24 Heures du Mans 2016 | Page 11 | FerrariChat

24 Heures du Mans 2016

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by tomgt, May 8, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    rumor has it the next 991 GTE car will effectively be mid engined.

2. Mike Hedlund

Mike Hedlund Karting

May 30, 2012
    Woodside, CA
    Full Name:
    Mike Hedlund
    The Challenge and Porsche Cup cars ARE street cars. They are nothing like GTE chassis.

-mike

3. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Has there been any confirmation/rumour of what killed the Toyota?
    T

4. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    I've read a couple of sources where one of the Toyota bosses was quoted as saying
    the car had a turbo boost pressure issue.

Per Motorsport.com...

While Toyota issued a statement on Tuesday saying it had yet to find out the precise
    cause for the failure, the team’s general manager Hisatake Murata revealed that
    Nakajima’s car had a boost pressure problem.

“The #5 car had a failure in the boost pressure control system,” he confirmed.
    “I don’t know if it’s [because of the] turbo or not, but the data shows no boost
    pressure control.

“There was no sign of anomalies in the data before the problem, or at least not
    just before it.”

Murata added that the bitter experience would make Toyota better prepared for
    next season, the Japanese marque having vowed to return to La Sarthe to
    avenge its defeat.

“We went through so much during this year’s 24 hours,” said Murata. “It would
    have been a great story to tell only if we’d had a happy ending.

“Most of the problems were ones we had never experienced before. Next year,
    we will be better prepared, getting rid of problems before we arrive at Le Mans.”

Nakajima describes Toyota?s painful final moments of Le Mans

BHW

5. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Well Toyota has been trying to win it since the 1980's. I guess it took Porsche 19 years of trying to win overall, so sooner or later Toyota should win also(although they gave up on F1 without a win).

Ferrari did win on first try and Alfa on third try.

6. Turbopanzer

Turbopanzer F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    #256 Turbopanzer, Jun 22, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2016

How Porsche prepares its team........https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JDkdc246QQ

:D:D

7. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

I would say that's grossly exagerated.

For almost 2 decades, Porsche only entered cars in the small classes, with absolutely no ambition or any chance to win overall.

Only in 1969, with the arrival of the 917, was Porsche considered an overall contender

8. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

ScuderiaWithStickPlease F1 World Champ

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    Since Napolis isn't here to say it I will: as thrilling and important as the Le Mans 24 is, it's nowhere near the test of man and machine that the N24 is.

9. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    It will be mid engined, correct.

True that. Nurburgring is really a tough track which requires skills, concentration and luck.

10. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Update to post 254

“Car No. 5 suffered a technical defect on a connector on the air line between the turbo charger and the intercooler, causing a loss of turbo charger control, a Toyota team spokesperson said.

“The team attempted to modify the control settings to restore power and this was eventually achieved, allowing the car to complete the final lap. However, it was achieved too late to complete that lap within the required six minutes.”

11. tomgt

tomgt F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Tom Wiggers
    Any more news appeal Ferrari, Aston & others against Ford and 107% rule?

12. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    #262 F1tommy, Jun 23, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2016

No that is a fact...And they did hope for overall wins starting in the late 1950's. They even won at Sebring in 1960 against those bigger engines because they used lighter cars and were in the top 5 at Lemans 9 times before 1970.

How big to you think the engine Ferrari won with was in 1949??

13. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    So a boost leak takes out the Toyota on the very last lap to win the race, actually ends up DNF. That's enough to make grown men cry.

14. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    I would say that until the 908 Long Tail in 1968, Porsche didn't have a top contender for overall victory at Le Mans.
    Until then, it was mainly competing in the 2L class, where it was dominating.

15. tomgt

tomgt F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Tom Wiggers
  16. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

A very interesting article (not only the FORD bit), showing some lights on the ACO's method of management.

To me, it's a great pity when the FIA decided to nominate the ACO as the organisers of the World Endurance Championship, on the ground that they held the showcase event: the 24 hours of Le Mans.

Now that France has completely lost its footprint in F1 (no national team, no French GP, hardly any driver), its interest has turned to endurance. Le Mans has for decades be the main endurance event on the calendar and the ACO grew in stature in its shadow.

So, for the last decade+, they are officially in charge of it; making the rules, drawing the calendar, and administrating it. So, I am not surprised of the blatant bias shown against some participants, and the favourism enjoyed by others.

17. stuntman

stuntman Karting

May 23, 2005
    West Palm, FL
    The Ford GT chassis is REALLY close to the street car.

18. Entropy

Entropy Formula 3
    Owner

Jul 10, 2008
    other than the suspension, dampers, brakes, springs, diffuser, splitter, front/rear fenders, wing, diffuser, braking system, engine management system, front/rear bulkheads, floor, gearbox...

with all due respect, the "distance" between any of the GTE spec cars and their road-going relatives is pretty extreme, and the parts in "common" are those stipulated by the rules

Having said that, the Ford is clearly a design that seems like it started as a race platform and was reversed into a street model.

19. stuntman

stuntman Karting

May 23, 2005
    West Palm, FL
    Same (mfg and location) dampers, same floor, same bulkheads, the racecar has smaller & heavier brakes, and no active aero.

The Ford's GTE entry is probably the closest to the street car of any GTE car. I think that's pretty cool.

20. tomgt

tomgt F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Tom Wiggers
    How many street cars HAVE been built?
    Maybe other manufacturers should do same; develop race car and sell street cars after you raced Sebring Le Mans etc.

"Grand Touring cars are part of the tradition of endurance racing. To be homologated, a GTE (E for Endurance) must be based around a production road car of which 100 examples have been built (25 for a "small manufacturer”, 300 for a carbon chassis). The "race" version must retain the shape of the road-going model from which it is derived. The engine must retain its original location, orientation, and its original position. However, it may be re-positioned for cars of which a minimum number of 2500 examples are produced in a consecutive 12-month period"

21. Entropy

Entropy Formula 3
    Owner

Jul 10, 2008
    Ah, I neglected the "active aero".

Despite the controversies (real, or perceived) Ford decided to go after this, and they got it. I think it's awesome, I'm sure you had fun BTW.

22. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Exactly.

At this rate, the GTE class will degenerate into a prototype category with the genuine GT unable to compete on equal footing, and the sport will lose out.

23. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Seriously.... its become a joke. There are no rules. There is only what manufacturers promise they will do -- someday.

24. stuntman

stuntman Karting

May 23, 2005
    West Palm, FL
    IIRC, ALL mfgs had to approve of allowing the Ford into competition for 2016 before it's first production model hits the showroom later this year. As a Motorsport fan, I think homologation specials are some of the best cars ever built (BMW M3, Porsche 959, F40, etc...). Wasnt the F40 designed to compete against the 959 and wasn't it raced years after the last street car was built?

Id like to think Motorsports and competition drives better street cars and if the Ford forces Ferrari, McLaren, Chevy, Porsche, & Aston to make a better, faster, more prototype-like production cars, I think that just makes the consumer win.

I've also neglected a lot of other cool things that have not been mentioned or released about the car yet. Yes it was an absolutely amazing experience. :)

25. The F40 was raced years after the last car was built. They existed, unlike the GT. (An aside...I don't have a recollection of the F40 being designed to race)

The GT doesn't hit the showroom. They had to be applied for, and the deadline for application is over. Alas, no cars yet on the street.

Has anyone tried to edit their app?