212 Motoring Hit and Run Owner Suing for Damaged Bentley | FerrariChat

212 Motoring Hit and Run Owner Suing for Damaged Bentley

Discussion in 'New York Tri-State' started by Arrwin, Aug 25, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Arrwin

Arrwin Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2004
    Midtown NY
    Full Name:
    Arrwin
    Anyone hear about this?

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_crime/2008/08/24/2008-08-24_hitandrun_driver_claims_city_didnt_take_-1.html

Hit-and-run driver claims city didn't take care of his Bentley after crash
    BY JOHN MARZULLI
    DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Sunday, August 24th 2008, 10:32 PM

Harry Shasho is suing the city for damaging his Bentley (similar model below) used in a hit-and-run.
    In the annals of shameless lawsuits, this one takes the cake.

A Coney Island businessman is suing the city for damaging the Bentley he was driving when he killed a Brooklyn dad in a hit-and-run accident.

Harry Shasho, who pleaded guilty to leaving the scene of an accident, says the NYPD failed to safeguard the battered black 2005 Bentley GT luxury sedan that was impounded as evidence of the fatal crash. He's asking for at least $190,000.

The victim's loved ones are outraged.

"He's not a human being, he's an animal with no conscience," fumed Linda Ruberto, the longtime girlfriend of victim Louis (Pete) Couch, who was killed as he crossed Ocean Parkway.

"Suing the city when you've killed somebody is disgusting," she said. "It's immoral."

"Mr. Shasho has shown greater concern for the condition of his vehicle than the condition of the victim it left behind," added lawyer Stavros Sitinas of Wingate, Russotti & Shapiro, who represented Couch's son in a suit against Shasho that was settled last year.

Shasho, 38, who owns a fancy Coney Island car detailing shop, struck Couch and left the scene without stopping Oct. 1, 2005. He later surrendered to cops and was sentenced to five years' probation and community service.

Couch was intoxicated at the time of the accident, which could have played a role in Shasho's seemingly lenient sentence.

Shasho says the Bentley was in "excellent condition ... with no noticeable defects or damage" when he turned himself in, according to the suit filed in Brooklyn Federal Court.

The police report tells a different story.

It describes the car as crumpled and the windshield "depressed and fractured" by the violent impact with Couch that left his body parts strewn across the street.

The suit seeks damages from the city, the NYPD and the Brooklyn district attorney's office.

It accuses the NYPD of failing to properly care for vehicles, "particularly those which require special care and treatment due to value, style [and] model." Noticeably missing from the suit is any mention of why Shasho was arrested. It doesn't even mention Couch, 54, an assistant manager at a Duane Reade drugstore.

Shasho owns 212 Motoring, a shop that tricks out luxury autos with elaborate sound systems and detailing. Former Knicks forward Jerome Williams is his partner in the business.

Reached by the Daily News, Shasho denied filing a lawsuit and hung up. Shasho's lawyer refused to comment.

[email protected]

2. titanium360

titanium360 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2003
    #2 titanium360, Aug 25, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2008
    harry is a member here. maybe he can shed some light

3. robiferretti

robiferretti F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    NYC area
    Full Name:
    rob ferretti
  4. Black355

Black355 F1 Veteran

Feb 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Emil
    Double WOW...

5. mrbklynbenz

mrbklynbenz Rookie

Mar 5, 2007
  6. NYCSpotter

NYCSpotter Formula 3

May 28, 2007
    New York
    Full Name:
    Damian
    Quadruple WOW. :D

7. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #7 SefacHotRodder, Aug 25, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2008
    QUADROUPLE WOW

EDIT: Eh. Beat by a minute

8. NYCSpotter

NYCSpotter Formula 3

May 28, 2007
    New York
    Full Name:
    Damian
    ...but seriously, wow. :rolleyes:

9. modena

modena F1 Rookie
    BANNED

May 14, 2006
    Full Name:
    John
    I don't think he posts here anymore...never heard anything about this

10. modena

modena F1 Rookie
    BANNED

May 14, 2006
    Full Name:
    John
    Wow by the way

11. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    I'll see your Wow's, raise by another Wow, along with an eyebrow, a pitchfork and a torch.

12. Black355

Black355 F1 Veteran

Feb 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Emil
    #12 Black355, Aug 25, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  13. Speedracer38

Speedracer38 F1 Veteran

Oct 11, 2004
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Jason Thorgalsen
    Looks like the car they took on Bullrun...

14. Blackbird4life

Blackbird4life Formula 3

Jul 8, 2005
    Harry was a good dude on here, sad it went down like that....well the hit and run I mean. /

15. Tobias

Tobias Formula 3

May 22, 2004
    NY
    Killing someone when you're drunk gets you a slap on the wrist? Probation for alchohol-induced vehicular manslaughter is a joke.

16. bointc

bointc Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2006
    Jersey City, NJ
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    I think you're misreading it, the guy who got hit was drunk.

17. Blackbird4life

Blackbird4life Formula 3

Jul 8, 2005
    Just read the comments on the news page.....NY sure is a colorful state.

18. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
  19. targanero

targanero Formula 3

May 31, 2005
    New York
    Full Name:
    Simon
    Why would you leave the scene of a hit and run if you weren't guilty of something? He probably was drunk or otherwise high which could never be proven the next day.

20. jsanocki

jsanocki Formula Junior

Aug 30, 2006
    NJ
    Agreed.... You don't hit someone and not notice it. But some lawyer he must have had... I mean, regardless of the victim being drunk, you don't drive away! And now he is making a stink about them taking care of his Bentley? Lets see...someone walks out/jumps out (speculating) and I hit them, AND KEEP DRIVING. Yeah, I must really care about my 200k Bentley.....

21. AJTozzi

AJTozzi Formula Junior

Jan 22, 2006
    Mine Hill, NJ
    Full Name:
    Anthony Tozzi
    WOW!! (I lost count)

Only in America can you get 90 days in jail for shoplifting $100 worth of food to try to feed your kids (I personaly know someone who did this) but you can KILL ANOTHER HUMAN with your car, fail to stop, GO HOME AND SLEEP (how the hell do you sleep after that?!?!), turn yourself in after you sober up and then get 5 years probation!!! It makes me sick.

Then......

You sue the city for not taking care of your car? Hopefully if he does get any money from the city he gives it right to the victims family. Anybody hear anything about a civil suit?

22. smooth

smooth Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2005
    "Harry was a good dude on here."........
    Yeah, and Charlie Manson was a cute little baby when he was 2 years old; so what's your point?
    Based on the newspaper, the guy's a loser.

23. bointc

bointc Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2006
    Jersey City, NJ
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    I'm not defending him, never used the guy, probably never will, just stating that he misread that part. Have to be fair even though I'm with the guys who think it's messed up, especially if it was just an accident.

24. modena

modena F1 Rookie
    BANNED

May 14, 2006
    Full Name:
    John
    I can't understand how he can sue the city for the damage done to his Bentley? How are they in any way responsible? He seemed like a good guy, never met him or anything but it's just unfortunate how things worked out

25. KennyH

KennyH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 13, 2001
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    Similar situation here-- never met him but seemed like a nice/good guy. Awful situation that I hope no one on here is ever in the position he faced-- but who knows what the true circumstances were. Tough to judge someone without knowing the full story.