212 MPH IN A PISTA | FerrariChat

212 MPH IN A PISTA

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by FordGTDriver, Jan 20, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FordGTDriver

FordGTDriver Formula Junior

Jun 9, 2007
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

THE V-MAX PROBLEM

Okay, so tell me if this sounds familiar: you stop for fuel in your shiny exotic, and a friendly bystander walks over to chat. Here are the standard 3 questions you are likely to hear. 1. How much did it cost? 2. How fast will it go/how fast have you driven it? 3. What do you do for a living?

While you are on your own as to questions 1 and 3, question 2 is rife with trouble and woe. How many tall tales have you heard about Uncle Eddie in his souped up Camaro who did 200 mph? Making the whole thing even more complicated is that sometimes a guy thinks he went 200 because his speedo told him so. Fact is, this is rarely the case.

As Hall of Fame pitcher Dizzy Dean once said, “it ain’t braggin’ if you can do it”. So, several years ago, I decided that it would be cool to stand there and answer, “yea, I’ve been 208 in it.” And while the guy listening would be sure that I was lying like everyone else, at least I’d drive away knowing I spoke only truth. This led me to begin a quest to hit a legitimate 200 mph.

The top-speed-run thing is complicated, especially if you live outside of Germany. At 200 mph, you are traveling at about a football field per second. It is supremely difficult to find a smooth, open stretch of road to make the attempt. Even more difficult is the fact that it takes some very serious horsepower to bridge the gap from 190 mph to 200. The laws of aerodynamics dictate that only a tiny fraction of cars have the horsepower to make that happen in the real world. Finally, you need some form of independent verification that you really did it. Nothing will quiet a Doubting Thomas quicker than a speed slip from a verified timing system (just ask the drag racing crowd).

The easy solution is to find a runway. But even that has its problems; many municipal airports are way too short, and most are difficult, if not impossible, to arrange for non-aircraft use. Some are not especially smooth, and they are often covered in sand and gravel that eats your car alive at those speeds. In the West, we had the Mojave Air and Space Port, and I ran there at 4 events. The runway is long, smooth, and we usually had a good tailwind (critical). The elevation (2800 ft) however, reduces horsepower. In fact, it was at Mojave that I got my first time in slip showing a 200+ run. (They shut Mojave down to speed runs last year.) I’ve also seen 200+ in my cars at the Sun Valley Road Rally, now known as the Tour De Force. This is on a downhill, public, two-lane road. Super fun, but it only happens once a year and you get only one run per donation. The donation certainly ain’t cheap.

That leads us to the balmy Space Coast in Florida. NASA built a vast runway for the Space Shuttle to land on, and its not only long and smooth, but it’s at sea level and is squeaky clean by runway standards. A fine gentleman named Johnny Bohmer conducts straight line aerodynamic testing there. This allows many manufacturers, Indy and NASCAR teams to test in a pristine, safe and very private environment. (It’s on NASA grounds, so participants have to obtain officially issued badges to even gain access to the facility). It also allows a few lucky enthusiasts with proper safety gear and lots of safety briefings to test the aerodynamic and straight line speed capability of their privately owned cars. Johnny runs a very organized, safe and professional operation. He limits attendance, so participants get as many testing runs as they desire. By the end of the day, everyone goes home exhausted but having well and truly scratched the speed itch.

ENTER THE PISTA

The thing about taking a car to a speed event is that you really don’t know what a car will do...until you know. I’ve seen bone stock Hellcat Chargers that run 200 MPH consistently, and new Porsche Turbos that don’t. I’ve seen heavily modified tuner exotics that make it half way down the runway, abort, and then don’t run again for the rest of the event. The timing system is cold, hard, and totally unsymathetic. I remember a gentleman who worked all day to hit 200. He removed his wipers, he experimented with tire pressures and shift points. On the last run of the day, after the air had cooled, he made a final, all out attempt. The time official radioed back his speed to control central: 199.998 MPH. Now, had I been the timing chief, I may have been tempted to put my thumb on the scale and send the guy home happy. Didn’t happen. Likewise is the Lamborghini driver who was ready to fist fight with the timer when his number differed significantly from the Lambo’s speedo. No 200 for you today, Mr. Raging Bull.

Flash forward to present day. When I pull up in the Pista for the tech inspection at the venue, the crowd of drivers and crew has already assembled, and much to my chagrin, my entrance is anything but subtle; its the only Ferrari in attendance, and the blood red Pista is, apparently, the first anyone in the group has seen. For me, all this attention is certainly not a good thing. I would have preferred to stay off the radar until the metal was tested, but nope, didn’t work out that way. I suddenly fear that everyone is looking at the car like it’s a prima donna. “Yea”, I imagine they are saying in their southern drawl, “that dog is purty an’ all, but can it hunt?” Well crap, so much for walking softly and carrying a big stick. Maranello, I hope your sent your A game, cause the eyes of ‘murica are upon you.

We generally start the event with a half mile run, to give the participants, especially the first-timers, a feel for the venue. We line up single file (there are twelve cars) and each take our turn. All runs are strictly one car only affairs. I pull up to the line, and wait for my signal. I set the Manettino on sport, and turn auto off. I refuse to let the car shift for me, even though I’m pretty sure that it would be faster that way. I get the nod, and squeeze the throttle in first; I’m not using launch control. I watch the LEDs on the steering wheel like a hawk; I don’t want to bounce off the rev limiter and lose momentum. Even with all the adrenaline pumping and the tunnel vision that inevitably accompanies these runs, I can feel the Pista pulling with a ferocity that is startling. In what feels like a blink, I flash through the speed trap, marked by tall flags and cones. 163.4 MPH. I’m feeling relieved and encouraged by this number in the half mile, but I keep my head down and my yap shut. “There’s many a slip ‘twixt the cup and the lip” as my good mother used to say. Or, as Han Solo more succinctly put it to young Luke, “Don’t get cocky kid.”

We move back to the mile. I repeat that same procedure, but this time I get to keep in pinned in 7th gear for much longer, and the mighty turbo engine is pulling like a freight train when I hit the speed trap. 193.5 MPH. Lot’s of approving nods now, and some of my fellow participants are taking a closer look at the Pista. I’m cautious; the big runs will come later in the afternoon, after everyone has been satiated with the mile.

The time finally arrives, and I want to be one of the first cars out. It’s 2.3 miles this time. I re-torque all the lugs, and check tire pressures one more time; I want to feel abosolute confidence when I make this first, real attempt at v-max. I set the Manettino to Race, but leave everything else manual. I don’t want no stinking computer involved now; this is a man’s business.

I stage, and my heart is thudding in my ears. Yes, I’ve seen the YouTube videos of the Pista on the autobahn, and yes, I’ve done this more times than I can count, but it still feels like staring down the barrel of a loaded gun. I have no idea exactly what to expect, for the simple reason that I’ve never done it in a Pista before.

I get the signal, and I’m off. I squeeze the pedal in first, and try to stay just a step ahead of the super short gears. Bang, bang, bang. I’ve unleashed the hounds of hell. In Race mode, the Pista pounds the gears home with authority, snapping my head back, as if to defiantly state “I came to play, how ‘bout you Mr. Driver?”. In no time at all, I’m in 7th gear, and now it’s wide open throttlle and no lift. Ever. Death before dishonor. In an effort to make the car go faster, I decide to try to push the accelerator through the floor. Focus now, focus. No death grip on the wheel, keep your head up and your vision forward, and let the car do its work, just like at the track. The car is still pulling with authority, and as the speed increases, the car starts to move around in the crosswind. No worries, let the car move. All that active aero is your friend. In the shimmering distance, I can see the flags. They are still way, way out there. The revs are nearing redline, and I begin to wonder wether I’ll rev out before the flags. This would be very bad; if the engine bounces off the rev limiter before the speed trap, it will kill my top speed. Nothing for it now but to keep it pegged and hope for the best. The magnificent Pista is still pulling when I hit the trap, and still just below redline.

At these speeds, the moment you let off the gas, the aero drag alone acts like a huge brake. The gigantic carbon brakes join the party, and they laugh off the speed. In no time at all and with zero drama, I slow, make the u-turn, and head back to the start line at a casual 170 MPH. When I arrive, a smiling gentlemen leans in my window. “210” he says, and I let out a war whoop. I thank heaven above, I thank Enzo. I hug my wife and share a multitude of hand shakes and high fives. Yes, I know its silly. I’ve gone much faster in other cars. This isn’t even what the Pista was designed to do, but this still feels like magic. Ferrari showed up and made war. Turns out that dog really can hunt. Forza Ferrari!

We move back to 2.7 miles, and I run again. Because I was so close to redline in the 2.3, I’m wondering whether I will hit the rev limiter. I don’t, and I set my final V-Max: 212.6. I probably could have squeezed a tiny bit more out of it by using power start, and by folding in the mirrors. I didn’t feel like I needed to. The advertised top speed is 211. 212.6 is satisfactory :)

P.S. Johnny’s group filmed all the runs using in car cameras. They produce the videos for YouTube, so I expect that we will see the corroborating evidence of the Pista’s stupendous top speed in a few weeks. Until then, you’ll just have to um, take my word for it.

350MH83, JHNurse, Alvega and 90 others like this.
  2. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Great story. Max speed for Pista is >211 mph so 212.xxx without special prep confirms Ferrari spec.

3. schwoo

schwoo Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2013
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Marquette
    Thanks for sharing. Very well written, nicely done

SuperCarGary and Saabguy like this.
  4. klinkman

klinkman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 29, 2018
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Nice write up Mr FordGT guy. thanks for sharing.

SuperCarGary likes this.
  5. BruceC

BruceC Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 26, 2018
    Tucson, AZ
    Most entertaining read since Autoweek went out of print!

6. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Best post of 2020 by miles. Thank you.

MrAwilson likes this.
  7. Borrow’d Mine

Borrow’d Mine Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 28, 2019
    Florida
    There's a book in there somewhere. Keep em coming.

barkanddex likes this.
  8. Scudmsl

Scudmsl Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 12, 2014
    USA
    Congratulations and thanks so much for sharing. Makes me even happier that I have one in the stable for the long term!

9. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    Great write-up! Congratulations for great runs!

10. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    Awesome write up , kept me engaged , I felt I was there , I felt your excitement.

Congrats & thanks.

11. RoyalPink

RoyalPink Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2019
    Southern Utah
    Full Name:
    John D.
    I think FordGTDriver is really Harry Metcalfe in disguise. Well done.

DefunctNeurons and ktu like this.
  12. mikesufka

mikesufka F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2006
    Crosslake, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike Sufka
    I got goosebumps reading the post - LOL - nice write up !!!!

MDS

13. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    This is great so I have a question, was there a 720s out there and if so, what did it do?

14. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    great write up thanks

15. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    a real page turner. Thank you for sharing your Ferrari adventures here! :cool:

16. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    #16 Caeruleus11, Jan 21, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
    FABULOUS STORY! Thank you for sharing! Forza Ferrari!!!

Question: would it be any advantage to use bumpy road mode?

17. TG

TG F1 Veteran

Oct 26, 2004
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Taylor
    A1 writing.

18. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    Thank you for sharing, I felt like I was there, very well written!
    BTW. I am sharing this , giving your screen name credit for the write up!
    Looking forward to the videos as well,

Steve

19. ferry430

ferry430 Formula Junior

Oct 21, 2012
    Bavaria
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Thx, what a great write up !

20. Steinhart

Steinhart Formula Junior

May 21, 2019
    Scottsdale, AZ, USA
    awesome result, even better story telling, much appreciated and thanks for posting

Question: was your 212.625 mph the top speed that day?

21. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    720S did 216 in 2.7 miles last year. 918 did 218 in 2.3 miles 2 years ago.

MrAwilson and wrs like this.
  22. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    Then the 720s did better than it's advertised top speed also.

Jo Sta7 likes this.
  23. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    as did the 918. Doesn’t surprise me as both 918 and 720S accelerate quicker than advertised as well. Pista seems slightly quicker and faster than advertised but only just. All three are mind blowing performance cars well beyond what’s usable for the street.

MrAwilson, Boomhauer, stavura and 2 others like this.
  24. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    Great read! So how was your speed actually measured? For what period of time? And how is the accuracy determined?

Interesting about folding of the mirrors (could have actually slowed your speed aerodynamically!)

Melvok likes this.
  25. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    and if you want to talk about underrated, a 911 GT2 RS did 219.6 in 2.7 miles March 2019! Wow....