver provides medical analysis of driver deaths | MotorSportsTalk

Race Car Driver Deaths: The Medical Causes of Racing Deaths w Examples

Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. JeremyJon

JeremyJon F1 Veteran

Jul 28, 2010
    Calgary, Canada
    Real sad, could have been an aneurism that occurred, jarred by the impact, very sad!

4. MBFerrari

MBFerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2008
    NoVA
    Full Name:
    Matt B
    My thoughts exactly!!! I am on vacation so missed the end of the race, but from watching the replays you guys posted, why in the HECK are there no tires against the ARMCO barrier where he hit??? You can bet there will be next year or I would call the lead marshall and tell them to get some there immediately.

Wow.

MB

5. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    There is no need for the tyres in front of the armco. Armco bends. What is required is enough room for the armco to move, thus some trees will need to be removed.

Armco is still the best IMO thing to hit, not tyres or concrete.
    Pete
    BTW: I'm also a huge fan of gravel traps and seriously believe I would not be here typing this without them.

6. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
  7. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    As noted, a three time Le Mans winner agrees and points out many of the old
    wooden posts that support the armco barriers are rotting away and some of the
    armco is literally bolted to those trees.

This is unacceptable given the modern thought about course safety and that while
    we all support tradition, it should not come at the expense of driver's lives.

There will be a great groundswell of support to mandate the ACO to rethink their
    40+ year approach of using the armco (most of which is intact along the Mulsanne
    year round) and replacing it with safer barriers or concrete walls all with more
    runoff areas.

Likewise, the use of gravel and rocks in the runoff areas must be done away with in
    favor of asphalt pavement or groomed sand traps as we see in F-1.

BHW

8. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    I agree, LeMans is very antiquated from a track safety standpoint; however I wonder how much improvement they can make given that much of the track is public roads. so a) they need to be able to put up and take down the barriers and b) they are limited in what they can do runoff room-wise without intruding into someone else's property.

at any rate I hope the facility gets a massive safety review over the next year and all parties cooperate in making the track safer.

9. CSM0TION

CSM0TION Formula Junior

Oct 14, 2004
    Long Island,New York
    Full Name:
    Brandon
    Thanks you fr the clarification. I wonder if that's what people were referring to but I didn't realize it was called balance of performance. Seems like a tricky game to play who who needs more and less. That's what kills the grandam cars IMO.

10. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    GrandAm's GT BOP is designed to make sure the Daytona Prototypes are still the fastest class :)

IMO the FIA/ACO does a much better job of keeping parity without dumbing down the cars or restricting technology-that's when manufacturers say adios.

11. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    The balance of performance has been the long standing issue in sports car racing
    from it's beginnings.

When there is as much mechanical diversity as we see through out all of the classes,
    the inevitable complaints come up such as this. Much to their credit, Porsche has been
    masterful in their manipulations of these sorts of issues for years.

GrandAM attempted to subvert this by basically creating a spec formula with very
    stringent rules regarding chassis and engines for their DP class and saying things
    like "We don't care about 'traditional' sport car racing fans" and "We want to make
    the cars irrelevant".

Unfortunately, spec racing dosent inspire much in the way of public or media attention
    and these "man on the street" fans DP was supposed to create responded by staying
    away by the droves.

BHW

12. MBFerrari

MBFerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2008
    NoVA
    Full Name:
    Matt B
    Well I hit the ARMCO backwards at Watkins Glen once...mind you I was probably only going 80mph...wet grass felt like I accelerated before I hit, but there were a few rows of tires in front of it (going down into the laces of the "boot") and I was glad they were there.

I am not a fan of gravel traps as I think tarmac allows you to slow down more effectively, although at the end of the backstraight at Mid-Ohio it may be useful, although I have seen a few cars flip over there in the gravel. Indy cars especially.

MB

13. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I agree that it was probably impact with the tree behind the Armco that caused the fatal injury. Considering that there is a long row of trees along that stretch of road, the ones closest to the corner can be removed without affecting the aesthetic value of the rest of the row. But some attempt should be made to put something, like tires, in front of the Armco adjacent to the remaining trees.

The ACO should be required to inspect all of the remaining Armco around the circuit, moving it back from the side of the track wherever feasible and verifying the condition of the supports. Gravel traps should be removed wherever possible and replaced with pavement, which has been shown to more effectively slow down cars.

14. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    Disaster is a strong word.

A BBLM was taken out running 2nd OA at Daytona with a very good chance of taking 1st OA had it not been for the crash.

CW

15. tomgt

tomgt F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Tom Wiggers
  16. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    Oh, and I forgot to include that both the 512 and the 575 had 1st OA finishes.

So, while these cars didn't dominate by any stretch, they were certainly competitive.

CW

17. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Tarmac only works if there has not been a car failure. In my case I had a brake failure ... tarmac would have done nothing, instead I ran into a gravel trap and the braking force by the gravel was amazing and saved me and the car from considerable damage.

This is why I think gravel traps are superior.
    Pete

18. tomgt

tomgt F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Tom Wiggers
    :)

A little.

The 430GT and 458GT were/are very succesfull.

19. tomgt

tomgt F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Tom Wiggers
    Maybe normal yellow sand can do the job as well.
    Im almost sure ACO will do something with guardrailing on many curves outside the permanent track.
    I watched the crashes of Allan Simonsen and Fred Mackowiecki over and over.
    What do others think of these two crashes? 'Camber/Caster' (car set up) problem or only drivers failures..

20. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Very similar circumstances for the 2 crashes: exit of a corner, slight over-steering, driver's correction initiating a violent "tank-slapper" ending in the barrier.

Some people put it down to driver error, other to dampness, and some to aerodynamics - the latest unlikely in my view.

I think the car behaviour has something to do with the setting of the limited slip differential.
    I must have been set to a high percentage and made the cars twitchy under acceleration.

21. MBFerrari

MBFerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2008
    NoVA
    Full Name:
    Matt B
    Fair enough Pete, and I think we all agree something needs to be done there. Obviously in the eternal quest for driver safety we can never do enough, but having a tree inches behind ARMCO with no tires = FAIL for the ACO.

Wish we lived closer so we could speak over a tall one about this stuff. It is interesting indeed.

On the topic of what do we think about what happened? Tough to say except since a very similar if not identical event occurred in two different cars from the same stable it would be extremely unlikely to be driver error...just my .02

22. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Agree :).
    Yes, very worrying for Aston Martin, and I very curious on what the cause was.
    Pete

23. tomgt

tomgt F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Tom Wiggers
    #349 tomgt, Jun 28, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  24. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    2013 Le Mans 24 Hours: Car no.26 excluded

In compliance with the decision of the Stewards of the Meeting car no.26 has been excluded from the 2013 Le Mans 24 Hours as the capacity of its petrol tank has been found to be illegal. The no. 42 Zytek-Nissan is promoted to third place in LM P2.

Driven by Roman Rusinov, John Martin and Mike Conway the Oreca-Nissan entered by the G-Drive Racing by Delta ADR team finished ninth overall in the 2013 Le Mans 24 Hours and third in the LM P2 category.

As a result of this decision all the cars classified behind no. 26 move up a place in the overall classification in this category. Thus, the no. 42 Zytek Z11SN Nissan driven by Jann Mardenborough, Lucas Ordonez and Michael Krumm (Greaves Motorsport) is promoted to third place in LM P2 behind the two Morgan-Nissans, nos 35 and 24.

This exclusion also modifies the classifications of the FIA World Endurance Championship of which the Le Mans 24 Hours was the third round and for which double points were awarded.

The G-Drive Racing by Delta ADR team has stated its intention to lodge an appeal against this decision.

http://www.24h-lemans.com/wpphpFichiers/1/1/ressources/Pdf/2013/24-heures-du-mans/classification/race/24-heures-du-mans-2013-final-classification-after-exclusion-car-number-26.pdf

BHW