2018/2019 Silly season | Page 23 | FerrariChat

2018/2019 Silly season

Discussion in 'F1' started by Igor Ound, Mar 14, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/140028/f1-2019-tests-show-tangible-overtaking-gains

Formula 1 sporting boss Ross Brawn says simulation work being carried out to assess the technical changes being made for 2019 is showing "tangible" effects that should improve the racing.

Ahead of a much bigger overhaul of the cars that is planned for 2021, smaller changes are being made for next year, focused on key areas including the front and rear wings, brake ducts and bargeboards - illustrated in the above image by Autosport Media UK's Emma Wright.

The hope is that simplifying the aerodynamic profile of certain parts of the car will make it easier for drivers to follow closely in battle.

"Once again we saw in Brazil that when the performance level of two cars are more or less the same, then overtaking is almost impossible," said Brawn.

"That raises the question as to how to make it easier to make a move on the car in front.

"During 2018, we have made significant progress in defining next year's technical regulations, especially regarding the key area that is the front wing and in the last few weeks, we have worked out the fine details.

"Our simulation work and from what the teams, with which we have worked closely on this, tell us [is that] the effects are tangible, even though we are well aware that the real proof will only come next March in the Australian Grand Prix."

Brawn was keen to point out that the upcoming changes are just the beginning of the process, even though expectations that the on-track spectacle will improve next year are continuing to build.

"The changes introduced are a first important step, but not necessarily an exhaustive one, towards defining the new technical and sporting regulations that will shap the long-term future of Formula 1," he said.

"It's a foretaste of what we are defining for 2021 and we are pleased with what we have already achieved for 2019, but clearly we have high hopes, even in the short term.

"This year, Formula 1 produced some really exciting racing, I'm thinking immediately of Baku, Shanghai, Silverstone and Mexico City and there is every sign that there will be more of the same next year."

2. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    [Sportbild] About the rule changes for 2019:

Paddy Lowe: "The changes have bigger impacts than the introduction of the hybrid engines (2014) and the bigger cars in 2017."

The situation is comparable to 2009:
    Lowe: "The big teams like Mclaren and Ferrari fell down and Red Bull and Brawn dominated." Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Coulthard: "It could really become closer and more exciting. The designers can hardly rely on the basic data of 2018. Basically they have to build completely new cars. And in the first year of new rules, the cars made by Newey are the best."

Helmut Marko: "I‘m convinced that we will get involved at the front. We were always strong when there were big changes in the chassis area. Our data says that Honda will only be 13hp behind Mercedes/Ferrari in 2019."

Bernie Ecclestone does not believe the 2019 rule changes will stop the Mercedes dominance
    "I still bet my money on Mercedes. Money always decides the championship and Mercedes has by far the most of it."

"In addition: Meanwhile Ferrari is going back to their Italian roots, which leads to weird mistakes and performance imbalances. On the other hand Mercedes has a thoroughly German working method which is close to perfection."

3. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
  4. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

I agree with Bernie on that point. Money talks, and overcomes technical problems.

I just don't know how long Mercedes will play the game.

5. DF1

[
    The 2020 - 2021 situation will be key for the top 3. I think Red Bull would leave before Mercedes.

william and F2003-GA like this.
  6. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    I was born in India it is poor and rich at the same time - Lewis probably meant there's extreme poverty in many places
    "poor" is a wrong choice of words He's also wrong in assuming there's very little F1 fan base But there are millions
    who watch F1 in India and a lot of Lewis fans So he really messed up in undermining the India GP

fil, stavura, Nortonious and 3 others like this.
  7. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Also, did he not think his employer also sells Mercedes vehicles in India and the ramifications??? I'm sure Mercedes will have a talk to him about this.

Also, BBC is the one that put this out there. Maybe he'll think twice about giving his view of other countries economic status.

8. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    Lewis said something stupid? I am shocked, how could that happen, certainly never happened before :rolleyes:
    In another thread it is said that Lewis would be a no brainer if available, I think ever without being available he is one ;)

fil and daytona355 like this.
  9. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

How Honda performs will decide if Red Bull stays in F1, IMO.
    The boss, Dieter Matchechitz, has already threatened to quit if the team couldn't get his hands on a winning engine.
    But that could be an excuse to bow out; after all, Red Bull is a sponsor before being a racing team.

10. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    I wish they would go away especially Marko
    and Newy goes to Ferrari :p

daytona355 likes this.
  11. DF1

Ferrari are a planning management changes for the 2019 season, with Robert Smedley set to return. (Wheels24)

12. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    We live in hope! The driver line up for 2019 is fine. Defintely good enough to get the job done. But with Arriva-badly still running the show we may as well prepare to be disappointed...

william likes this.
  13. DF1

+1 -- I wish I could be more positive. I just cannot given the last 2 yrs with the current management structure.

william likes this.
  14. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    I hope the Red Bull Honda does very, very well. I do, of course, hope Ferrari does best.

15. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Well, I am of the completely opposite opinion, I have to say.

I hope that after years of badmouthing their engine partner Renault, Red Bull meet problems with their Honda engines just like McLaren did.

It's about time Mateschitz, Marko and Horner eat some crow for all their arrogance, and realise what means partnership.

On top of that they seem to have put all their weight behind "problem child" Verstappen, so I wish them hard luck !!!

F2003-GA and Nortonious like this.
  16. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
  17. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    ... because those are the best fans...#blessed

Gesendet von meinem SM-G930F mit Tapatalk

stavura likes this.
  18. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    What the hell will Smedley bring to the team? Never been impressed with him.

19. DF1

A good question for sure.

20. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    Well, he used to do a good job of telling Ferrari’s number 2 driver (Massa) that he’s rubbish and needs to move out of the way for the number 1 driver (Alonso). Apart from that, can’t say he did much of note...

21. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

The way F1 keeps recycling ageing staff, engineers, technicians and drivers never stops to amaze me.

22. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    There's also a Porsche LMP1 engineer who want's to make an entrance in F1 but guess what???? Nobody's hiring and all the vacancies are full....at the moment.

I'm still waiting to see IF Ferrari makes some management changes and IF they hire Rob.

23. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

I had a dream that maybe Porsche would enter F1 in 2021 with the new formula, but they don't seem interested.

I envisaged them purely as engine suppliers, like Honda does..

That would have reshuffled the cards a little bit, but that dream won't come true.

With Audi and Porsche closing their WEC teams, there are a lot of engineers with hybrid experience on the market.

jgonzalesm6 likes this.
  24. DF1

The rumour here is Sauber for the Porsche lead LMP Manager Seidl. Former BMW F1 experienced

william and jgonzalesm6 like this.
  25. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Yep, that's what I read as well.