2019 Indy Car | Page 5 | FerrariChat

2019 Indy Car

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by BartonWorkman, Mar 11, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    #101 BartonWorkman, May 12, 2019
    Last edited: May 12, 2019
    Yes, because most people have the attention span of moths these days.

And, while Indy Car is running spec Dallara chassis, there are two engine manufactures with a couple
    more taking a peek in for the future.

F-1 wishes it could put a product on the track as good as Indy Car where virtually the entire field has
    a chance of winning as we saw yesterday with Pagenaud's outstanding drive.

And, say what you will, the Indy Car teams are happy because they've got stable rules, their cost
    containment is in check (unlike F-1 or even NASCAR), just ask Penske and Ganassi what they
    think of Indy Car's business model versus NASCAR's these days.

https://us.motorsport.com/nascar-cup/news/penske-gen7-indycar-cost-control/4364926/

BHW

2. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    It's not the first time. I think that in 1960 every car in the Indy 500 was either an Offy-powered Watson roadster or a close copy of one. Then Jack Brabham showed up a year later with a Cooper-Climax...

3. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    It's interesting, those whom long for the days at Indy when guys would bring their garage projects
    to the Speedway and contest one of the most important races in the world conveniently forgetting
    that losing 3-4 drivers per year occurred regularly putting racing in the headlines for all the wrong
    reasons.

Read Chris Economacki's book "Let 'Em All Go!" for a look back at the happy old days when the
    American Indy Car and Sprint Car series were losing drivers left and right, many incidents of which
    Economacki graphically described throughout the book.

Some of those incidents looked more like airliner crashes such were the out of control fires of burning
    racing fuel with thick plumes of black smoke billowing into the grandstands for the spectators to inhale
    and we saw these types of scenes right up practically through the early 80s.

Things have come a long ways since then of course when USAC had to pull their heads out of the sand
    and address the safety initiatives of CART. The tracks and cars are far safer (save for the fluke incident such
    as Justin Wilson's at Pocono) and while racing (especially oval racing with a three foot thick wall surrounding
    the circuits) will never be 100% safe but with car construction methods constantly improving and additions
    of Safer Barriers, incidents such as the type we became used to seeing as kids are a thing of the
    past, how else to explain how Dixon walked away from his aerial incident at Indy a couple of years
    ago with hardly a scratch?

Those of us paying attention have seen Indy Car turn the corner and re-emerging, taking its place as
    a premier form of open wheeled racing on the world stage. Spec racing? Yes, but as mentioned, this
    is keeping the costs under control to the point now where many are pointing to Indy Car as a model
    of how to go racing without costs into the hundreds of millions.

There are a lot of spec series around the world. Virtually every junior formula ladder series are spec
    these days and even the top touring car series, the DTM is a spec series with all cars utilizing the same
    chassis with participating manufacturer engines and bodywork being their only difference.

BHW

375+, Sharknose and Nortonious like this.
  4. Nortonious

Nortonious Formula 3

Sep 20, 2018
    TX
    ^^^this^^^

I love(d) F1 for the technical innovations by the constructors, but the increased developmental always runs the risk of allowing dominance by one team, especially with deep pockets.

As fans we want good racing. Sure, it's somewhat satisfying when your lifelong team dominates. But if the WCC or WDC are all wrapped up mid-season I submit that interest and viewership drops off, which is not ideal for that racing series longevity.

Regardless, as mentioned above IndyCar is very very good right now. It was a bright spot in an otherwise mundane F1 weekend.

Now if they could figure out how to go commercial-free and bring a few more fans to the races...

william likes this.
  5. RWatters

RWatters Formula 3

Feb 21, 2006
    Kansas
    The car has had reliability issues and now this:

Not been the best of starts for McLaren and Alonso.

6. Turbopanzer

Turbopanzer F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    Based upon that video......Fred pinched it in turn four. You don't go that low that early unless you enjoy the outcome Fred got. Fred needs to take the refresher course on driving the big oval!

lorenzobandini likes this.
  7. RWatters

RWatters Formula 3

Feb 21, 2006
    Kansas
    I know people struggled with getting the hang of the car last year and now Alonso picks the most difficult race to drive one in and with a team that's never set up the car before. Quite the undertaking!

Nembo1777 likes this.
  8. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    Do they still have a technical alliance with Andretti?

big hits, glad he’s ok and it sounds like they’re piecing a car back together for him.

9. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    You mean Dallara and Alonso. Painting a Dallara orange does not make it "a McLaren".

william and lorenzobandini like this.
  10. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Clearly the car understeered at the exit of Turn 3.

The team said that they'd been battling understeer all day, made an aero and rear damper change of dampers
    and sent him back out and still the car was understeering. So, they're still chasing the set-up.

BHW

11. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    It sounds like a number of people were having issues with drafting. Alonso's crash came with him drafting behind Rahal I believe.

12. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    big hit for Pato O'Ward

Bas likes this.
  13. RWatters

RWatters Formula 3

Feb 21, 2006
    Kansas
    Only alliance is with Carlin and that's to get engines if I remember correctly. Although I believe Carlin has some sort of partnership with Andretti but given the Honda portion of the deal I've assumed Andretti is being hands-off with them this time around.

Dallara chassis that McLaren assembled in house. Given that they're chasing constant electrical issues with the car I'd put that more on the team that built the car versus the chassis provider.

GuyIncognito likes this.
  14. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    So, McLaren screwed together a kit car. Got it!

Its a McLaren sponsored team -- not "McLaren".

15. RWatters

RWatters Formula 3

Feb 21, 2006
    Kansas
    McLaren bought the car, assembled the team, built the car at their headquarters, and are running the operations at Indy themselves. I'm not following you when you say they're only sponsoring the team.

16. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    That is how every Indy team operates. It's a spec series....

17. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby

No problem. It’s a Penske team. Not Penske car.

18. Terra

Terra F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2004
    Historically, Penske did construct its own chassis for CART and IndyCar. That is, until the decision was taken by IndyCar to mandate a spec Dallara chassis for everyone. Prior to the Chevrolet and Honda engine manufacturers being allowed to develop their own respective aero packages (which has now since morphed into a single aero package for all the teams), Penske used to design and produce their own bespoke aero package. And for decades, the Penske Damper unit in the UK has had an essential role in the team's success.

19. ryanro24

ryanro24 Karting

Aug 23, 2005
    NW Indiana
    He knows. He thinks he's being clever.

20. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Exactly. There used to be a time that Penske made its own F1 and Indy cars. Not anymore.

21. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Being clever about what? Its not a McLaren. Stop calling it a "McLaren". Its an orange Dallara.

The quicker people are honest about what is on the track the quicker people will understand this sham.

Being "clever" is calling a Dallara a "McLaren" because it has a logo on it.

I really would like to know if people here would do if Ferrari bought a Dallara, put in a Chevy engine (that is in name only also because Chevy has nothing to do with it), painted it red, stuck on a prancing horse, and called it "A Ferrari".

You think that would fly?

"Ferrari returns to Indy!"

22. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Are commentators referring to the car as "a McLaren" or "the McLaren"? I haven't noticed if they have, but that would be incorrect. I figure it is just "McLaren" as in the team when they talk about the car's performance. i.e. "McLaren (team) spins and hits the wall in practice."

23. Turbopanzer

Turbopanzer F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    The good folks at Indycar would like you believe that its a Ferrari. As for those of us with a little more intelligence....it ain't even close to being a Ferrari! As for the current rendition of the Fredmobile....Indycar wants you to believe that because its painted orange....its a McLaren. The good people here at Ferrari Chat know the difference ! It doesn't look anything like what Gordon Murray has drawn!

lorenzobandini likes this.
  24. #124 lorenzobandini, May 17, 2019
    Last edited: May 17, 2019
    Okay you two....you know I agree totally...however, (very important...'just rhetorical as I know the answer about the design), what are we to think of the 333SP, also the vast majority of which Dallaras??? ....that, as I recall, was never run by Ferrari itself.....???? Black sheep to me! :)
    Also an aside....do you mean when I watch NASCRAP I'm not seein' Fords, Chevies, and Toyotas??? And all this time I wuz t'inkin'..... :oops: Blasphemy!!!! :mad:

(Just stirrin' the pot :D)

Devilsolsi likes this.
  25. RWatters

RWatters Formula 3

Feb 21, 2006
    Kansas
    Let's recap what got us here:

"Not been the best of starts for McLaren and Alonso."

Nowhere in the statement was it implied that the car was an in house design job from McLaren. It was implied that it wasn't the best of starts for the team and for the driver. From here you took it upon yourself to remind everyone, yet again, that IndyCar is a spec series which you've said probably 17,000 times between all of the Indy threads now. That dead horse is nothing but pulp now, bub.

You must be a ****ing riot at parties.