2016 Mazda Miata | Page 7 | FerrariChat

2016 Mazda Miata

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Nurburgringer, Sep 3, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    I do not dislike the RF but I am not fond of it either. I wonder what the wind buffering is like and if that was taken into consideration or is it just a new design concept Mazda thinks is appealing? No fault of theirs for experimenting but RF sales numbers will decide how long it will stay in production.

I miss my '99 so much that I have started searching locally for another NB. Love the BMW but it is no Miata.

2. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    Still loving the ND and with spring sprung it's my go to car. The RF is nice looking but the extra mass up high and fact that my top goes all the way down makes me prefer what I have.

3. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    I believe that any Miata can be ones go to car if given the chance as they are still "shade tree mechanic" friendly and the smiles are never ending.

My former stepmother retired from Mazda after 30+yrs and she loved the Miata, kindred spirits we are.

4. Nurburgringer

Nurburgringer F1 World Champ

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    You own some legitimately fast cars don't you? How can you possible enjoy a slow poke like the Miata with it's anemic 6.something 0-60 time????

kidding - a big beef over in the Fiata thread is how these days a "sports car" needs to have a sub 5 second 0-60 time.

How many miles do you have on yours? Any issues?

Any mods done or planned?

5. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    About 3K miles, and have done a few track sessions. Car is flawless and a gem in so many ways. So usable, approachable, very neutral, in fact the most neutral street car I've ever driven (jury is out on ACR, which feels amazing but limits are a track only proposition). Wilwood calipers up front instead of $3400 Brembo package. Coil overs and sway bars later this month. The car is pretty soft for track work. I'm not going crazy with spring rates as I don't want to ruin it for the street. When the aftermarket matures I will probably go turbo. And I want to get some oil temp data to see if a cooler is warranted.

I had to turbo my Elise, too, as I just can't make do with under 200 hp even in a light car and have to say that 5 sec 0-60 or better is nice.

But the driving dynamics of a 2300 lb car is so refreshing. With about 250 hp this thing will be Goldilocks right.

6. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    Suspension mods done, with Flyin Miata sway bars and Stance coilover and 7 kg/mm F, 4 kg/mm rear rates (I dislike the use of mass as unit for spring rate, but it is all the rage for the Japanese cars). Car is lowered with 2.5 deg F and 2 deg rear.

A blast on track and runs Spec Miata track record pace at Motorsport Ranch with top down. Very neutral and so easy on consumables due to low weight. I will leave it as is for a while to see what the power adder options are and to get a feel if they will overwhelm the drivetrain and cooling system.

With the fine weather I completely dig this car.

7. Nurburgringer

Nurburgringer F1 World Champ

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    cool - any in car, on track video?