24 Heures du Mans 2020 | Page 4 | FerrariChat

24 Heures du Mans 2020

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by tomgt, Feb 28, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith
  2. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith
    Do you mean GTE? Easy to get the 3 and not the E when touch typing.

3. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Ha! Yes, Hindy does go on doesn't he?

When he entered the scene we used to goof on him pretty hard. But, the guy is 100%
    the real deal when it comes to his passion for the sport.

What used to kill us was when he'd be commentating at Le Mans while watching some soccer
    match on another monitor and he'd go nuts shouting at the top of his lungs whenever his team
    scored a goal.

Rather alarming especially when stepping away from the computer for a moment (and) you've got
    friends in the race when he has a complete meltdown on the air over some silly soccer game. I let
    him know about this over lunch at Sebring one year. At first he was defensive but when others at
    the table agreed and he took the advice to heart and stopped doing it.

BHW

4. walnut

walnut F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 14, 2006
    Maryland, USA
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Can anyone tell me why the car setting out in front of the grid is? In the distant camera shots looking down on the cars lined up, there’s one setting further forward and facing parallel to the track centerline where the rest are angled. That is the one I’m talking about.

5. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Some day I will make it to Le Mans. Instead I am sitting here watching it, editing photos from IMSA at Road Atlanta and getting ready for Mid-Ohio next weekend.

chrixxx and Nortonious like this.
  6. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    oops

7. Nortonious

Nortonious Formula 3

Sep 20, 2018
    TX
    #82 Nortonious, Sep 19, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2020
    Porsche looking curiously slower.

A nice duel between AF Course and AM out front at the moment (GTE Pro)

And oh yes, Radio Le Mans audio with the MotorTrend video (volume off) is far superior.

That Louise Beckett lady to start the race with MotorTrend team was awful.

8. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Ugh. RLM broadcast is much better commentary, but it seems to be missing the noise of the cars.

9. Nortonious

Nortonious Formula 3

Sep 20, 2018
    TX
    #84 Nortonious, Sep 19, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2020
    I hear a little car noise. Sometimes it seems synced with the video, other times not. I guess they are using the same race feed on occasion?

But apparently the RLM crew really like The Cult. Several transitions with 'She Sells Sanctuary' playing in the background. Haha. It's a good song.

I really wish the C8.R's were here. A shame. I saw them run at COTA back in February and chatted with K-Mag's dad. He really thought the car would be racing for the win once the BoP stuff got ironed out for a few races. But Covid....I see he has a drive in the #66 GTE Am 488, good for him.

Funny, that day at COTA. The Corvette Club was there en masse, hundreds of vettes on a parade lap, and swamping the C8.R paddock. Alessandro Pier Guidi was quietly standing in front of his 488 during the autograph session with no one around. I walked up and said, "A bit smaller turnout than Le Mans, huh?" We both laughed, and I don't usually seek autographs, but I had him sign the underside of my Ferrari Cap.

of2worlds, rob lay, mdrums and 2 others like this.
  10. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    it really isn't the same without the Corvettes :(

william, of2worlds, kylec and 4 others like this.
  11. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Watching the pit stops, it is amazing how tight the pit lane is.

12. Nortonious

Nortonious Formula 3

Sep 20, 2018
    TX
    AF Corse running 1&2 in GTE Pro now. Seem to be outpacing the AM.

Such a cool shot of those two 488s running in tandem.

I briefly swapped over to MotorTrend audio. That Louise lady back on shift, twice mentioning something about greater tyre deg on the 488s. Not seeing an issue after 5 pits yet. I think she just regurgitates some canned talking points while she scrambles for context.

13. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    meanwhile Shea Adam is sitting on her couch in Florida...

14. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith
    Try photographing from over the wall in the hot pit. Whenever a car enters pit lane they blow a horn. You have to have your head on a swivel because he may be coming into the pit box to which you're near. However, it's a sight to behold. The coordination between the fuelers and the tire guys, the guy cleaning the windshield, and the guy reaching in to replace the drinks bottle. With the pit boss watching to make sure there is a safe release.

Texas Forever and Devilsolsi like this.
  15. SPEEDCORE

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    Some live streams from event

16. SPEEDCORE

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
  17. Nortonious

Nortonious Formula 3

Sep 20, 2018
    TX
    Oh heck, I'm taking a break to watch a baseball game.

What happened to the #71 AF Corse? How did they fall so far back?

18. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I hope to someday have a photo vest and be able to shoot in pit lane. For now, it's behind the fence for me.

19. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith
    RF shock has failed. Took time to replace. Another 488 GTE had a similar problem on the LF. Too many curbs?

Nortonious likes this.
  20. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith

I can't stand it when the pronounce Porsche as "Porsch". The "e" on the end is pronounced in German, so it's "Porshah", not "Porch". And they do ramble on as if they are being paid by the word. Even Radio Le Mans can get annoying after 10 hours. I carried a team radio so I could listen to the team, as well as race control. A welcome relief.

Nortonious likes this.
  21. Nortonious

Nortonious Formula 3

Sep 20, 2018
    TX
    Thanks. I hope the #51 avoids those problems. I'd love to see a nice duel with AM in the morning.

Looks like the Sky Sports boys (Brundle and Di Resta) running strong in their respective LMP2 cars.

(I do like Paul Di Resta's commentary in F1, he does one of the better Flying Lap detailed calls I think).

22. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith
    I agree.

One thing about Le Mans is that most of the fans are Brits. They drink themselves into incoherence, take of their shirts, and routinely get horribly sun burned.

The people without seats wander around for the entire 24 hours like the walking dead. But thrust me, there are no seats worth paying for. You only get a snapshot of the race from one place.

We rented motorbikes (not golf carts, you can't take them on public roads) and would motor around from the outside of Mulsanne corner, over to the outside of Arnage, and then back within the circuit to get the Indianapolis approach and turn in. Having an "all access credential" is the only way to see the race. I still have my vest from Le Mans, I'll post a photo of them.

Ferrari on entry to Porsche Curve in the rain. 400mm Canon F4L IS, Canon 1DKII body.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

of2worlds and AtSomePoint like this.
  23. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith
    BTW, the French don't call the long back straight "Mulsanne'. They all it "Les Hunaudieras". Mulsanne corner is right before the village of Mulsanne. And on non race days, there is a stop sign at Arnage.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

of2worlds, chrixxx and AtSomePoint like this.
  24. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith
  25. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA