2021 F1 changes | Page 19 | FerrariChat

2021 F1 changes

Discussion in 'F1' started by intrepidcva11, Apr 4, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Will thet get away with it though ? Because that goes right against the intended effect.

2. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Better looking but a SPEC series with lousy sounding engines (compared to the old normally aspirated engines). Atleast for now they are not trying to push full electric down our throats. That will make the track experience almost useless as you might as well watch it on TV with announcers talking.

3. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

https://www.planetf1.com/news/brawn-f1-will-crash-and-burn-without-a-cost-cap/ - Brawn states - "“Teams have been advised like any transgression, if your car is illegal, this will have teeth. It has to otherwise it will get played strategically. The teams are so competitive.”

The teams have already begun doing as he states.
    I dont see this being enforceable. Eventually the teams will come together to fight this if a team is penalized and others are in jeopardy. It might force teams to leave etc. Together the teams will be stronger to face this. The FIA will not be able to fully enforce this. It will destroy the sport to impose this strictly I think.

william likes this.
  4. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

You have teams based in UK, Italy, Switzerland and the USA.
    These countries have different labour costs, energy costs, different overheads and taxation, etc ...
    How can they equalise the budgets?
    Even the currencies fluctuate all the time !

5. DF1

6. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    The teams should design the cars, not the FIA. It's one thing to set out a series of engine equivalents, as they did with 12, 8 and turbos in the 70s and 80s, but when everyone is running the same engine, there is no individuality of the designs, nobody is really going crazy and trying something new. Same with aero...let the designers go wild and the best design will win. And let the cars change during the year so people can make mistakes and then try to catch up. One of the things I loved about racing vintage cars was that we all were driving very different machines and racing each other. I had some great fights with my Giulietta Veloce spider against a tarted out series one Bug eyed Sprite. He was lighter and actually had a slightly bigger engine, but he also over heated and he had to stay off the tiger teeth. My brakes were better, my engine was stronger, and my suspension was just enough softer that I could drive over the tiger teeth without upsetting the car. The Ferrari flat 12s, the Matra V12, the Ford V8s, the Renault turbos...these were really different approaches to cars...not computer generated copy cats. And they won't bring this back and so the racing will get worse and worse. And eventually just dry up and blow away.

7. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    You are talking about the good old days, and they won't come back.

8. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    What team is based in USA? Haas is based in the Netherlands (sort of).

9. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Haas' status is very confusing.
    They are racing under a US licence, I think, so I presume their headquarters are in the States.
    A few years ago, they were showing new buildings in the US for their F1 team.
    They also bought premises in UK (ex-Manor or Caterham, I think) to have a base in Europe.

"The team is headquartered in Kannapolis, North Carolina – 50 km (31 mi) from Charlotte – alongside sister team and NASCAR entrant Stewart-Haas Racing, though the two teams are separate entities. The team also established a second forward base in Banbury in Oxfordshire for the purpose of turning cars around between races during the European part of the calendar."

quoted from Wikipedia

10. Kiwi Nick

Kiwi Nick Formula 3

Jun 13, 2014
    Durango, CO
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Hey, easy with that reality stuff. You'll make their heads explode.

william likes this.
  11. Kiwi Nick

Kiwi Nick Formula 3

Jun 13, 2014
    Durango, CO
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    The FIA always likes to proclaim that their rules are driven by fairness. What they really mean to say is that they are driven by envy.

G. Pepper likes this.
  12. DF1

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/147521/wolff-no-driver-fishing-till-hamilton-plans-known

Mercedes boss Toto Wolff says his team will not embark on a "fishing mission" to lure other top Formula 1 drivers for 2021 until Lewis Hamilton's plans become clear.

The driver market silly season kicked off over the Abu Dhabi weekend as speculation in the Italian media suggested that Ferrari chairman John Elkann had already made contact with Hamilton.

That prompted a response from Wolff, who said that his outfit was 'totally okay' if Hamilton had spoken to Ferrari, and explained it was important that future talks were approached in a transparent manner.

If Hamilton were to leave, then Red Bull's Max Verstappen would be the favourite to replace him should the Dutchman feel that the German car manufacturer offered him a better chance in the future.

But despite having been linked several times with Verstappen in the past, Wolff says that Mercedes will not consider sounding out other drivers until it has decided one way or another what is going to happen with Hamilton.

"I think that the values within the team are that loyalty and integrity are absolutely number one on the list," said Wolff.

"Understanding Lewis' position and objectives will be key for any decision that we take.

"So we will not embark on a fishing mission with potential drivers out there before Lewis and us have had this discussion.

william and G. Pepper like this.
  13. DF1

Via AutoSport + Cowell of Powertrain Mercedes evaluates in this part the changes with budget cap and respect to development 2021 rules:

--F1's forthcoming budget cap will also have an effect, since it mandates reduced dyno activity and ERS running. But Cowell cautiously suggests that might have a beneficial effect on development rather than curtailing it.

"Talking to the guys who have experienced this sort of regulation on the windtunnel, they've quite enjoyed the journey," he says. "You have to think more before you start, make sure it's good quality. That's healthy, good productivity stuff.

"So I don't think it will slow down our rate of development. It may improve because the quality of the tests we do will be better. The accuracy of the data will have finer resolution.

"Our upfront computer-aided engineering will have to be stronger such that it is closer to reality. It's a change we need to make over the next 13 months."--

https://www.autosport.com/f1/feature/9811/the-secrets-that-show-mercedes-f1-power-is-still-king

G. Pepper likes this.
  14. Kiwi Nick

Kiwi Nick Formula 3

Jun 13, 2014
    Durango, CO
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    So, the real competition is between CAD systems and algorithms. Ah, the romance of man and machine hurtling at top speed through terabytes of random access memory.

DF1 and G. Pepper like this.
  15. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
  16. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
  17. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    G. Pepper likes this.
  18. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
  19. DF1

Nothing in Autosport or other sources etc..............

20. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Lewis in red.

Some heads here will explode.:D

Laserguru likes this.
  21. 05011994

05011994 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2004
    Golden, Colorado
    Lewis could be left without a competitive ride, if Mercedes is gone and Ferrari have Leclerc signed fir 5 years, they do mot need Lewis. Lewis could go back to McLaren.

22. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Hopefully he'll get the Ferrari seat.

But if he ends up at McLaren, it might not be so bad either: At that point they are a rebranded MB and might be competitive again.

When Lewis left McLaren and went to the also-run MB team, everybody thought he just made a capital career mistake.

DF1 likes this.
  23. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

But why would he do that ?
    Hamilton can simply stay in the same team rebranded Aston Martin.