2021 F1 changes | Page 24 | FerrariChat

2021 F1 changes

Discussion in 'F1' started by intrepidcva11, Apr 4, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Couldn't they have Monaco without public? It worked for other circuits.

2 years without a GP could put Monaco at risk on the F1 calendar, IMO.

2. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

I hope it is at risk. Real racing at other more exciting circuits where passing is possible. Keep Monaco for the fashion show it is without points at all. Charity races with F1 cars and spec machines as in the past. If not that - let it go forever. Business was done without this year.

subirg, mdrums, kes7u and 1 other person like this.
  3. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

You have a point. Monaco becomes more irrelevent year after year, as the cars have grossly outgrown the circuit which cannot be improved much.
    It is now a lottery more than a race. I gather it has been kept on the calendar for historical reason, and thanks to sponsors support.
    Monaco benefits from several exemptions from the FIA; on the safety aspect first, but also it doesn't pay any fee.

mdrums and kes7u like this.
  4. DF1

Given the budget cap and loss of revenue via pandemic, its time for Monaco and the 'wealth' there to pay something instead yes?

5. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

F1 needs Monaco, or Monaco needs F1. Which one is it?

6. DF1

Monaco thinks F1 needs it. Clearly not after this year. Monaco is not the 'Ferrari' of F1 circuits. That would be Spa lol :)

william likes this.
  7. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    As a fan, I could careless that F1 is at Monaco or not. Race is boring..

DF1 likes this.
  8. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Whilst I agree that the race at Monaco is often boring (especially with these ultra wide cars), the qualifying is utterly superb. For that alone it deserves a place on the calendar. And I hope for many more years to come.

The one track that deserves nuking into oblivion is Paul Ricard.

fil and jpalmito like this.
  9. DF1

We speak of 'normal' post pandemic. I hope for new normal without Monaco, Ricard etc. More competitive formula 1 and better choice of circuits etc. The old 'normal' F1 was a touch dismal!

mdrums likes this.
  10. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Agree the new Paul Ricard is a shame as a track.
    I was there in 1990 for the last race and the Prost victory( Ferrari).
    Track was a lot less friendly and forgiving for drivers.

11. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Le Castellet is a dull track, and not very good for spectating, also access is a pain.
    Bernie Ecclestone bought it, to turn it into a "super safe" test tract; hence the tarmaced run-off areas all over the place
    Bernie saw the limited appeal of the circuit: he didn't expect to have major competition held there anymore, and even tore down some grandstands.
    The circuit came back to host the French GP after years of interruption, thanks to financial help from the regional authority.
    Bernie's ex-wife, Slavika, now owns Paul Ricard, received as part of their divorce settlement, from what I read.

12. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I'd much prefer they go to Magny cours. What a great track that is...one of my favourites and allows for proper racing.

And for those saying Monaco is only for the rich to attend...well Magny Cours is the anti- Monaco! Virtually no hotels to speak of so you're practically forced to camp or something. :D

DF1 and jpalmito like this.
  13. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Charade would be a great choice either but I guess helmut Marko would disagree ..

375+ likes this.
  14. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    It would certainly be one of the most beautiful settings for a GP...!

15. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Several circuits held GPs in France, but then ran out of money. Bugatti, Dijon, Magny Cours.
    F1 made a return at Paul Ricard thanks to public money, but that won't last, IMO.

16. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I love Monaco for many reasons, not the least for actually going there.

It'd be a sad day to see it disappear from the calendar. Luckily I don't think that is going to happen: F1 is run by $, mostly sponsor/marketing $ and those people like to show off and to be shmoozed and coddled. There is no better place in the calendar than Monaco and that's why I don't fear for the race getting the axe.

However I doubt we will see it next year as May does seem too early. In fact I'm starting to wonder about Montreal as well. Good thing I have my hotel room for COTA booked already. :)

17. DF1

Was there for the last GP. Superb region outside of track for enjoyment and break from urban life. Bring it back.

Bas likes this.
  18. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Monaco is a nice setting, I agree.
    But the cars don't fit the tight circuit anymore, and that affects the racing. That's my objection.
    I wonder if they think about Monaco when they draw a new of technical rules; probably not.

19. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    You are going to keep 100,000 people from their homes for 5 days just to have an F1 race ???

The thing is people live, sleek, cook, bathe within 15 steps of the race track...........

tifosi12 likes this.
  20. DF1

Certainly one circuit should not drive regulations. F1 has an opportunity to redirect energy to a point where F1 can achieve its stated goals of better competition. A full circuit and calendar update is one part of that. Decline or change Monaco, fix Yas etc.

21. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

There are only 39 000 people registered living in Monaco, some not in the vicinity of the track, other not there at the time of the GP.

I don't think it would be a problem for the GP to go ahead without public attendence, and empty stands.

People watching from their balconies would simply have to follow the sanitary rules.

22. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

The regulations should make sure the cars are suitable for all the circuits on the calendar.

Or, the FIA should exclude circuits that can't accommodate their new generation of cars.

Since cars are redesigned almost every years, I suggest changing the rules to adapt them to the circuits would be less expensive than modifying the circuits.

It's done in other series (WEC, WRC, Indycar, Dakar, MotoGP, etc ...), the FIA should be more pro-active when writing F1 rules?

23. DF1

The ideal we do not have..........yet lol ?

24. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

F1 rules are written by engineers, and I don't think they have the circuits in mind when they draw new regulations.

The FIA don't seem to learn from previous mistakes.

25. DF1

Well said!