2017 rules / changes | Page 12 | FerrariChat

2017 rules / changes

Discussion in 'F1' started by DF1, Aug 12, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    +1

Bring back Maldonado too; he will get a pass now.

2. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    In the (paraphrased) words of Nelson Piquet, "Just go punch the guy if you think he screwed up".

The first statement is idiotic. Why on earth would you decline to investigate an incident. It should not always result in a penalty, but why not at least look at it to ensure someone is not at fault? What would the reasoning be with disregarding an incident?

I agree with the second rule - which guides stewards to realize that someone is not always at fault.

3. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    #278 jgonzalesm6, Jan 26, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  4. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    okay....I just went on Vettels twitter page and there is nothing...plus from the time on the "fake" twitter page it says 3M which is 3 months ago plus the avatar is Vettel but the current one is different....sorry people....someone sent it to my hotmail account.

5. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Not true, though it would've been a wonderful gesture, especially considering how Bianchi was in their programme.

For those struggling to make the connection, or why last years car wasn't named in his honor, Jules drove with #17...

6. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    JANUARY 30, 2017

Vettel welcomes driver penalty rule tweak

Sebastian Vettel has welcomed news that less driver penalties will be handed out in 2017.

A rule tweak means that stewards no longer have to investigate incidents identified by Charlie Whiting, while only drivers "wholly or predominantly to blame" for incidents can be punished.

Ferrari driver Vettel told the German newspaper Bild am Sonntag: "Wheel to wheel racing is always welcome, as people want to see duels.

"Racing should be the focus," he added.

7. ypsilon

ypsilon F1 Rookie

May 4, 2008
    the Netherlands
    "Honestly ?" "Seriously ?"

https://www.reddit.com/r/formula1/comments/5adpjf/honestly_vettel/

;) obviously.

8. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Ya ok Vettel. Last year he just became annoying to me. I dont really care what he thinks at all. His lack of professional demeanor and juvenile radio outbursts. Shut up and drive is what he should be working on.

9. DF1

10. Kiwi Nick

Kiwi Nick Formula 3

Jun 13, 2014
    Durango, CO
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    One simple way to increase overtaking and reduce costs is to go to ferrous brake discs.

Increased tire width/grip, increased downforce, and stronger brakes shorten the braking zone. Once the braking zone is short enough, there is no possibility to overtake under braking. Couple that with reduced overtaking on the straights, and you have races that are decided in Q3 or by a pit crew mistake. Soon, all you will need to watch is qualifying and the post-race highlights, if there are any.

11. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
  12. DF1

:)

13. Kiwi Nick

Kiwi Nick Formula 3

Jun 13, 2014
    Durango, CO
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I just watched a video interview of a fellow who is responsible for the cars that are quite likely to be at the front, say that because areo downforce has been increased, they will be spending more time on figuring out how to spoil the air for following cars.

So when you wish for more downforce be careful...you might not get what you want.

14. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Sounds like a reason to eliminate the 'blue' flags.

15. Kiwi Nick

Kiwi Nick Formula 3

Jun 13, 2014
    Durango, CO
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I would much rather have advances in development take place via "loophole" as opposed to the boardroom.

A formula with an open architecture, one with massive loopholes, spurs creativity. Eliminating loopholes eventually evolves into a spec series. So, close the loopholes, and the only difference you are looking for is the color of the livery.

16. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    FEBRUARY 2, 2017

Drivers vote against Halo for 2018?

'Halo' could be put on the back burner for yet another year.

Earlier, the FIA looked to debut the controversial head protection system in 2017, but agreed to delay it for a year following a lack of consensus.

Now, the German publication Auto Motor und Sport reports that Halo might not even arrive in 2018.

That is because F1's governing body surveyed the drivers to gauge their opinions, and as of 1 February, a "narrow majority" had rejected the system.

Auto Motor und Sport said the FIA received 16 answers from drivers, with 7 voting against it, 5 for it, and 4 abstaining.

"The FIA is continuing to research alternatives," correspondent Michael Schmidt said.

At the Spobis sport business congress in Dusseldorf, reigning world champion Nico Rosberg said F1 must continue its pursuit of safety.

"It's impressive how much we've improved over the past years," said the German. "But unfortunately, two years ago we lost a colleague which was a severe setback for our sport.

"That's why we must still try to make it better."

And FIA president Jean Todt added: "I would say that formula one is currently the safety category in motor sport. But there can always be small improvements."

17. DF1

+1

18. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    FEBRUARY 3, 2017

Heavier 2017 cars will still be faster

Although the weight of the cars is rising yet again, the 2017 grid will still be considerably faster.

Speed Week, a German language publication, said the minimum weight trend in F1 has been creeping steadily up since the 70s when the cars weighed just over 500kg.

More recently it was just over 700kg, but for 2017 it emerges that the cars will have to weigh at least 728kg -- 6 kilograms heavier than earlier thought.

That is because the 2017 rules left open a late weight change to accommodate the much bigger and wider Pirelli tyres for the new, faster era.

But those worrying that the weight of the heftier cars could offset the predicted speed boost this year can relax, as the drivers in 2017 are still expected to stop the clocks 4-5 seconds per lap sooner.

"Some of 2016's 'corners' will be classified as 'straights'," predicted McLaren technical boss Tim Goss.

It means the drivers have been training hard in the off-season, bulking up some muscle, aerobic fitness and in particular thickening their necks.

"I'm really hoping that we'll be able to take turn three at Barcelona flat this year," said rookie Stoffel Vandoorne.

"I've still only driven it in the sim, but using our current predictions, it should be flat -- whether it actually will be, we'll have to wait and see," he added.

19. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    That's what I used to do when I drove stick in the "clarification" portion of the article. I would rev the engine and hold the brake and slowly release the clutch until it "bit" ....then when the light turned green....release and rev away at the same time. Besides, Elton was just slow off the grid due to lack of practice while Nico and especially Vettel where great off the grid due to finding the "bite-point." I realize these clutches and fly by wire systems are way more technically advanced and temperature plays alot into it....but still...you can tell who put in the time and who just did'nt....hence we will see in 2017.

20. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ehhh - how would they even know? Are they going to review all the car's data after the race and then penalize drivers that do this? It's still a manual process on the driver's part. What is the issue? They might stall? Well they might stall anyway if they screw up the launch without preloading...not sure what the issue is here or how you enforce this.

21. DF1

Only thing I can think of is the procedure could induce a 'bog down' leading to full stall easily?? etc. I doubt this article contains the purely technical details needed to understand the full issue. Your point makes sense.

22. DF1

23. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    FEBRUARY 9, 2017

Melbourne protest possible over F1 row?

An argument over clever and controversial suspension systems looks set to keep raging early in 2017.

Earlier, Ferrari called into question the legality of setups being run by Mercedes and Red Bull, which reportedly mimic the effects of active suspension or the similarly-banned 'Fric' innovation.

Auto Motor und Sport reports that on Tuesday, team technical bosses met and the Mercedes and Red Bull-like suspension systems were "at the top of the agenda".

"The other teams want to stall the technology," said correspondent Michael Schmidt.

However, the FIA initially reacted to Ferrari's complaint by confirming the legality of the top teams' designs.

And following Tuesday's meeting, the Spanish sports daily Marca says Mercedes and Red Bull continue to have the green light to run the controversial systems.

Schmidt said: "Now the engineers want the FIA to explain how the chassis are legal. It could lead to the threat of a protest in Melbourne against Mercedes and Red Bull."