208 Turbo | FerrariChat

208 Turbo

Discussion in '308/328' started by markcF355, Sep 27, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. markcF355

markcF355 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 6, 2004
    Schmeckelstan
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Is the 208 Turbo an abomination or a collectible?

2. guygowrie

guygowrie Formula 3

Sep 19, 2011
    ct
    Full Name:
    guy s
    Imho collectible

3. 2281GT

2281GT Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2006
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Markus
    #3 2281GT, Sep 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    What a question !?

Is a 288GTO or a F40 collectible ?

The 208 turbo is the grandfather of them and the first Turbo street car of Ferrari. It's beautiful (similar to the 308 QV), it's VERY rare (only 250 GTS and 437 GTB built) and it's inexpensive ... yet !
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

F40org, Modulo_B and cnpapa24 like this.
  4. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    #4 Albert-LP, Sep 28, 2015
    The 208 turbo 1982-1985 imho is the best looking car of the 3x8 serie, that means one of the best looking Ferrari ever. It's the first Ferrari turbocharged road engine ever. It's very rare. It's not very fast (as fast as the 308 i), but i do not think you buy a 30+ year old car to race. Once you removed the old sodium valves, the reliability is the same as the 308. Needs to be warmed up before moving, or it will be unpleasant to ride until it will be warmed up.

The GTB/GTS turbo intercooler 1986-1989 is simply a rarer 328 with the same power and reliability, even faster: a fantastic car.

All the models have the Naca side air intakes

Imho: a must have (quickly).

ciao

F40org and Modulo_B like this.
  5. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    I want to add this: me and 2281GT are 208 turbo owners, to be honest, so we love this car (I own four...). Maybe you will hear different opinions. But the car is great looking, very rare, and the first Ferrari turbocharged engine ever: this is true and not a personal opinion like "it's car to buy or not".

One data is very impressive: the total number of the twin turbocharged Ferrari produced in the eighties was 1599 (284 288GTO and 1315 F40), all coupè. The total number of the single turbocharged Ferrari produced in the eighties was 1813, 745 coupè and 1078 spider (437 208GTB turbo, 250 208 GTS turbo, 308 GTB turbo intercooler and 828 GTS turbo intercooler).

The first Ferrari street car with a turbocharger was the 1982 208 GTB turbo: the 288 GTO came one year later.

Hope I helped a bit

ciao

6. 2281GT

2281GT Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2006
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Markus
    Yes, that's true, but we both have the comparison with other Ferraris, other 308 Models , other front- and mid-engined Ferraris, 8- and 12-cylinder Ferraris, much older and much younger Ferraris ... so, I think, we are NOT "one-eyed-blind" for this model.

The facts are:
    1. VERY rare.
    2. Prices are today approx. 3 times the prices of 2014. Alberto and me bought cars for about 30k last year, 60k this year, wich are at about 100k (and above) today. But you can still find good examples for about 50k.

See also thread ... http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/308-328/484060-another-208-turbo.html

7. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    #7 Albert-LP, Sep 28, 2015
    The red is more expensive, but the silver is better looking and rarer. It's really incredible that the red costs 15-20 times the silver.

I have no more room at home nor anywhere, or I would buy another!

ciao

8. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    Alberto,

What is a Silver going for today ..... roughly as I like it better than Red?

9. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    #9 Albert-LP, Sep 28, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2015
    Talking about prices in general and not about my specific ones or Markus one, I can say this (please Markus correct me if you think it's useful for the forum).

208 turbo is still easy to find here in Italy, but good conditions ones are VERY HARD to find also here, as it was a cheap car until two-three years ago so it's very easy to find full of rust cars with many not original parts, tons of miles, destroyed engine and mechanic, badly cared everywhere with zero or very low maintenance.

This said, 50-60 k euro is the current price for an average-good one, 70-80 K euro for an excellent one, 90+ k euro for a top level car. Italian prices. Abroad they are higher (10/20% more). This more or less, of course, just to give an idea.

Talking of my ones, the GTS is an extra top level, the GTB intercooler is a Top level, the silver will be an excellent one very soon, the red GTB with Modena plate will be next year something between excellent and top level, with a full restore where needed without any saving.

The silver one is my wife property and she wants to sell it after the restore: I'm evaluating to buy it from my wife... as in silver is simply stunning. We will see within two months.

ciao

10. 2281GT

2281GT Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2006
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Markus
    yes, I agree , but ...

The prices above are correct for a red car, wich have been (IMO) 85% of the production. My white 208 turbo GTS was (for sure) one of 5 to maximum 10 cars bulit (of 250 in total) in bianco FER100 and was 80% original first paint.
    Because of the brochure pictures of a silver GTB (Alberto posted) there are "many" silver GTB, that means ...
    437 GTB in total ... 350 red, 70 silver , 17 other colors. This number is not correct, it's only my "out of the stomach feeling", but I believe, the range could be correct.
    That means, that it is much easier to get a silver GTB than a green or blue one, but much more difficult than to get a red one.

The (italian) price-range, Alberto posted is IMO correct, he is much more "in the market" at italy than me. But I would ad more than 10-20% for a "german car" with german documents and TÜV etc.

So, a silver 208 turbo GTB in germany is IMO 30% above the price-range, Alberto posted.
    100k for an excellent one, 130k for a top level car. There is a dealer ... wich offers a black GTB for 155k and a red GTS for 135k , both condition 3 cars with over 60k Km at the odo, NOT excellent nor top level but only average.

If you have the time to search really hard, you will find a silver one in italy for about 75k in cond 2, wich costs you additional 3k to ship to germany and get the complete documents you need to get it registrated.

11. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    #11 Albert-LP, Sep 28, 2015
    Very interesting to read, Markus: my "Schumacher driven" silver 208 GTB turbo on the German market should cost at least 1 M euro... :). I don't trade cars for work, but I'm sure of this: it's the most underpriced Ferrari at the moment. It should cost more 200 than 100 K euro, as it's by far more rare than a vetro and, good or not, It's the first of a new era engines, rare and very good looking.

For me that's the best investment, today, of all the cars with a prancing horse on it.

Maybe I'm wrong, maybe not: but it's a very nice and rare car, no doubt about it.

Pictures come from the official 1982 sale brochure and one shows Formula 1 driver Didier Pironi aside of the silver 208 GTB turbo.

ciao

F40org and Modulo_B like this.
  12. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    and just to add some knowledge to the forum, the 208 turbo looks like a QV, but it's not the same: just the turbo has the side Naca air intakes, the black front vents (here in Europe they were all in body color on the QV), the deep front spoiler and the roof spoiler as stantard, the twin piece rear bumper and the additional front and rear air vents.

13. E38B12

E38B12 Rookie

Feb 16, 2010
    Sweden
    I admit that those extra intakes do look quite stunning.

Despite the valid argument of the 208 being the first turbocharged Ferrari, the 208 will continue being cheaper than an equivalent ie Vetro or QV for the reason being that unlike the rest, the car was born out of a compromise for the home market. And despite being very fast, despite looking gorgeous and despite being a Ferrari it will always be the compromise of the series. The 208 should be, and will be the good value choice.

No judgement, I've driven one and they're wonderful and very un-Ferrari like when you push them. The turbos are lovely cars if properly sorted.

14. hyenahf

hyenahf F1 Rookie

May 25, 2004
    cool brochure picture however that should have been villeneuve...

15. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    #15 Albert-LP, Sep 28, 2015
    Villeneuve is on that brochure, but just driving his F1 car, the 126C2 turbo. He died few weeks after that brochure was printed (the brochure was printed in April 1982, Gilles died in May 1982).

ciao

16. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    I think they will cost more than a QV very soon. Maybe a vetro will forever cost more (I think so too), but not so much as today (three turbo for one vetro, that's illogical and a nonsense). Anyway, we are all just talking about personal opinions, as future is always unknown. But I'm very glad you like the car.

ciao

ciao

17. E38B12

E38B12 Rookie

Feb 16, 2010
    Sweden
    Well said about the Vetro being a tad overvalued vs the Turbo. The market needs a few nice articles on how well the 208 Turbo actually drives, say Classic and Sports Car, EVO etc. I believe that its arguably the exciting choice of the line. The late 1970s and early 1980s was after all the era when the word Turbo was new, exciting and dangerous - and the 208 exemplifies that very well whilst still being a Ferrari. Anyone who has ever driven one will never forget how the Turbo kickes in (hopefully not mid corner).

18. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    If drivability would affect car's value, you could buy an F40 for 10k.

I own or drove every 208-308-328 engine: 208 turbo and turbo Intercooler are very easy to drive. The F40 isn't, and even killed a Ferrari test driver.

Ciao

19. E38B12

E38B12 Rookie

Feb 16, 2010
    Sweden
    I think you misunderstood me - what I mean, is that if more people would give the 208 Turbo a chance, more people would understand what an exciting car it is to drive. In due time, the characteristic turbo-lag of an early turbocharged car will be the very core of what early turbocharging was about. The problem is that by then, everyone but the most talented will remember how to properly handle a 208 Turbo, a Turbo Esprit or a Porsche 930 (oh god) etc. The rest will have to learn the hard way.

I guess only time will tell what place the 208 Turbo holds in that era, for now its just speculation in a great design...

20. markcF355

markcF355 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 6, 2004
    Schmeckelstan
    Full Name:
    Mark
    #20 markcF355, Sep 28, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2015
    Which do we like better?
    The early one or the inter-cooled?

I like the looks of the early one. GTB.

21. 2281GT

2281GT Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2006
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Markus
    #21 2281GT, Sep 28, 2015
    F40org likes this.
  22. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    #22 Albert-LP, Sep 29, 2015

I agree your choice, the early 208 GTB turbo is the best looking of the bunch. Imho it's definitely the best looking 3x8 ever too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qOKO0PgL5c

Enjoy

early is the first turbocharged ever and the best looking of the 3x8 series. The intercooled is fast, very fast, has much more low rpm power and is rock solid.

ciao

23. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    #23 Albert-LP, Sep 29, 2015
    Some 208 turbo first serie 82-85 driving experience. Maybe not very fast, but very exciting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jUz1AZKXFA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CaAvonUfyY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qOKO0PgL5c

ciao

24. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    #24 Albert-LP, Sep 29, 2015
    In my opinion, silver with black is the more suited color combination for such an aggressive car: It looks like a shark waiting to attack and eating something!

ciao

25. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Waxing lyrical, eh, Alberto? Almost poetic...

Rgds,