2017 rules / changes | Page 9 | FerrariChat

2017 rules / changes

Discussion in 'F1' started by DF1, Aug 12, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
  2. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Im up for 5x increases!! :)

3. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    NOVEMBER 7, 2016

FIA rejects push for more gravel traps

The FIA has reportedly rejected calls for asphalt and grass run-off areas to be replaced with gravel.

In Mexico, only Max Verstappen was penalised for cutting the first corner, even though championship chaser Lewis Hamilton did the same thing.

The ensuing debate was actually timely, given Bernie Ecclestone's contentious argument that track limits should in fact be defined by 'walls'.

Former F1 driver Juan Pablo Montoya has another idea.

"Put in gravel traps and all the debates stop," the Colombian told Germany's Auto Motor und Sport.

Daniel Ricciardo thinks that's a great idea.

"I'm a fan of gravel, because it punishes you. If you don't get stuck, you have rocks on the tyres and in the sidepods, so you're not getting an advantage."

But the German publication claims more gravel is unlikely, mainly because of F1's tyre supplier.

"Pirelli is already complaining that there are too many stones around that damage the tyres," an FIA source is quoted as saying. "With gravel this would be even worse."

4. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    I think Trump should join the FIA, their level of stupidity is not enough!!!

5. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    I expected that. Far too sensible.

6. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Compromise: Use tarmac run-offs, but ring the track with a gravel moat so that to get to the run-off you have to drive through the gravel. Cars won't get stuck, but it clearly won't be a faster line to miss corners.

All the best,
    Andrew.

7. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel

A gravel moat is a sensible solution.

Stones, dust stuck into the tires will slow the cars down in the run-off area.

8. itschris

itschris Formula 3

Sep 15, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Guys... there won't be any solution. We've all watched this circus. Nothing sensible gets done quickly nor correctly in F1. Think about it... the rules forced the teams to pretty much stay in the position they were from the outset... the solution? Let's mess up qually... the one thing in F1 that's actually somewhat exciting.

There are very simple solutions to many of the problems but they are never implemented. They are regulating out the completion and even the drivers racing. They are swift to implement rules to stop any excitement that actually takes place on the track. What's next... penalties for tailgating? I mean every race you see some top driver languishing in the back because of a gearbox change. How stupid is that? Fans want to see the to drivers racing. The problem now... you can't trail and pass because you wreck your tires... the solution? More downforce. Okay... that makes sense. I don't believe the mechanical grip is going to compensate. We're still going to have everyone running 2 seconds behind the guys in front.

Fix the runoffs that pretty much everyone agrees are ridiculous? Not in the next several years if ever.

9. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I think in this day and age what is needed is a hi tech solution. so i'm all for the large pavement areas for run off, and I think we need more "nerf" obsticals to keep drivers from short cutting the track and gaining an advantage... but realistically I think what needs to be implemented is a series of graduated strips of magnetic material ... that can be pasted down and once the car goes over them, sensors on the bottom of the car read the magnetic intensity and simply cuts the ignition - delivering a instant penalty to the driver. Voila = you can use all the surface you like but you will pay a huge penalty.

I'd still put in the "nerf" obsticals - as they will be good for advertising... but if you it one at 100MPH - it would just be bits of foam... and not dangerous, more of a visual barrier.

or perhaps they use Lasers or something that determines how far off track you are, and instantly cuts power to the car. if you are involved in an accident - it shuts off the fuel etc.. at the farthest part to keep the driver safe. applies brakes etc.... the technology is out there, its time the FIA - and FOM use it and invest in that vs. Halos etc....

10. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    No need to do anything to the tracks. Just apply a mandatory 5 second penalty for exceeding track limits. Simples. Repeat the offence? That's another 5 seconds etc etc.

11. maulaf

maulaf Formula 3

Feb 24, 2011
    Cape Town
    meh... that's what we need less: have penalties and steward decisions affect racing.
    Only way to get away from that is a natural, direct penalty to the offense, making the offense itself undesirable in the first place.

12. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    But this would also affect those who were run off the track...Imagine gravel in turn one last race: Max ran Nico off the track and it would have been Nico dealing with the gravel loosing not only position against the one that pushed him off the track (could be corrected by a penalty for Max later) but also against the ones following...
    It does make a difference whether you are leaving the track because you do a mistake or someone other. Penalties are OK, but they must be applied immediatly (drive through) so that the spectators see who is leading without adding x seconds...

13. maulaf

maulaf Formula 3

Feb 24, 2011
    Cape Town
    I am fine with that. This will change dynamics a bit, won't it. You won't be able to further rely on your opponent to be 'soft' and just disappear if you go in hard.
    For instance Massa vs Alonso at cota would be an example. I think you paint a consequence that is a natural part of motor racing to me, no problem there.

14. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I have been following F1 off and on since the '60s (more off than on). The original idea as I recall was F1 and Indy were supposed to be the ultimate in technology. Can anyone say, "Andy Granatelli?" If you could dream it, you could run it. Somewhere along the line, F1 (and Indy) evolved into spec racing. Maybe the cars got too powerful, or too good, or too expensive.

If you're going to stick with the spec route, Impdesigner's thoughts, which are somewhere around here, but I can't' find them, sound pretty good. Harder tires, less downforce, and so on would make for exciting racing. A racing instructor once told me F1 has better driving, but NASCAR has better racing.

But, it might be cool, to say, "Have at it, boys." You can run what you brung. No tire restrictions, no wing restrictions (hey, how about a robot arm that can reach out and tear off a wing), no fuel, and so forth and so on. I doubt it would be boring.

15. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Wass da matter with youse guys? I thought F1 was supposed to be the biggest and baddest part of FChat. Theys got nuthin on youse guys in P&R, right? So whuts happening? How come nobody wants to fight? Okay, here goes: F1 sucks. NASCAR rules.

16. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    I don't see how F1 is spec racing...??

17. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Same type of engines, same tires, same aero, same electronics, do I need to go on? If a team wants to run a V12, why can't they?

18. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    NOVEMBER 9, 2016

Mercedes committed only until 2020 says Wolff

Toto Wolff says Mercedes' is only committed to formula one until 2020.

The German marque has swept up every title since the 'power unit' began in 2014.

Mercedes co-owner and boss Wolff told La Gazzetta dello Sport: "Mercedes decided in 2009 to compete not only as an engine supplier but also with its own team in formula one.

"We have committed ourselves until 2020, but what happens then is unclear. In my opinion, we will stay in formula one if the sport develops in a positive way," the Austrian added.

Mercedes' commitment, as well as the other top teams, is in the form of bi-lateral contractual agreements with the Bernie Ecclestone-led commercial rights holder.

Those rights are in the process of being taken over by Liberty Media.

Wolff's contract with Mercedes, as well as that of team chairman Niki Lauda, are currently in the process of being renegotiated.

"I came to formula one as an investor with Williams," said the 44-year-old. "In 2012 I got this role at Mercedes. It's now 2016.

"I will not stay in formula one forever, let's say a few more years. As long as I am having fun at work.

"The situation is that I love what I do and I want to work with the same people with whom we have achieved such fabulous results," Wolff explained. "At the moment, I am negotiating for another two years.

"My work today is extremely intense and involves a great emotional commitment. When I'm no longer enjoying it, it's time to do something else."

19. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    You guys are a bunch of punks. I was told F1 was the meanest, baddest section on Ferrari Chat, but that's a lie. I kicked the ant hill a couple of times and nuthin happened. Maybe everyone is watching NASCAR reruns.

20. Kiwi Nick

Kiwi Nick Formula 3

Jun 13, 2014
    Durango, CO
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    The rule makers and enforcers will never allow gravel or any other course feature to decide what penalty will result from an off-course trip. That's their job. If they can't make and enforce the rules, there is no reason for them to exist.

21. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    NOVEMBER 15, 2016

Ecclestone cool on internet streaming idea

Bernie Ecclestone has given a cool reception to some of Liberty Media's apparent plans for the future of F1.

One rumoured change is that the sport will move into the realm of internet streaming, even though the commercial success of F1 was built on the F1 supremo's insistence that exclusive TV rights be sold to broadcasters.

When asked about that, Ecclestone told Brazil's Globo: "I have no idea how they can do both. If I had known how, I would have done it."

Ecclestone, 86, admitted that Liberty's methods seem almost diametrically opposed to the way that predecessor CVC ran F1.

"Absolutely. The way the Americans do business is very different to what we do in Europe," he said.

Currently, F1 is in uncertain times, with the Liberty deal not yet complete and Ecclestone apparently resisting the changeover.

He said: "If they buy the rest of the company, they can do what they want, although the regulations also involve the FIA."

Ecclestone remains a highly controversial figure, even supporting the recent election of Donald Trump in the US.

"Trump's election is the best thing that could have happened to the world," he insists.

"I have met him a few times and, believe me, it will be better for the world."

He is less sure about F1's next move to faster and more aggressive cars for 2017.

"We need to wait for the tests to see how the cars are," said Ecclestone. "But one thing will not change: I'm sure Mercedes will continue to dominate F1."

22. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Is it ok to tear up when you realize this may be the end of ugly F1 cars....?

23. Kiwi Nick

Kiwi Nick Formula 3

Jun 13, 2014
    Durango, CO
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    This looks pretty nice. But, I'd like to see three changes.
    1) No little winglets, like that row of little things on top of the side pods. Designers need to get the aero right without the aid of these little bandaids
    2) Single element front wings. Two elements ar most. Same as above. Get airflow right without lots of elements.
    3) The floor cannot extend beyond a line running vertically from the outer edge of the body. These floors that stick out make it look like the car is sitting on a cracker.

I like the wider tires and lower, wider rear spoiler.

24. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

I had many of the same thoughts about the floor and wings.......