205/70VR14 Michelin XWX - buy now! | FerrariChat

205/70VR14 Michelin XWX - buy now!

Discussion in '206/246' started by Longstone Tyres, Jul 31, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Longstone Tyres

Longstone Tyres Formula 3
    Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    Hi

i apologise for such a brutally commercial posting.

I think in the next few weeks te price of the 205/70VR14 XWX i going to go up in price. our retail currently is low compared to where it should be so i would jump on it now if i were you.

https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/classic-car-tyres/ferrari/dino.html

Put it this way, they definately are not going to go down in price, unless the currency does something strong. And if i was clever enough to know what the currency was going to do - i wouldnt be selling tyres

2. Longstone Tyres

Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    Time is running out.

3. Sergio Tavares

Sergio Tavares Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2018
    Full Name:
    Sergio Tavares
    Have you experienced the problem same as the tyres from Coker?
    https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1972-ferrari-dino-246-gt-7/
    The BAT Seller says

"Symbolic_International (The Seller)
    I have received quite a few private emails and had several conversations and it seems there is a well known issue that has not yet been solved with the current batch of XWX tires.
    Let us hope this is corrected sooner than later.

Bill"

The next day

"
    Symbolic_International (The Seller) This author's likes: 10,962

Good evening everyone,

I did not want to distract with more tire woes but I heard from a very valued client and friend who shared the following:

“Bill: as you may recall I have driven my Daytona more than 100,000 miles in the twenty years I have owned it, mostly using XWX’s. for my purposes these were excellent tires for the Daytona-they looked period correct, were good enough in the rain, and handled well enough for my non-racing use.

About ten years ago things changed-the tires feel mushy when cornering. I looked at the sidewalls and saw the they are now made in Serbia. I was also told at the time that these tires weigh quite a bit less than the “old” ones…I didn’t verify that. so-maybe the guy who runs Longstreet can chime in if you asked him. He seems forthright when answering questions about his offerings on the Jaguar chat sites. Or you could ask Coker who I believe actually has them made.

I am currently using Avons on the Daytona-so far I am happy with them.
    For my cars with 14 inch wheels I like the CN 36 tires-they steer easy and ride nicely and corner fine for my use at age 82.”

I also heard from another who chimed in that he replaced his low mileage, low use but quite old XWXs on his 74 Dino GTS and immediately had issues with the dreaded “spongey or squishy” feel that he attributed with air pressure issues. Eventually he gave up and refitted the old XWX and the problem was immediately eliminated. He switched to Pirellis and is quite happy with those.

Another bit of bad news I just learned is that Avon Tyres has closed down and now owned by Goodyear but apparently no decision has been made on what will become of the company or their product lines.

I have had Avon’s on many of my classic road/rally/race cars and always liked them and I definitely need a set for my Alpine A110S GR/4 race car and will need to look at what alternates are out there.

I won’t object if anyone else wants to comment here on tire issues but I have shared more than probably needed.

A wonderful evening to everyone,

Bill

"

4. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I had XWXs on my 330GTC several years ago and they were fine. Now I’m glad I went with CN36 for the 308GT4….and that was mostly due to the tire comparison test from a German magazine that was posted in Dougal’s web site. The Pirellis beat the other tires in every category including price as I recall. And I think they’re actually made by Pirelli.

375+ likes this.
  5. malcolmb

malcolmb Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2002
    San diego
    Full Name:
    Malcolm Barksdale
    I have CN36s on my Fiat and like them a lot. Malcolm

6. Longstone Tyres

Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    Hi

The CN36 are undoubtly great tyres. A bit of exciting news is next week we will receive a new tyre in the CN36. a 195/70VR14, which you might like on an early Dino. they are however made for the Alfa Romeo Montreal, loads of classic Mercedes and BMW and a few other bits and bobs. But the CN36 are great.

https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/pirelli-collezione/cinturato-cn36.html

The Michelin XWX i think have been made in Serbia for well over 10 years now. (possibly as much as 15 years?) I don't beleive their should be any handling differences. I am aware that the tyre is no longer made of the same substances, becuase some of those substances it now illegal to use in tyre production.

I do have experience of Michelin on my own cars over this period fitting the XAS tyres from France and from Serbia on a selection of Daimler V8 250 Saloons, Zetch engined Ford Cortina and Alfa Romeo and i don't think there was a difference in the handling characteristics of these tyres.

https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/michelin-classic-tyres/xas.html

I do currently have the XVS (very similar to XAS) on My Shadow 1, which is a big fat hefty wallowey car if ever there was one, but fitting the Michelin made a great improvement. Its directional stability was very much improved.

In my experience the current productions of Michelin classic tyres is as good as the old ones. I have had one or 2 people disagree but not enough to warrent my beleiving it, and lets face it there are plently of people out there with an axe to grind agaist Michelin. When you are the best everyone wants to have a go at you specially if they are not cheap (just to clarify before a barage comes through - i think Pirelli and Michelin are the best classic tyres. there prices are fair for what they are, but i dont deny it amounts to a large hole in your credit card bill - but then they would wouldnt they)

https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/michelin-classic-tyres/xwx.html

Putting an old tyre back on, will feel stiffer - less subtly in the compounds and less tread depth. I know the XWX feels different and weighs less than the older ones, but i beleive the original handling characteristics are the same.

was the handling difference subtle?
    did you check the tyre pressures 10 miles after fitting?
    did you try a bit more tyre pressure?
    sorry - i don't want to teach peoples grandmothers to suck eggs

I admit i have never had a car on XWX. I did have a V12 Jag that when it came to the point i might have to stick a set of XWX on it i flogged it quick because my wife just kept having babies and i had spent all my money on a chain driven vintage racing car.

get a load of my overtaking manouver up the inside at second 0:48

I flogged my Jag and bought this sensible family car

Avon CR6ZZ are going through a tricky patch, However i beleive it will be resolved. The Avon Factory has been shut but the range will continue. My stocks are currently pretty good. but don't dawdle if you want some. We do ship them all over the world

https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/vintage-tyres/avon-cr6zz.html

Sadly the CR6ZZ look a bit silly on a 70's car. that tread pattern has nothing to do with classic cars it is completely modern. However they do make a good racing tyre on an old car, because they have built a great carcass to suit your chassis

However for road cars we do also have the Pirelli Cinturato P5 now https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/pirelli-collezione/p5.html a great tyre and the best value classic tyre in the size 215/70R15 by miles.

then we also have the CN12 https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/pirelli-collezione/cinturato-cn12.html a bit earlier Lamborghini and Maserati, Aston Martin, De Tomaso etc tyre. they also make a 255/60R15 CN12 which i should get again in a month or so for the back of the Muira SV.

hot news it the 205VR14 CN72 should be with us soon for the 275GTB and loads of 330 models. https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/pirelli-collezione/cinturato-cn72.html

we could probaly do some great Pirelli for an Alpine A110 https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/classic-car-tyres/alpine-renault/a110.html we have 165R13 CN36 and coming soon again 185/70R13 CN36

Jack-the-lad likes this.
  7. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Thanks, Dougal.

Could you post a link to the comparison test I mentioned in #4 above? Some here might find it useful. I realize it’s a few years old now but I imagine most of it….except the prices ;)…still applies. Thanks!

8. Longstone Tyres

Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    Hi

Yep this is it

https://cinturato.net/images/test-classic-tyres-0716.pdf

It is well within the Serbian production.

I must say i was suprised by the results the XWX got. I wonder about date codes and freshness of the tyres tested. but that might just be me making excuses for them, as a strong Michelin advocate who has only ever had good experience. Really the reason i think the Michelin didn't do so well is i think the XWX reacts better to a heavier car, and this test was for a Porsche. I was dissappointed by Michelins wet results, but i don't think it is really built as a wet tyre, but again is that me making excuses, though a date code issue would effect that. I do actually think the Vredestein is a bit soft which would give it a leg up in the wet. However this is the bit i really think is the bit that matters, and in my mind the reason you buy a Ferrari and stick a Michelin or a Pirelli on it:-

"On the almost 3km long Tazio Nuvolari circuit south of Milan, the test driver had ample opportunity to test this, especially when the tyres from Blockley were straining for a connection between the car and the road; with a lack of lateral guidance and a swerving back axle the driver experienced a rollercoaster ride. The Vredestein Sprint classics also made it difficult to keep the rear axle in the lane. On the other hand the Porsche is well balanced on the road with Michelin and Pirelli"

I can confidently say if i was hammering a really fast '60s, 70's and '80s Super car, be it a Ferrari, Lambo (or even my old XJ12 that i did 147mph in) i would want to do it with Michelin or Pirelli rubber between my rims and the road.

https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/classic-car-tyres/ferrari.html

Incidentally; i dont know why they put rolling resistence on there. Its totally unfair. there was no such thing as rolling resistence when those period tyres were developed. They only invented it somewhat later. There is no reason why the Blockley and Vredestein would not smash it out the park on rolling resistence as completely new tyres.

Jack-the-lad likes this.
  9. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
  10. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

A while ago I asked Coker AND Michelin when was the last time that the XWX was tested to the VR standard. I never got an answer. I would think that you shouldn't be able to stamp a VR rating on a tire that is made of different materials now without documenting that it had been re-tested.

So, when was the last time that the XWX was tested, and did it meet the VR rating?

Edward 96GTS likes this.
  11. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    i replaced 20 plus yr old xwx tires. 215/70 size.
    one tire was 9 pounds heavier than the other 3.

12. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    My feeling is that Michelin is way better than Pirelli for modern tires, and Pirelli is way better than Michelin for vintage tires. Obviously, it will always comes down to individual tire models, but that seems to be the general trend from what I've seen.