2016 Mazda Miata | Page 6 | FerrariChat

2016 Mazda Miata

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Nurburgringer, Sep 3, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nurburgringer

Nurburgringer F1 World Champ

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    Cool!
    What spec?
    When is the expected delivery?

2. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    #127 kverges, Aug 3, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2015
    Club spec and not sure on delivery. Since I race SM I get so-called S-Plan pricing (invoice) and on a lark went by the local dealer and damned if they did not agree to honor invoice on what is pretty hot right now. So I said WTF and ordered one. It is such a tidy little car and they actually took off nearly 200 lb from the last gen car, which was already light.

Agreed, I do not get why the 4C is so much heavier - it tells me that the Mazda engineers were serious about light weight and the Alfa engineers less so. The details on the Miata are really nice - for example, the top is a simple one-handed manual affair with a single latch and the front part is rigid, which reduces wind noise and allows it to serve as a tonneau when latched down. No complexity of hydraulics and switches and nannies. I can just put the top up or down at any speed I feel is prudent.

I get the impression it could be a matter of weeks, as there are so few available options that they seemed to have already had one coming. I guess I'll need a rainbow bumper sticker.

3. Nurburgringer

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    So your dealer has them in the showroom/lot already?
    I'm really curious about interior space. The previous gens had just a bit too little separation between the steering wheel and seatback for my long arms.

Sounds like (old) Alfa Spider type tops. Can also raise&lower them one-armed while sitting in the driver's seat.

Hopefully I fit in the new one. If so can really see getting one someday.

4. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    Yes, the dealer had a Launch Edition automatic on the floor, which as you might imagine was not very popular. There were no clubs available, but I got the impression several were on the way in very short order. I am in no rush, and need another car like a hole in the head, but I respect the light weight and engineering at this car so much, having raced SM for 15 years, that I decided it was time I actually bought something from Mazda

5. Nurburgringer

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    Ha, I bought a new Mazda5 van in 11 for similar reasons s: Any company trying to sell smallish, good handling, relatively lightweight vehicles with manual transmissions deserves respect and buyers. No question that Mazda cares about pure driving enjoyment (vs image) across their range more than any other Japanese or arguably any other manufacturer.
    Even if you sell your miata I'm sure you'll lose less than I did on the 5!
    Looking forward to your impressions.

6. ypsilon

ypsilon F1 Rookie

May 4, 2008
    the Netherlands

Probably depends on the market, Euro specs:

MX5/Miata vs. 4C

Empty weight 950 kg (1.5)/990 kg (2.0) vs. 895 kg

Length 3915 mm 3990 mm
    Width 1735 mm 1868 mm
    Height 1230 mm 1184 mm
    Wheelbase 2310 mm 2380 mm
    Track width front 1495 mm 1621 mm
    Track width rear 1505 mm 1601 mm

7. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    Too bad I am not in Europe. Mazda managed to make a world car that did not pork out by hundreds of pounds in the U.S. IMO the 4C is a pretty disappointing waste of carbon fiber in terms of overall vehicle weight. CF should be more than a pretty finish.

8. Nurburgringer

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    Did anyone figure out where all the extra weight on the 4c comes from? What is it, 250 lbs heavier? I know little things add up but what exactly is the difference?

9. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    #134 kverges, Aug 4, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2015
    I've read that the CF tub was "reinforced" with steel for side impact and other crash protection, and there may be other reinforcements for the front and rear for low speed impact, but 250 lbs is an awful lot of extra mass for the Federal market. The 4C is quite light in comparison to most cars, but for Mazda to get a convertible at a lower curb weight with all Federal safety standards satisfied and a fairly conventional unibody is saying something. Of course the Miata is much less powerful and has no DCT, but I look forward to the purity and simplicity of the manual transmission. And unlike the 4C I can actually order a Miata and the large numbers of Miatas means the aftermarket will be quite robust

10. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    What Keith said plus the euro weight was for strippers with no AC air in the tires or any fluids, in other words dry weight.

Add AC and fluids and 100+ lbs already taken care of. Then a nice interior and you are getting there, plus some usa safetey bits..

The CF did not lead to lighter weight but in theory still makes a really stiff tub, all the wonder then that instead of double wishbones they fitted struts.

The Miata is really impressive, Sat in one at the NY show, seemed to fit like a glove.

The Japanese are in some ways still purists, the Miata and FT86 theye refuse to add more hp.

If the aBarth/miata and 4c have the same motor it will be really inetresting to see how they compare.

11. Nurburgringer

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    The greatest driving car I've ever had the pleasure to pilot was an Opel Speedster (i.e. Elise with a rather industrial, but still gutsy GM 4-pot and different looks). "Purity and simplicity" indeed. I drove one 7 hours across Germany and right onto the Nordschleife, pounded it for over 30 laps over 2 days, then drove it back home to return to the dealer I'd rented it from. Repeated this routine 3 times and could have done more.
    No dual-clutch auto, no carbon tub, no turbo motor (thought the Turbo Speedster is magnificent), no fancy dashboard stitching, just driving bliss.
    I can see doing this with a new Miata, just arriving slightly less stiff and wind blown :)

But even with modern doo-dads and what has to be significantly better crash protection the Miata looks to be a spiritual cousin to the Speedster/VX220/Elise.

Yeah they big numbers and sip fuel at constant highway speeds but I'm just not into the small turbo motors. Give me a revvy overhead cam NA 4 even if it's down 50hp+ to a turbo. Slower sure, but less manic and easier to get into a rhythm and enjoy a smooth, brisk drive.

If Alfa had put a small V6 or tiny V8 in the 4C it would be something to truly lust after IMO.

12. ypsilon

ypsilon F1 Rookie

May 4, 2008
    the Netherlands
    Still makes a Miata about 50 kg's heavier than a Euro 4C despite a TcT gearbox for instance, and don't forget to adjust for the tiny dimensions of the Miata => cf does help.

And make a similar sum for a Lotus Elise and you will see that a Euro spec 4C is about as light (give or take 15kg) as the smaller, less well equipped and more spartan Elise, which is Euro only for some reason ;-). Lotus by the way "sells" the weight of their cars in similar 4C fashion (excl. ac, fluids, etc.)

13. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    I'd like to see any 4C on scales with fluids and fuel and the total under 2000 lb. I personally weighed my 2005 Federal Elise and it was 1938 with ~ 3/8 tank fuel. The Elise is no longer available in the US because it won't meet all Federal requirements, and the US versions that did come in had a special exemption from the 2.5 mph bumper requirement.

The Italians are notorious for optimistic weight specs. My Gallardo was over 3500 lb on scales. Just weighed a good friend's 458 Speciale - 3303 with full fuel.

I've never seen an independent source actually weigh a Euro-spec 4C. R&T weighed Federal cars and both came in at over 2400 lb. I personally wonder if the Federal add-ons are not as heavy as everyone thinks and perhaps the Euro car is a bit heavier than the Alfa-published numbers. R&T had this to say about the 4C:

The original weight advertised for the 4C was an absurd 895 kg, or 1973 lb. That's what the Italians call "dry weight," and while it got the attention of enthusiasts everywhere, it was also a misleading number. That 1973-lb car, when filled with things like oil, was said to weigh 2028 lb.

But according to the engineers we spoke with last year, at that weight, the 4C has no A/C, no radio, no muffler, and a fixed-position passenger seat. Hell, it might not have even had an engine. It's not that we don't trust the Italians where weight is concerned. It's just that… we don't trust the Italians where weight is concerned

But back to the point. Here in the US, I know of no lighter new production car than the Mazda Miata. And that is at a sub $30,000 price point. Perhaps the Euro-spec Miata is 110 lb or so heavier than the Euro-spec 4C and the advantage of a CF tub finally does pay off. I can believe the Euro 4C might weigh around 2225 lb. I'd love to see independently-measured weights of both.

It's still an academic question; I live in the US.

14. ypsilon

ypsilon F1 Rookie

May 4, 2008
    the Netherlands
    The Euro 4C definitely can't meet the weight of your 2005 Elise, I believe the Elise series 1 was even lighter. But the 2015 Elise 220 Cup comes very close, adjusted for things like ac and the TcT gearbox that is.

On 4c-forums.com a few owners put their full options Euro 4C (ac + electric windows/mirrors, parking sensors, radio/speakers, sportpack) on scales and measured +/- 1015 kg (2238lbs).

The 2015 Elise Cup weight excl. fuel is 952 kg's (or 2099lbs.) (see Elise 220 Cup | Lotus Cars), add ac, fuel + the extra weight of the TcT gearbox (+/- 20kg's/44 lbs) and it comes close.

15. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

ScuderiaWithStickPlease F1 World Champ

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    Some basic info:
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMyoaICX5Fk[/ame]

16. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    Pobst takes one around Laguna as part of Car of the Year:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQYQWsdvnEQ[/ame]

17. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    I've had the car for a bit and like it better each drive. The light weight and small size make for a very engaging drive and the amenities are surprisingly good. The gearbox is as good as any car I've ever driven, the pedals are set up for heel/toe. LED headlamps are excellent, stereo is acceptable and the headrest speakers are clever from a packaging and proximity standpoint. Even the Bluetooth is good with the top down. It's clearly optimized for the street with a very muted exhaust and lots of suspension travel.

The top is super clever, and literally takes maybe 5 sec to operate with the front section doubling as a rigid tonneau cover. It has glass rear window with electric defrost.

I know I will want more power, but a traditional turbo kit is on the way, as is a very clever electric supercharger, so I figure 250 hp is going to be pretty readily available and should not be too taxing on the 2l engine. Tuners are already supplying about 170 rwhp NA, and that's without cams or extensive exhaust or intake development. There is a lot to be said for a higher production car and strong aftermarket and enthusiast community.

18. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ii5N86XNXEM[/ame]

19. Fabspeed Motorsport

Sponsor

Feb 5, 2009
    Fort Washington, PA
    Full Name:
    John S
    I'd really like to see a Mazdaspeed version with the 1.4L turbo and extra goodies....could convince me to trade in the BRZ.

20. mseals

mseals Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 9, 2007
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Mike Seals
    Interesting comparison:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6HFEaZi5mI[/ame]

21. vinuneuro

vinuneuro F1 Rookie

May 6, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Vig
    #146 vinuneuro, Apr 4, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  22. gsfent

gsfent Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    PB County, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Saw this at the NY Auto show a few days ago. Looks even better in person. It has a similar targa top feature as the new $120k 911. One of the staff was putting the top up and down. About 15-20 seconds in each direction.

Estimated pricing at the show was "around" $35k. Should be here late in 2017 (3rd of 4th Q).

Adding power is not an issue (unless you are concerned about warranty claims).

Regards,
    Jerry

23. OhioMark

OhioMark Formula Junior

Feb 16, 2006
    I sat in one at the Cleveland Auto show and just didn't fit, even with the seat all the way back against the rear bulkhead. I've also had the
    opportunity to try on a previous generation with the same results, which is very disappointing.

24. zygomatic

zygomatic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    This has always been my greatest disappointment with the Miata; at 6'3", I don't fit.

Does anyone know if the rear quarter "windows" are see-through (i.e. are the blackened parts of the buttresses glass, or are they simply black panels designed to continue the window line)?

25. stever

stever F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 18, 2006
    West. Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Steve R
    I think it's the latter.