2017 rules / changes | Page 18 | FerrariChat

2017 rules / changes

Discussion in 'F1' started by DF1, Aug 12, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

I live in UK and I am the same.

I used to watch F1 on BBC when it was free, then on ITV still free but with adverts.

But I will not pay to watch it live on a Pay-Channel, SKY or other. I just don't think it's good value for money.

When F1 will completely disappear from free TV in UK, even the highlights broadcasted later, then I won't bother to subscribe to anything. I will keep following F1 in the press, on the internet, etc...

I thought that Ecclestone would be loosing some F1 audience when he started selling TV rights to Pay Channels, but it looks like Liberty may put the final nail in the coffin.

Commercial interests are increasingly ruling F1, to the point where long time enthusiasts loose interest.

2. maulaf

maulaf Formula 3

Feb 24, 2011
    Cape Town
    I share that sentiment. I used to go to a pub to watch the race. The owners and me got along well so he always killed whatever was on and put F1 on full volume.
    Nowadays I stream online via Supersport. If someone purchases a subscription it comes with several accounts for simultaneous live-streaming. So, again, you just got to know someone and now I can stream Sky F1 in HD legally for free. Most excellent.

The Moustache guy and his folks do all that talking about getting media and internet more involved. Perhaps there is hope for the future to catch up with F1 some day.

3. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
  4. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
  5. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    It's always been on cable in the USA. With advertising. So, you're paying for the service and then are forced to watch the drivel that is the commercial "messages".

6. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel

But not for Hockenheim.

MAY 10, 2017

Hockenheim admits German GP future not safe

Hockenheim boss Georg Seiler admits the future of the German grand prix is not secure beyond next year.

Amid the Nurburgring's troubles, the country is not on the calendar this year, but Hockenheim is at least scheduled to host the race in 2018.

But Seiler told the German news agency DPA: "We will not conclude a contract for the future that involves any risks."

He is referring to the fact that the existing contract, an alternating scheme devised by Bernie Ecclestone, has nonetheless put financial strain on Hockenheim.

"From an economic point of view, we had to accept losses through formula one, which had a significant impact on our results in recent years.

"We also do not get a single euro of subsidy from the region, country, federation or anyone else, unlike just about every other race track," said Seiler.

So when asked if there will be a German grand prix in the future, he answered: "For me it's clear. We have a contract for next year, but after that not.

"If we follow the previous rule, 2019 it would be the Nurburgring's turn and us in 2020 again. But only if the contract fits.

"If the basic conditions do not change, the future of formula one in Germany is certainly at risk," Seiler added.

"If we can at least break even, that would be alright. But if there is no more formula one, then so be it. However I hope and firmly believe that the new (F1) owners have an interest in having a German grand prix.

"Germany is an important market for formula one, no matter what circuit it takes place at," he said.

7. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    MAY 28, 2017

Pirelli agrees to drop hardest tyre compounds

Pirelli has confirmed reports it will drop the hardest tyre compounds from its selection for July's British grand prix.

Following recent controversy, the drivers lobbied F1's official supplier to drop the hard compounds for Silverstone.

Pirelli has agreed.

"This is an experiment," the Italian marque's F1 chief Mario Isola told Auto Motor und Sport.

"We are being quite aggressive so I cannot say whether we will continue like that in the second half of the season. We will have to wait for the results," he said.

But many teams and drivers think Pirelli's 2017 tyres are too conservative across the range, especially at Monaco where even the soft tyres are too 'hard'.

"Actually we need a special, extremely soft tyre for here," Isola admitted. "Here, even on the ultrasoft tyres you could do a complete race distance without any significant wear.

"It would not be a problem to develop such a tyre, but unfortunately we have no way to test them. Taking it to Barcelona would be quite pointless," he said.