2021 F1 changes | Page 2 | FerrariChat

2021 F1 changes

Discussion in 'F1' started by intrepidcva11, Apr 4, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JWeiss

JWeiss F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 18, 2010
    NYC and Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    JWeiss
    Honda makes reliable cars, too.

2. CSM0TION

CSM0TION Formula Junior

Oct 14, 2004
    Long Island,New York
    Full Name:
    Brandon
    Audi and VW are not going to enter if the engines aren't relevant though. So to go back to noisey V8's will prevent the additional factories that Liberty want.

3. Jana

Jana F1 Veteran

Mar 4, 2015
    Ha. Yes, but I don't drive one so I don't care. :)

4. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    They just don't give them to Alonso.

5. ELP_JC

ELP_JC Formula 3

Dec 13, 2008
    To make engines simpler, they'd have to be larger and rev lower, to the point of not needing pneumatic activation. Strange not a single mention of displacement so far. I don't think that'd make a bit of difference. Don't see myself following F1 much longer. Will still do it this year while Ferrari has a chance to win, but it's still pathetic to watch most of the time. Bring back the V8s, and leave the hybrid crap to Tesla;).

6. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    JUNE 15, 2017

F1 will never go all-electric says Todt

Jean Todt says F1 will never abandon its petrol-based origins and join Formula E as an all-electric powered series.

"It's impossible," the FIA president told La Presse newspaper.

"F1 is an absolutely different discipline," he insisted.

Todt said he is a great supporter and fan of Formula E, but he thinks F1 took the right path by heading in the hybrid direction a few years ago.

"It is a huge step forward compared to what we had before," said the Frenchman.

However, Todt also said the progress made by Formula E since its inception has been "remarkable".

"We have a dozen manufacturers who want to get involved, and have been approached by some of the biggest cities in the world," he said.

"Today there are brands like Renault that are in F1 and Formula E."

And Todt was also quoted by Le Journal de Montreal: "I am confident that one day Ferrari will follow suit, and we would like to see that."

7. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
  8. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
  9. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    JUNE 20, 2017

Porsche to attend F1 engine meeting, Austria GP

Porsche could be contemplating a future move into formula one.

The Volkswagen-owned German sports car maker has just won its third overall victory at Le Mans on the trot -- and F1 could now be on the horizon.

That is the claim of Germany's Auto Bild, saying Porsche has accepted an invitation to attend the next meeting to discuss F1's post-2020 engine rules.

"We now know the (Le Mans) regulations for 2020," said Porsche's Le Mans chief Fritz Enzinger.

"In the next weeks Peugeot should decide whether they come or not. But even if they do, we have to consider whether we want to go another two or three years in Le Mans.

"At the moment, I cannot assess that," he added.

The Auto Bild report mentioned that Formula E is one post-Le Mans option for Porsche, but there are also rumours McLaren is interested in a customer engine deal with the marque.

As Porsche won at Le Mans last weekend, the fabled endurance race was being attended not only by McLaren executive Zak Brown, but also F1 team boss Eric Boullier.

And Auto Bild said that in just over two weeks, Porsche's Enzinger and his fellow chief Andreas Seidl will attend the Austrian grand prix.

10. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Shall we take that as an early warning of a McLaren-Porsche for the next set of rules circa 2021?

I wonder.

11. CSM0TION

CSM0TION Formula Junior

Oct 14, 2004
    Long Island,New York
    Full Name:
    Brandon
    Their first try notwithstanding, That would be awesome. But again Mclaren and Porsche compete for customers so is that really the best marriage. The 570 was a direct competitor to a segment Porsche has owned forever. Not sure how the marketing play there would work.

I think more likely is MB is washing their hands of F1 and the team needs to be sold to another factory. Porsche could be it!

12. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

I can't see it myself, since Porsche (VAG) and Mercedes are dead rivals, but one never knoiw

13. CSM0TION

CSM0TION Formula Junior

Oct 14, 2004
    Long Island,New York
    Full Name:
    Brandon
    Very true but a top flight F1 team probably only has so many suitors and if they truly want out then this just may be their best option.

On the other hand I don't know why Porsche would want to go into F1. Other than hubris there really isn't a good reason. They should push to bring back something like GT1 at Lemans, ditch the prototypes, and have another go. At least in my perfect world lol.

14. JWeiss

JWeiss F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 18, 2010
    NYC and Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    JWeiss
    Yeah, but what better way to destroy a rival than to sell them an F1 team?

15. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Lawrence Stroll might buy it ...

16. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    LOL

17. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    What an all round shambles. F1 is not in a good place - primarily due to the PU regs. The rest of the formula might not be perfect, but it's acceptable. How hard can it be to solve this one problem? 2021 is too long to wait. It would be better to dust off the old V8s and get back to those. Sound great. Cheap to buy and run by comparison.

Le Mans isn't in better shape. Pretty much all the lmp1 cars, including the winner grenaded during the race. A technical travesty played out in front of millions of spectators around the world. Both formulae are off piste right now - just because of their PUs.

Simplify to survive.

18. stever

stever F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 18, 2006
    West. Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Steve R
    When automobiles were new to the world, reliability was a major part of winning. Today, new technologies make reliability a factor again.

I'm OK with that. You can bet Toyota and Porsche are learning things that will make their road cars better. That's why racing began, in some part,to convince the public horses were obsolete. Today, it's to show the IC engine isn't the only way. I think it's great!

19. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    +1

I am not bothered by reliability problems at Le Mans; that's what an endurance race is supposed to be - punishing for the drivers and testing for the cars.

Only 12 cars DIDN'T finished? So what ?

I remember the time when only 12 cars FINISHED! and one year it was only 6 out of 55 !!!

20. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    #45 jgonzalesm6, Jun 20, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  21. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    F1: UK's 2019-24 pay TV deal 'immutable'

Formula 1 commercial chief Sean Bratches has admitted that the sport will not be shown on free-to-air (FTA) TV in the United Kingdom from 2019 through at least 2025, given Sky's "immutable" deal.

F1: UK's 2019-24 pay TV deal 'immutable' - GPUpdate.net

22. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Porsche could power the cans as RB is close with VW

23. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    I thought Liberty wanted to increase the fan base.

24. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Great, not a single corner on which to overtake on! DRS all the way :rolleyes:

25. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    Why are Porsche and Mercedes dead rivals? There was a time when even a Mercedes (E500) was assembled in the Porsche factory...

About VW into F1: what about Bugatti? There was a time when Bugatti dominated Grand Prix racing. As the whole Bugatti brand nowadays is purely for prestige and not for making money this would be just the logical next step...