2016 Indy Car | Page 14 | FerrariChat

2016 Indy Car

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by BartonWorkman, Jan 3, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Poor Mikhail Aleshin was really screwed today by his crew. I was amazed how calm he was when interviewed after the race. I would not have been that understanding!

2. One can be professional or not. Your career lasts much longer if you do. ;)

3. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby

Nope! My cable TV had the times differently so it recorded the wrong things. This only happens on NBC

4. #329 lorenzobandini, Aug 1, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
    Yup! Didja ever think mebbe your cable guide was wrong? Zap2It.com, TVRacer.com, and my cable guide had it right so I don't think you can blame NBC. (Well, obviously you can, but it's pointing the finger in the wrong direction) Fox does it all the time. ESPN used to do it twixt it and ESPN2. Priorities in the contracts, plain and simple.

Everything was going to plan. I started to watch NASCAR at 1 (eastern), put up with a little of the rain delay, took a nap and came back to the change (Mid-Ohio, 44 laps in when I was all set to watch the replay at 5:30. It just went awry when Pocono got rained out. Contract kicked in. Sheet happens. :)

edit: Fer instance...I just checked all three of my usual tv guide sources as above and Comcast's guide still shows Olympic trials on NBCSN; Zap2IT and TVRacer have Pocono on NBCSN. I'm willing to bet they've got it right and Comcast hasn't updated yet. We'll see. 'Not unusual. ;)

5. Turbopanzer

Turbopanzer F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    This last post officially close this thread. No need to respond because........no one was watching anyway!!!

:D:D:D Until nest year.....!

6. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Indy Car has positive things to build on from the 2016 season into 2017.

A deserving champion in Pagenaud, an American rookie winning the Indy 500 with several
    more talented Americans emerging as future stars, good racing throughout the field at events
    and some significant off-season driver moves.

But, will Indy Car build on these positives or continue to be like a rudderless ship navigating
    rough waters?

If they're able to avoid distractions such as the Boston and New Orleans debacles and point
    towards the future with diverse machinery and do something to make the cars, you know, less
    ugly, there may be a ray of hope.

BHW

7. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I'm excited for 17 man. Frozen aero. Chip w Honda. Josef w Penske. New car coming in 18.

Well said on Simon. Seems like a great guy also.

8. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    That would be a (simple) start.

There are none so blind as those who will not see.

9. ....that spec racing is boring. ;)

10. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    ...and spec racing with ugly cars and no variety of engines is even worse! :)

I'd much rather watch an SCCA FC race than IndyCar.

11. That's what I meant by spec.

Bring back late USAC, early CART....Oiy...I'm getting too old.

I won't do it again...ooopppsss...real racin' and engineering is over. There, I did it anyway.

12. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    So F1 has better racing? Since it's non spec right?

13. Short answer, yes.

I take it you're into the immediate satisfaction of "close" competition which is fine. You're not alone and that's okay.

I, and a bunch like me, enjoy the engineering that goes on behind the scenes by some mighty fine minds. R & D is just as interesting as "close racing".

Like I said a few times here before, if one wants that artificial equalization, just bring back the IROC. Have drivers draw their cars from a hat each race. 'Can't be any more "fair" than that. Let's keep lowering the bar.

Better yet...Save some $$$. Don't build cars, don't race, just give everyone a trophy, a pat on the back, and a "well done". :)

(I have to...it's genetic.)

14. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    You mean good racing, not just close racing.

I can appreciate the engineering aspect also. Unfortunately, that doesn't put butts in seats and the cost is already outrageous, so you have to be realistic.

It's quite clear who the best drivers are in Indycar. The same cannot be said for F1.

15. #340 lorenzobandini, Oct 12, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2016
    "You mean good racing, not just close racing."

Correct. I don't "need" close racing as some do. "Good" racing is a tad harder to perceive, I admit, but with different approaches tech wise (unspec), is far more interesting. :cool:

"It's quite clear who the best drivers are in Indycar. The same cannot be said for F1."

Absolutely. Isn't that great?! 'Makes the championships, driver's and mfr's in F1, even more significant. Thus, more exciting. ;)

In the end, however, to each his own. :)

edit: OOopppss, I forgot:

"I can appreciate the engineering aspect also. Unfortunately, that doesn't put butts in seats and the cost is already outrageous, so you have to be realistic."

Hmmmm...F1 garners far more eyeballs than IndyCar. :confused:

16. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Prove to me that the f1 audience is tuning in because of the tech. I don't think so. I hear very few fans talk about the power units with any interest. It's more about the teams and the fact that it is considered the pinnacle. Supposedly Indycar will attempt to bring in more engine manufacturers in 18 w a standard aero package.

17. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Close (pack) racing is as boring as dominant team racing.

If I want to see pack racing, I'll go watch harness racing (which is like watching paint dry), or an NBA basketball game - pure garbage.

It's the biggest reason I know longer watch IndyCar. I was never a huge fan of ovals anyway, but go watch film of old Indy 500 races - very little pack racing, far more exciting racing.

18. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Bah - less than half the schedule is ovals though, and they have amazing tracks like Watkins Glen and Road America. There were 8 different race winners this year. Pagenaud managed to win 5 times. Hardly seems possible if it is just "pack racing".

19. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I am not interested in oval racing in general (aside from the massive wrecks it produces). The Indy road course races this year were for the most part very very good. I like the strategy/drama produced with having a limited number of Push to Pass for the race. Makes it interesting to see how each driver manages them.

20. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Concur - vs DRS which is contrived and boring.

21. I am not "into" "power units", or "engines". Throughout my experiences ('cept for way back in my slotcar days when I rewound my own Mabuchis before I couldn't compete with Mura, who ended up sponsoring me) in racing, I was more a chassis setup guy. So I cannot comment on that part of the engineering regarding engines. I could communicate where I thought the torque curve was lacking etc. But had no clue how to rectify with all the variables (valve timing, lift; exhaust runner lengths, intake runner lengths, etc. etc. etc.....) Admittedly, I couldn't design or fabricate (tho' I could be a hell of an assistant given the right direction) a chassis.

No mas...methinks we're talking on different planes.

On that note, I digress and state again, to each his own.

22. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    The ovals need to be FAR less than half. I've stated before, maybe 2 ovals, that's it.

Unfortunately, that's NOT Tony George's model, so what you have is pack racing (to be fair, some races this year were good - RA was for sure, and always us).

Long story behind TG and how NASCAR hoodwinked him while he was battling CART. He was stupid, but fell for it. Don't take my word, the ratings suck, the attendance sucks, and the product sucks. That doesn't mean there isn't any value to it, but at present time, it's garbage from top down.

23. Lovely. Now I really understand what's here. ;(

24. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    No worries. But when you dog Indycar you should expect opposing opinions from fans.

25. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    The ratings suck for f1 in the US also compared to the rest of the world. It's all racing, not just Indycar.

I know the sad history of Indycar; people talk about it all the time. But I watch the racing, and it's very good. A lot of the tracks are quite dangerous. The stakes are higher than F1 for a big mistake.

Is it as good as it was? I'm sure it isn't. Is it still one of the best forms of racing out there today? No question in my opinion.