2019 Rolex 24 | FerrariChat

2019 Rolex 24

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by RWatters, Nov 27, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RWatters

RWatters Formula 3

Feb 21, 2006
    Kansas
    Jakuzzi likes this.
  2. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    Yes with Jimmie Johnson fishing to be included although, maybe, that ship just sailed thanks to Konica Minolta.

3. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I am really interested to see the speed differential between the DPi and P2 now that they are in separate classes.

Bummed to see Paul Miller Racing move to PWC (or whatever it is called) purely because of driver ratings. They always claim the driver rating system is there to keep the AMs interested, but I wonder how many would actually pull out if all Pro teams were allowed.

4. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Is WilliamH competing??? :)

GuyIncognito likes this.
  5. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    that really is a shame, and should be a wake up call to IMSA and the FIA to scrap the system.

6. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    Scrap the system or have a universal system? FIA have Sellers as silver and IMSA have him gold. If we didn't have the constant "not invented here so can't be any good" between the 2 bodies maybe this wouldn't have to be an issue.
    Basically the GTD Champions are leaving the series because of a driver rating and an AM driver who wants to stick with his team mate.

7. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex

Let's not forget that they were also expanding to a 2 car team, so IMSA lost 2 entries...not just 1.

8. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    my issue isn't Seller's rating, it's Snow's. Snow got upgraded to gold (gold snow, huh huh) so the pairing doesn't work in IMSA.

Well, Snow is an Am-his family funds the program. The point of driver ratings was to delineate between pros and ams. So you have an Am rated gold (pro) with plenty of "fake silver" pros out there. And usually the "fake silvers" are supported by a manufacturer (junior team drivers, etc) as a way to manipulate the system to help GT3 manufacturers sell a program.

either scrap the system entirely, or make the distinction based on contracts/funding/how you earn a living and not some convoluted performance metric that is applied to pros and ams alike.

Devilsolsi likes this.
  9. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Thinking about attending Daytona.

Haven't been to a race in a while, starting to look as though it's shaping up nicely.

BHW

Jakuzzi likes this.
  10. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    I might zip down to Daytona this year on Sunday. already have my tickets for Sebring 12h

Jakuzzi likes this.
  11. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I will likely be at Daytona. Really want to do Sebring as I have never been. Currently trying to convince my wife of all of this, who for some reason, thinks buying new furniture is a better use of money.

GuyIncognito likes this.
  12. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    IMO, Sebring is a much better "experience" than Daytona.

good luck with your wife ;)

F1tommy and Isobel like this.
  13. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I have heard that. Done Daytona twice so far, but I love it. One of the appeals for doing Daytona is my parents rent a house for the winter in Cape Coral, so we can go down for a week, spend some time with my parents, and then I can drive across for the 24. They won't have the house anymore when it is time for Sebring unfortunately.

She will come around. She gets pretty much a free vacation out of this. She just stays in Cape Coral while I go to the race. I just wish she would agree to all of this before everything gets booked.

GuyIncognito likes this.
  14. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    Have hotel reservations for the Roar and for the race. Wife can't make the Roar trip but we might extend the race into a week and do a few days in Orlando.

15. Manda racing

Manda racing Formula 3

Feb 25, 2015
    Bakersfield, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark
    FCA track day following race on Monday. FYI

16. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
    I checked on RV camping a couple months ago. It was all sold out. And at the time NONE of the RV lots were sold out for the 500. I’m still thinking about going for the day.

Jakuzzi likes this.
  17. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    GuyIncognito likes this.
  18. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    RV camping, infield parking and hospitality all sell out by June for the 24H.

Jakuzzi likes this.
  19. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    I wonder if that was an attempt to get IMSA to reconsider Madison's rating.

20. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    Funny how the story of the PWC move is now missing from the Racer site. I think a couple of journos are feeling like they got played.

GuyIncognito likes this.
  21. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I have a feeling this isn't the final chapter in this story either. On this week's Marshall Pruett podcast they talked bout PMR regretting having the story out there about going to PWC and didn't want to comment on it.

22. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
  23. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
    I've been attending for the last 10 straight years and it never disappoints. :)

24. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005