2016 Mazda Miata | Page 5 | FerrariChat

2016 Mazda Miata

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Nurburgringer, Sep 3, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    Really old topic, I just found it.

My first car was a first gen Miata. My Dad was at an auto-mall getting my Moms BMW serviced and the Mazda dealer had a full scale poster in their window. It was 1989, shortly after the big auto show reveal. The dealer had brochure's and the window picture and that was it. My Dad thought I would like it and ordered one on the spot. We had the number one spot on the waiting list, first order.

I took delivery shortly after my 18th. birthday. Birthday is in September and the new models came out in October. Three other people picked up their Miata's that day. First delivery was only a few cars. I think in total maybe 24 Miata's in BC at the time. The next shipment got delayed. So you didn't see lots on the road. Everyone wanted to know what it was.

I drove it for a year and then traded it on a 85 Corvette. Big mistake.

I always test drive the new models of Miata when they come out. With this one, might buy, just out of nostalgia. Looks great too!

2. Nurburgringer

Nurburgringer F1 World Champ

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    Fuel economy and pricing released:

6 speed manual: 27 mpg city, 34 highway, 30 combined.
    6 speed automatic: 27 mpg city, 36 highway, 30 combined

Sport: $25,735 (add $1075 for the automatic transmission—here and in all models). The Sport includes 16-inch wheels, a six-speed manual transmission, LED headlights and taillights, Bluetooth, power door locks, a leather-wrapped shift knob, a USB port, and cruise control.

Club: $29,420. The Club model adds 17-inch wheels, a front splitter, a rear spoiler, piano-black door-mirror caps, a seven-inch touch-screen infotainment system, and a nine-speaker Bose sound system. A limited-slip rear differential, Bilstein dampers, and a shock-tower brace are included, too, so long as the manual transmission is selected. Buyers can opt for a $3400 performance package that brings 17-inch forged-aluminum BBS wheels, Brembo front brakes, and aerodynamic rocker-panel extensions and rear bumper trim.

Grand Touring: $30,885. The Grand Touring adds bright-finished 17-inch wheels, heated seats, leather, automatic climate control, a Homelink garage-door opener, rain-sensing windshield wipers, adaptive headlights, blind-spot monitoring, rear cross-traffic alert, and lane-departure warning.

Launch Edition: $31,315. The Launch Edition comes with an exclusive tan interior, keyless entry, and every single one will be painted Soul Red. The rest of the car’s equipment matches that of the Grand Touring, although buyers will be treated to a Mazda-branded Bose SoundLink Bluetooth speaker, as well as items from Mazda’s upcoming Heritage clothing line. Just 1000 Launch Editions will be built, and you can order one starting May 5 with a $500 deposit.

Full Pricing for the 2016 MX-5 Miata Revealed (You Can Still Afford It!) ? News ? Car and Driver | Car and Driver Blog

3. nicholasn

nicholasn Formula 3

Nov 7, 2013
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Nicholas
    Who would buy a Miata with an automatic??? Heresy...

4. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Well, I signed up for the Launch Edition but never got the email notification from Mazda, which was supposed to have been yesterday. Did anyone here snag one? I have no way of knowing but I assume the first 1,000 are gone by now.

5. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Would a cash deposit effect said notification? I joined (but quickly left) the Ford RS forum but heard that one can be put on "the list" but a cash deposit trumps all.

6. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    My understanding was that those who signed up to be notified would get an email at 9AM PDT yesterday. The first 1,000 to commit (presumably with a deposit of some kind....credit card, PayPal) would be able to purchase the Launch Edition at MSRP.

7. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    First off as a former Miata owner ('99 NB) I support your decision, I wanna stuff a 2JZGTE into a NB, but have you tried contacting Mazda HQ or the dealership who took your "order"? A PITA I know but worth the leg work, "my understanding" is not sufficient when $30K is at stake, hell I ask more when ordering take-out.

Dare I say "food for thought"?

8. JBsZ06

JBsZ06 Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2003
    #108 JBsZ06, May 31, 2015
    Last edited: May 31, 2015
    I had a buddy selling his 'excellent condition black miata 1.8 and it's a hoot to drive...I bought it as my new winter ride...( the price was ridiculous for this beauty..

This miata clearly offers a lot of smiles per miles...

It's not about speed or technical data points...it's all about driver enjoyment...I believe the new ND will recreate that hallowed driving experience of the NA.

I believe June first is the release of driving impressions if the new car..

My corvette z51 ls3 m6 is my high performance machine..and the miata I recently picked up is a harking back to the quintessential British sports car much in the manner of a reliable 1966 lotus élan..

I believe the ND will be a huge hit with automotive magazine editors.in ..tomorrow's first driving impressions..

9. Nurburgringer

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    congrats JB! Post up some pics!

First driving impression of the new one in the US is up:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPlyNuNydhI[/ame]

10. Nurburgringer

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    #110 Nurburgringer, Jun 1, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  11. Jimi900

Jimi900 Formula Junior

Jul 8, 2004
    Tulsa, OK
    The car seems to drive well and while sitting it looks great, but while on the move it really could use some lowering springs. It looks like a SAV..

12. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
  13. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    Looks awkward and undertired. Not a fan although I haven't seen one in the flesh. Detest the grille.

14. Nurburgringer

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
  15. SWB

SWB Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2006
    Toronto & Ottawa
    Full Name:
    Seth
    Will be interesting what the Fiat version will look it. Aiming to replace the wife's 500c with one.

16. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    If I am not mistaken a Fiat version was scrapped months ago but stranger things have happened.

Damn rags!

17. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Now just drop a monster miata LS1 into it and you have somethign pretty groovy.

18. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    An owner had his 2016 LE Miata totaled a mile form the dealership. I can't imagine how pissed I would be!

999 left - MX-5 Miata Forum

19. nicholasn

nicholasn Formula 3

Nov 7, 2013
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Nicholas
    :(

That was hard to read about. Sounds like the typical truck drivers we have terrorizing the roads here in NC.

20. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

21. nicholasn

nicholasn Formula 3

Nov 7, 2013
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Nicholas
  22. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
  23. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    As best I can tell, the Miata is the lightest car available in North America. 2332 lb curb weight. The aftermarket is already testing them and upgrades will be available imminently. I think the packaging, top mechanism, and overall look are great. It's underpowered, but the weight is so great I had to order one.

24. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Makes one wonder why the CF 4c is so heavy.