24 Heures du Mans 2017 | Page 21 | FerrariChat

24 Heures du Mans 2017

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by tomgt, Jan 8, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Agreed!

2. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

I consider clutch failure as a major breakdown on a vehicle; if it let go during a lap, it's terminal. Period.

Therefore I cannot see why Toyota should get a pass, or have its car retrieved on the track to be repaired and continue the race.

They should design their next car with a clutch that can take the punishment, IMO.

3. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
  4. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    #504 jgonzalesm6, Jun 19, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
  6. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    #506 jgonzalesm6, Jun 19, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  7. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
  8. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Actually they made a full lap in electric mode at Spa last year when an engine broke down, but this time they came from a safety car period and couldn´t charge the batteries. Also Spa is shorter than Le Mans.

Anyway, talking is cheap: doing what you propose and dealing with the extra space and weight is probably a lot harder than doing a clutch that doesn´t break.

9. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    In 1965 the 250LM had its gearbox rebuilt and went on to win the race, so Toyota could have replaced the clutch and gone on to win ... ??
    Pete

10. Good pernt...... :lightbulb:

11. #511 lorenzobandini, Jun 19, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
    FIA World Endurance Championship Sporting Regulation 10.8.6 (paraphrased but accurate):

During the race it is prohibited to change:

- The engine block or any of it's main external components (fixed to one another by means of seals)

- The main gearbox and differential housings
    (the innerds may be changed)

- The chassis or monocoque structure

Thus, I surmise clutch replacement is acceptable.

12. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    You can only rebuild a gearbox or change a clutch if the driver is able to bring the car back to the pits under its own power.

If the car is stranded on the other side of the circuit, it's terminal.

13. Absolutely.

14. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

The issue is not about the clutch replacement, which is perfectly acceptable, but the fact that the car was apparently unable to reach the pits for the repair.

15. #515 lorenzobandini, Jun 19, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
    Understood. And the issue arose as PSK suggested Toyota add an additional drive to bring it home. Followed by your post:
    It's not terminal to the FIA was my point. Nothing more. Nothing less.

16. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    My thought at the time was, if the teams are not allowed to replace the IC motor, why are they
    then allowed to change the hybrid?

There was a time in IMSA during the GTX days in the mid 70s to the early 80s when teams could change their motors during the race at Daytona or Sebring and did so regularly. It may have been the same at Le Mans, not really sure.

It was always amazing to watch though as the teams would carry out these changes right on the pit lane. I remember one year watching the Whittington Brothers' team carrying out an engine swap on their 935 at Daytona, it was like a Chinese fire drill compared to today but interesting to watch none the less.

Suddenly, that rule changed and changing engines in-race was banned.

BHW

17. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Engine change were never allowed at Le Mans, as far as I know.

18. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    F1 and Le Mans partner to avoid date clashes

F1 CEO Chase Carey was the honorary starter at Le Mans on Saturday and his presence was on obvious sign of cooperation between the 24-hour event and Formula 1.

It was a well-known fact that Bernie Ecclestone was no fan of the endurance classic which in his view only drew attention away from F1.

Le Mans often clashed with a Grand Prix during the Ecclestone era and indeed the former F1 supremo probably deliberately engineered overlapping dates.

The arrival of Liberty Media at the helm has now opened up a period of collaboration between F1 and the World Endurance Championship, according to ACO (Automobile Club de l'Ouest) boss Pierre Fillon.

"We are demonstrating the new relationship between the ACO and Formula One," said Fillon.

"With Chase Carey at the top of F1, the time has come to work together on a motor sport calendar that allows fans to enjoy both Formula 1 and the races of the world endurance championship."

Renault's Nico Hulkenberg won the 24-hour epic with Porsche in 2015 and would have loved to go back last year, but the race clashed with Azerbaijan's maiden Grand Prix at Baku.

"At the moment, I don't think I am missing participating in Le Mans," Hulkenberg told Firstpost.

"I am focused on the Renault project and I would like to give this my best shot in the next few years. For the future, who knows?"

Both Fernando Alonso and Romain Grosjean have also expressed their desire to race at Le Mans one day

Formula 1 and Le Mans partner to avoid date clashes

19. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    I think you're right.

This year's race reminded me a bit of 1977 when there was likewise a hot race.

With the Porsche-Renault war at an all time high, Renault brought four entires versus
    two from Porsche.

With the race barely underway, the second Porsche 936 of Barth and Haywood had a
    stuck turbo waste gate with Hurley reporting to the team that the car was "too fast".
    The team brought the car in to replace the turbo system dropping the entry down to
    the bottom of the order by the time it rejoined.

The lead Porsche expired and the team put Ickx into the car for his epic night stint when he
    chased down the lead Renaults which one by one began to expire as the Alpine Spiders were
    fast but fragile.

Even through Ickx brought the Porsche back to the lead, there was still drama near the end
    when the team had to shut down one of the cylinders in order to get the car to the finish.

This year's race somewhat resembled 1977 in a lot of ways.

BHW

20. RWatters

RWatters Formula 3

Feb 21, 2006
    Kansas
    Absolutely gutted for Team Corvette. They put on a pretty epic defense considering how much faster than Aston really was. And for Risi. Horrible how their race ended.

LMP1 was a joke and the non-stop coverage of the one car LMP1 race was also a joke. Does anyone really care that an LMP1 car can pass an LMP2 car? And stop showing the LMP2 team's pit. They don't give a rats ass either as they knew it was coming.

Crazy how much attrition there was this year.

21. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    This quote in his letter is really interesting to me given the recently released 2020 P1 regulations that are pushing even more towards hybrid and electric power.

22. You're quite correct. If you surrender your dislike of my personality, we might get along capitolly (capitally?) :)

23. (A) Agreed.

(B) I don't remember this. I was there.

(C) Nope.

(D) Elaborate. No offense intended ('trying not to offend, as some think are my intentions); I don't recollect. :)

24. (A) 'Don't mean to be unpleasant. Oh well.

(B) Do so. I will not be offended.

(C) 'Not always. 'Sorry you feel this way.

(D) Okay, if you say so. Now I know.