2019 Indy 500 | Page 6 | FerrariChat

2019 Indy 500

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by lorenzobandini, May 24, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. nickp91

nickp91 Rookie

Mar 25, 2018
    Full Name:
    nickp
    NBC has reinvigorated the Indy 500 after years of Cheever and Goodyear

Isobel and 375+ like this.
  2. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    I find Diffey annoying but The Cheever/Goodyear show was a snooze. This was a helluva race.

Isobel and Nortonious like this.
  3. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    It seems that during this Indycar season, and during the month of May, he has behaved himself quite well and driven very well, so maybe he learned his lesson and/or is being coached well. I'm guessing he won the Rookie award yesterday?

375+ likes this.
  4. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    My only real complaint about the NBC coverage is that, during green flag periods, the commentary from the pit-lane booth was nearly drowned out by the cars. I'd suggest they consider making that an enclosed booth if they use it again next year.

Oh yes, and far too many commercial breaks, many not utilizing the "side-by-side" feature that should be mandatory, even during yellow-flag periods (when pit stops often occur that could affect the course of the race).

5. And turn away that revenue? 'Don't think so. Would be nice, but ain't happening.
    I've always missed the closed circuit viewings I caught in (non-mini back then) RKO theatres 1966-'69. No 'mercials and great coverage on the (real) big screen......

6. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    If there was any complaint, it would be the timing of the commercials. There were a couple of instances when
    there were some intense on-track fights going on and they cut away which kind of takes the air out of things.

And, yes, the same audio problems noticed since the start of the season at St. Petersburg. The on-track sound
    drowns out the commentary (even the guys in the booth). I've tried dialing it in better on my monitor but nothing
    seems to help, I think it's NBC's sound mix.

After 40+ years of ABC's lackadaisical Indy 500 coverage, NBC definitely reinvigorated the broadcast. They kept
    it light and fun whereas jackasses Goodyear and Cheever usually started bickering like a couple of old geezers
    five laps into the race, trying to one-up each other.

Townsend Bell and my old buddy Paul Tracy are great in their roles and the play well off each other. I hear Tracy
    is going to race with William Hubbell in the next Lamborghini Super Trofeo race at Watkins Glen.

BHW

Isobel, gt4me and G. Pepper like this.
  7. LBBP

LBBP Formula Junior

I'm not sure Tracy could be surgically installed into a Lambo. as fat as he's gotten.

lorenzobandini likes this.
  8. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #133 Nembo1777, May 28, 2019
    Last edited: May 28, 2019
    Simon"s victory speech at the big Monday night banquet: well spoken, a worthy winner and representative of the 500 in my humble opinion.
    The funny thing is Gil de Ferran was his mentor in many ways and he really thanks him well, anecdotally Gil was my teammate in British Formula Ford in 1988 -I beat him every time there was a full moon and no fuel in his tank;-)- so a little connection...Gil was very emotional when he called Simon on the phone Sunday night and who could blame him as after the Alonso nightmare disaster he was a part of...he then saw his pupil dominate for a fairy tale win, weird mix to digest for him...
    Simon also thanks Bourdais -who came right away after the race to his motorhome to congratulate him-very nicely for his help coming over to the USA and introducing him to the right people: class act, bravo Monsieur Pagenaud:)!

9. Turbopanzer

Turbopanzer F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    So that's one no for Jenny Craig?

:p

10. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    BigTex and Nembo1777 like this.
  11. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
  12. #137 lorenzobandini, Jun 11, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
    Pagenaud? Incredible? I don't think so. 'All due respect, but incredible? o_O

Now, on the other hand...Rogere? Absolutely. :)

Also: "This is an incredible machine," the president added, pointing to Pagenaud's neon green #22 Menards car." :eek:

Really? An "assembly line" Dallara? Incredible? Not. :rolleyes:
    'Haven't seen any pics, maybe to impress the Pres', they repainted an arse kickin' PC23?:p :D

GuyIncognito likes this.
  13. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    PC23 was a work of art

14. Heck with art.....'went like stink with that pushrod....errr...(sorry Tp, just for you)....stock block...."Mercedes" in the back. :)

GuyIncognito likes this.
  15. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Geez someone likes to pee on the cornflakes!

Its just a ceremony. And it was kinda nice. Seeing Roger there getting the praise he deserves for all he's done for racing and yet another Indy victory is a good thing.

Jack-the-lad likes this.
  16. Turbopanzer

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    The car was a slug. Without the Mercedes powerplant, the thing couldn't pull a whore off a toilet seat. Its failure to qualify in 95 proved how important the engine was. So that's one no for it beinga work of art.

Work of art....let's talk Chaparral 2K.

pilotoCS and lorenzobandini like this.
  17. Naaaahhhh.... 'Just not impressed by exaggerated praise at such ceremonies; they're overrated. ;)

At least we agree on Mssr Penske's. :)

18. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Honestly, if Roger were in any other sport he would be front page news for every victory. Seriously -- who but the great team owners in history have a better and more remarkable record of accomplishment.

If Indy car abandoned the spec racer mentality tomorrow, Roger would be there designing his own car from scratch once again.

Jack-the-lad likes this.
  19. #144 lorenzobandini, Jun 11, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
    Agreed. 'Was just stickin' with the Penske/non-kit car incredible theme ;)

(I thought it were 24s that didna make the field....)

20. Turbopanzer

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    No. Roger would be paying someone to design a car for him. Alan Jenkins and Nigel Bennett had a great deal to do with Roger's success. Same for all the great craftsmen who built these fine machines. Roger is an astute businessman. He is an excellent organizer and dedicated racer. But make no mistake, his success comes from others work. Without their efforts, there would not be the list of accomplishments. I think Mr Penske would agree.

21. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    +1

22. Would he? I'm not so sure. 'Would love to see it but he had quit whilst still doing CART. Things change.

23. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    10 poles and 12 wins in 16 races (all but one using the "standard" 2.65l engine) ain't exactly a slug.

The PC24 failed to qualify at Indy in 95 (yes I know it was based on the PC23)

Jack-the-lad likes this.
  24. Turbopanzer

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    Your a good man Charlie Brown! At least you know this. Its still a slug! :p:p:p

GuyIncognito likes this.
  25. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    To a layman, ANY IndyCar is an "incredible machine"!