2020 Australian GP pre race thread | Page 16 | FerrariChat

2020 Australian GP pre race thread

Discussion in 'F1' started by DF1, Mar 1, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
  2. fer312t

fer312t Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2010
    #377 fer312t, Mar 13, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2020
    Haha, congratulations of inventing a reason to knock Lewis in all this ;)
    I'm sure if Lewis said little/nothing and had been the first to silently abscond (ala Kimi) you would have pilloried him for that too :D

Anyway, as if often the case - Lewis plays the role of elder statesmen very well...he was of a very few to speak thoughtfully, openly, earnestly.

Patrick Dixon and william like this.
  3. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Well said.
    Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
    Hamilton haters look at any opportunities to spread their virus.
    That gives very little credit to their credibility on this forum.

4. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
    Until not so long ago [or I may be showing my age] the Championship consisted of on 16 races; and I AM comfortable with that. Every race counts even more now. :)

Patrick Dixon and william like this.
  5. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    I agree with you there.
    I followed F1 when there was 8 or maybe 10 GPs a year.
    The championship wasn't poorer for it, and every race felt very special.
    I think now there is some sort of inflation of GPs, and the attraction is devalued.

Jakuzzi and classic308 like this.
  6. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Honestly, I can't see how any race could be happening before at least september for the countries that started with it early...and I'm even not convinced these countries will be out of their misery at that time.
    The season is toast.

Rgds

Bas, classic308, furoni and 2 others like this.
  7. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

The global economy will take a massive hit by the look of things.
    The consequences of coronavirus are akin to a world war paralysing countries.
    F1 is just a footnote compared to that.

8. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    In view of the continued global spread of COVID-19 and after ongoing discussions with the FIA, the Bahrain International Circuit, the Bahrain Motor Federation, the Hanoi People’s Committee the Vietnamese Motorsports Association, and the Vietnam Grand Prix Corporation, a decision has been taken by all parties to postpone both races due to take place on the 20th – 22nd March in Bahrain and April 3rd – 5th April in Vietnam.

Following the announcement of the Australian Grand Prix’s cancellation this week and the ongoing and fluid nature of the COVID-19 situation globally, Formula 1, the FIA and the promoters have taken these decisions in order to ensure the health and safety of the travelling staff, championship participants and fans, which remains our primary concern.

Formula 1 and the FIA continue to work closely with the race promoters in Bahrain and Vietnam and the local authorities to monitor the situation and take the appropriate amount of time to study the viability of potential alternative dates for each Grand Prix later in the year should the situation improve.

As a result, Formula 1 and the FIA expect to begin the Championship in Europe at the end of May but given the sharp increase in COVID-19 cases in Europe in recent days, this will be regularly reviewed.

Formula 1 Chairman and CEO, Chase Carey, said:

“The global situation regarding COVID-19 is fluid and very difficult to predict and its right we take time to assess the situation and make the right decisions. We are taking this decision with the FIA and our promoters to ensure the safety of everyone involved in Formula 1 and our fans. The Bahrain Grand Prix is an exciting race in our schedule, and we look forward to being back there as soon as we can. We are also looking forward to Vietnam’s inaugural race and bringing the spectacle of F1 to one of the most exciting cities in the world.”

FIA President, Jean Todt, said:

“Protecting people first. Together with Formula 1, the Bahrain Motor Federation, the Vietnamese Motorsports Association, and the local promoters, postponing both the Bahrain and Vietnam Grands Prix, as with the Australian Grand Prix, was the only possible decision given all of the information currently available to us. We continue to rely on the input and advice from the World Health Organisation (WHO) and governments and will work with them throughout this unpredictable period to safeguard the fans, competitors and all of the motor sport community.”

9. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    Isn’t that you by the Mini lorry? ;). Congrats on remaining a fan over the years, I was 6 when I attended my first race and caught the bug immediately. Loved the Rob Walker reports in R/T and British magazine race reports the odd time we’d get them this side.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

DF1, Jakuzzi, G. Pepper and 7 others like this.
  10. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

My first championship race was the 1961 Belgian GP at Spa.
    A reward from my godfather for my good school results !!

11. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Wow!

I wasn't even born then.

wrxmike likes this.
  12. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    First GP might be Monaco then?!

13. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Maybe.

But could be Baku in June.

14. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I was :D

Jakuzzi likes this.
  15. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

A late-night phone call between Daimler CEO Ola Kallenius and Mercedes Formula 1 boss Toto Wolff changed the fate of the Australian Grand Prix, Autosport has learned.

In the wake of a McLaren team member being confirmed as having contracted coronavirus, the Woking-based outfit withdrew from the F1 season opener on Thursday night.

That move triggered a meeting between the other teams for talks with F1 managing director of motorsport Ross Brawn at the Crown Hotel in Melbourne to discuss what should happen next.

With FIA president Jean Todt joining the meeting via telephone, it was agreed that the fate of the F1 season opener would rest on what a majority of teams wanted to do.

The only circumstances under which the race could be cancelled by the governing body and F1 was if a further four teams withdrew from the race.

G. Pepper likes this.
  16. DF1

Red Bull boss Christian Horner says Formula 1 considered putting the paddock in 'lockdown' in attempts to continue with the Australian Grand Prix, but did not get the teams' support.

In the wake of a McLaren team member contracting coronavirus, the Woking-based outfit withdrew from the season opener in Melbourne.

That move prompted late-night talks on Thursday with the other nine teams, plus F1 and FIA chiefs, to discuss the next steps.

Speaking to Autosport about those discussions, Horner said that he had been in favour of pushing on under certain circumstances - which included an event sealed off to anyone but F1 personnel.

"Obviously we discussed the different scenarios," he said. "There was a discussion of locking the paddock down and taking further precautions.

"The health authority and the FIA were okay to continue, if the majority of teams were okay with it. But unfortunately that didn't happen."

17. DF1

Australian Grand Prix chief Andrew Westacott will discuss the possibility of rescheduling the race for later in the year with Formula 1 following its cancellation.

Officials from the FIA, F1 and the Australian Grand Prix Corporation called off the race on Friday just two hours before the planned start of practice, after the first case of coronavirus was confirmed in the F1 paddock on Thursday evening.

A member of the McLaren team tested positive after showing symptoms, and has been placed into a two-week quarantine with 14 further team members who had been in close contact with the individual.

F1 is monitoring the viability of upcoming races, but the season could now start as late as June, followed by a significant rescheduling of the calendar.

Asked if the Australian Grand Prix had been scrapped completely for 2020, AGPC CEO Westacott said the announcement of the cancellation had been deliberately worded to avoid confusing fans.

"It's important to say that we used the word cancellation because of the immediacy of the timing of it," said Westacott.

polishhammer83 and G. Pepper like this.
  18. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    So, if the event is cancelled, refunds are due. If postponed, tickets are still valid.

19. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Humm, a few airlines may go bankrupt in between ...

Isobel likes this.
  20. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    Everyone (airlines, cruise ships. tour operator, passengers) was waiting to see who would blink first. There was a local story about a family that was supposed to go on a cruise, but wanted to cancel because of the COVID19 situation in Asia. At that time (the end of January), the cruise line was not cancelling cruises and if the family wished to do so, they would lose about $40k. Then the Princess cruises got quarantined and there were more COVID19 infections. Finally, the cruise line cancelled the cruise.

21. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Anyone arriving in Oz gets 14 day mandatory self isolation, amazing that they were even contemplating the race to go ahead.

22. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

They could do sporting events without public attendance, and that may even catch on in future.
    No crowd control necessary, no football hooligans, no vandalism, minimal police presence, there is an upside to it.

23. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Nice !

My first race was Watkins Glen 1968. I was just about 10 months old... don't remember it, but have pictures showing me there with my mom & dad. first race I remember - 1970 GP at Watkins Glen.... been to every F-1 race at WG from 1968 to the end. only Us GP I missed was Dallas.

My dad's first GP race was Sebring in 59... he's been to all of them except the ones at Indy and COTA. ( in his 80's now.)

Isobel, william and 375+ like this.
  24. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    OK boomers ;)

Isobel likes this.
  25. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    My first GP was Watkins Glen 1973. My last was COTA 2013, will not attend Hybrid era **** show races.