2017 rules / changes | Page 8 | FerrariChat

2017 rules / changes

Discussion in 'F1' started by DF1, Aug 12, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Probably. But I'm holding out hope that some exceptional drivers will make them dance.

I think the accidents will be spectacular. I hope no one is hurt.

I'm all for more mechanical grip, but the added aero is the issue as we have all discussed at length.

2. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ha!

I have a diecast 412 sitting next to an s15t on my desk. The difference in tires is just like what is shown here.

3. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
  4. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    If the cars look too easy to drive, there is no show.

Even with a dominating team, there would be spectacle if the cars were a handful, difficult to control and slipping and sliding all over the place. It would be nice to see the drivers actually struggling with too much power to handle. I don't mind if a driver is 10s ahead of the firld, if watching him is spectacular; presently, it's not, and the next rules will make it increasingly boring.

Grip and aero are killing the sport; they make F1 look mundane and with no drama.
    What was needed was narrower tyres, of harder compound, and less, lots less aero, to make the cars twitchy, unstable and reduce cornering speeds.

The FIA and the Strategy Group making decisions, are going the wrong way in my opinion, and turning spectators off.
    The attraction of rallying is that the cars are powerful, but difficult to handle and providing a show.

5. Kiwi Nick

Kiwi Nick Formula 3

Jun 13, 2014
    Durango, CO
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I hate all the aero bits...period. A simple single plane wing front and rear should be enough. No barge boards, flip-ups, winglets etc.

I like fat tires. But what if there was just one tire for the whole season, maybe like the current medium. It might be too hard for some tracks and too soft for others. It would be up to the drivers and teams to cope with getting the optimum performance out of the tire at the track of the day. If that means that the car appears to be on rails at one track and on ice at another that would be great. Some tracks may require 2-3 tire changes, some no changes at all. Teams would be able to optimize their cars for that tire with tweaks from track to track.

As for the appearance of "control" adding excitement to the races, love them or hate them, NASCAR is really exciting at Sonoma or the Glen because they appear to be on the very verge of control.

6. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Anyone that thinks noise doesn't matter is quite frankly, an idiot. The noise is an integral part of the sensory experience of seeing auto racing live. When I used to tell non F1 following friends about the sport, the first thing I talked about was the noise.

It's why people cheer at a flyover overhead or a rock concert. Noise is everything

If they did what you're saying they would be slower than WEC and GP2. Totally the WRONG way to go.

7. itschris

itschris Formula 3

Sep 15, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Looking at those tires... I'm wondering if/how pit stops are going to be affected. Clearly those rear tires are a handful. If not really the weight, certainly just the size will make swapping those a bigger deal I think.

8. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    good point. they look huge, but were probably just used to seeing these horrible narrow little things that have been on the cars since 2010

9. itschris

itschris Formula 3

Sep 15, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I'm thinking there's gonna be a few fumbles along the way. I can't imagine there's not going to be drops, bumps, etc. Pit stops could get interesting. Also, being that the cars are wider and the tires are certainly wider, I'm thinking Turn 1 and Turn 2 could get very interesting. I think it'll take a bit for the drivers to get a sense of the space their car really needs. there seems to be a lot more room for wheels inside of wheels type stuff.

10. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    #185 Bas, Sep 7, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2016
    I think they weigh max 4kg more all in, so shouldn't be a big issue in swapping them. As for space...just a case of repositioning IMO.

11. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    +1

12. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I get what you're saying, but I don't actually bellieve that is because the current cars are "easy". I just think the spec, coupled with the tires leads to driving the cars at 90% or so a lot of the time, because driving them at 100% is not actually the best strategy over a race. I think you can certainly affect that with the tire compound and upcoming changes.

But I'm all for giving them insane power and seeing who can actually put it down - 1200-1500HP. Do it!

Yes and no I think. Indycar has just as much aero available and the cars can still be a handful. They aren't as advanced clearly, and a totally different tire, but the raw performance is not that far off. Perhaps that is because, given a very close spec, everyone must push harder? No one is really all that faster than the other. Speculating of course. There are also fuel saving strategies in Indycar which work to place well, so I don't think there is anyway to force all out racing unless you make it a true sprint race or maybe a 1 stopper.

The other thing that will be interesting to see is how much extra aero they actually use - in qualy, in the race. I mean huge aero is great, but it kills you on the straights and wears the tires, so there has to be a practical limit to what can be achieved. Unfortunately, the power steering will let them crank it super high if desired.

I'm all for a cap on aero and more mechanical grip. I think you also need to nail the tires so that maybe there could just be 1 stop a race. I have to think that would cause everyone to push harder and the limited aero would achieve the lively handling fans desire.

13. F1Nova

F1Nova Karting

Nov 29, 2012
    Aitutaki
    Is the fuel limit going to be increased for 2017? If not, then they can
    put any tires on they want..its not really going to change much of anything
    with the way they have to conserve fuel during a race. 1200 HP..sure, but
    how much of the race can they actually use it?

14. ypsilon

ypsilon F1 Rookie

May 4, 2008
    the Netherlands
    Pirelli makes the tyres such that they degrade to a certain life span, at any power level.

Depends on the track as well, some tracks they don't have fuel shortage.

15. Kiwi Nick

Kiwi Nick Formula 3

Jun 13, 2014
    Durango, CO
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Excellent point. There is no substitute for HP. But, if you don't have the fuel to generate full power the HP numbers are not real. Yet another false impression.

16. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    I completely agree. This has been a concern of mine for quite some time. A while ago there was talk of adding a third level of fuel at around 14k rpm in the name of getting the engines to rev higher as with the current final fuel tier which comes in around 11.5k, there is no point to rev beyond about 12k, so they don't. That talk seemed to go silent with Mercedes having a special qualifying mode with an output conjectured to be around 960bhp.

I suspect what we will see happen is the fuel allocation will be raised a very small amount. There will be three major tiers rather than I believe the current two, and the rpm for that final fuel allocation will be raised to 14k rpm meaning turbo boost control will be a major factor so the mix is not too lean at that high rpm where more air is obviously flowing.

17. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    SEPTEMBER 28, 2016

Teams agree rule changes for 2017

F1 teams and the FIA have agreed a swathe of rule changes to be sent to the decision-making strategy group for approval.

That is the claim of Germany's Auto Motor und Sport, revealing that the 2017 changes relate to tyre choice, safety car race starts and the end of a multiple engine change loophole.

Another change is designed to address the issue of 'unsafe release' from pitstops, with a light to now show a driver if the pitlane is safe.

But the biggest change is the closing of a loophole that allowed drivers to amass huge penalties whilst stockpiling engines under the current long-life rules.

From 2017, only the last engine change can be used subsequently, which would render the 'stockpiled' engines useless.

Another significant change is that Pirelli will mandate tyre compound selections in the opening 5 races of next year, to ensure teams do not choose too many softs.

Teams have also agreed that races should start from the grid after early safety car periods for rain, correspondent Michael Schmidt wrote.

18. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I did not realize they had discussed upping the rev limit - that would be awesome.

Trying to race cars with no fuel in them. Sweet.

19. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
  20. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Hmmm... that's interesting.

It leaves them a bit of wiggle room if/when tires start exploding again. Or is that too cynical?

All the best,
    Andrew.

21. furmano

furmano Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    Looks like the FIA is still not getting what the problem is. Too bad.

-F

22. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Pssst - I would believe that.

But I would also believe that the mules might be light on downforce since they aren't fully developed. However, you would think there would be a brute force way to get more downforce in the car...if only for testing. Bring back front and rear high wings ; )