2016 Indy Car | Page 13 | FerrariChat

2016 Indy Car

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by BartonWorkman, Jan 3, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Turbopanzer

Turbopanzer F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
  2. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Well, it remains to be seen during the final five races of the year how things go with
    Indy Car.

They had a strong Indy 500 this year with full grandstands and a popular surprise winner
    but the rest of the season has been so-so at best.

Now, with the news that Target is pulling out, it makes other sponsors (or potential new
    sponsors) question why a company with such a long involvement would pull out now. A team
    just doesn't go out hat in hand to find a replacement for a top level sponsor like Target or
    Marlboro.

I quit reading Robin Miller's mail bag a while ago. Too many crackpots asking and/or pontificating
    about how Indy Car should be run. If Miller really fields all this, it certainly must take up a major
    part of his time as it seems endless.

If Indy Car can finish the season on a strong note and provide some real interest without
    shooting themselves in what is left of their foot without a bunch of nonsense, they may
    have a shot at a legitimate future.

If Indy Car follows NASCAR's lead, that will only mean the eventual take-over will happen
    sooner than later.

The change of CoB at the top of the Hullman/George family is a clear indication that some
    big negotiations are coming up.

BHW

3. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    #303 GuyIncognito, Jul 28, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  4. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    What do you mean, 'going to'.... it already does, it's even worse.

1) ALL teams lose sponsors, it comes with the territory, and hits ALL teams regardless
    of how good they are. STP anyone?

2) nascar doesn't need the headaches of indycar, nascar would let them just die off,
    like they are currently doing.
    The Indy 500 was big THIS YEAR because it was the 100 year anniversery, that's all.

5. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Your tax dollars at work.

Your Sheriff's office cars: More technically sophisticated than NASCAR!

Something like that, I'll keep working on it.

BHW

6. Turbopanzer

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    Chrysler's answer to the two seater?

7. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Is that Indy's proposal for a closed cockpit car?

8. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Knowing Target as I do, I think this is more of a "Target" problem than an "Indy" problem

9. ;)

10. Turbopanzer

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    How so? Problems with bathrooms again?? :D

11. yzee

yzee F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2005
    Bodegata
    Full Name:
    Michael
    At Mid Ohio Track rec 1:05.3 / 22 cars below Power fastest at 1:04.1

12. Thtop iiit you thilly gooth!!! :confused:

Thath not fery nithe. :mad:

(I can't help it...it's genetic... :D)

13. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    Worst case scenario, lets say the current Indycar series dies...what becomes of the 500?

Could it survive as a one-off, big purse, minimal regulation, run-what-ya-brung type race? I have to admit that would be infinitely more interesting, but I wouldn't want to lose open wheel racing in America to achieve it.

14. Turbopanzer

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer

To answer this question....YES YES YES !!!!!!!!! I think I love you!!!! :D

Turn the clock back to the mid 1970's with that type of rule book and watch us come running out of the wood work! I don't think you will lose it...you will save it!!!

Adavanced ticket orders to watch Turbopanzer take a wack at Indy on sale now in the lobby. look for the guy in the black cowboy hat. :D

15. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    We've discussed this before and to think that we're even talking about the end of Indy Car
    (or open wheeled racing in the U.S.) is difficult to imagine.

But, the way things have been going the past several years, we see clearly that the wrong
    side won the CART/IRL war as it seems the series has been on a downward skid ever since.

This is not to criticize the competition, teams or drivers. Actually, the racing has been quite
    good with close competition and interesting races. Rather, its a critique of the leadership
    (or lack thereof) in Indianapolis and how it is affecting the series as a whole.

NASCAR has made it clear, time and time again, that they want to control a monopoly over
    all of racing. They made a big stride in that direction by taking over our sports car racing
    and they must be watching Indy Car's implosion with interest.

As I've predicted, may as well hang it out there again, should Indy Car go on the block,
    NASCAR would likely step in and buy what is left for pennies on the dollar. The gem in this
    deal would be the ISC's acquisition of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway and whatever is
    left of the Hulman/George family motorsport empire.

So, it would be in the ISC's interest to keep the Indy 500 alive. But, we may shudder to
    think what NASCAR's version of open wheeled racing would entail as we most certainly
    know that it would become an even further watered down version of what we have today,
    if their GrandAm charade was anything to go by, and the Indy Car series as a whole would
    be further reduced to red headed step child status.

It certainly won't be anything innovative (we can't have any of that innovation stuff deep
    in the fake wood paneled walled offices in Daytonner) as they're certainly happy to keep
    technology in the 1950s and any series under their umbrella is reduced to third tier status
    as their only concern (is) promoting NASCAR.

Interesting to note that Tony George has recently been named board chairman as
    Mari Hulman-George is in failing health. It would appear Tony will be kept on a short
    leash by the family but this development surely comes at an interesting time with the 500
    on somewhat of an upswing but the rest of the series mired in mediocracy and a virtual
    spec formula that by their own admission, they have no intention of changing until 2020
    or later.

BHW

16. 'Agree with all except the "500 on somewhat of an upswing".

Where's the upswing? 'Barely filled the field. A spike in the attendence due to it's 100 running.

I see no upswing in the race itself.

But again, it's everywhere. Methinks the world's economy has more to do with all of racings decline than anything else.

Then again, I know nothing. :)

17. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Let's put it this way, at least the 500 registers a pulse.

There is still enough of a fan base to fill the place (100th Anniversary surely helped) but
    the rest of the series with the possible exception of perhaps Long Beach is barely a blip
    on the map any more.

BHW

18. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan

I'll buy a ticket to see that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. 'Off by a decade. The 60s were the years. Offies, Novis, Ford cammers, stock blocks, front engines, rear engines, side engines, 2wd, 4wd, turbines, (heck...almost steam in '69.....) :)

20. Shoot! 'Was gonna watch Pocono, napped 'cause of the rain delay, came back to check on delay and Indycar is on. I missed half the race. Nice turn out tho'....

21. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    WTF? NBCSN has the Indy race at 2pm on the schedule but it's lap 20 of the F1 race?

22. RWatters

RWatters Formula 3

Feb 21, 2006
    Kansas
    I guess they decided to air it earlier because the NASCAR race was delayed. ****ing annoying.

23. post 320 ^^^^^

Pocono was postponed so NBC was nice enuff to air Mid-Ohio live which moved up the replay of this morn's German GP.

Race fans. I love it. :D

24. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    TV ws really screwed up but great and exciting race - much better then F1

25. #325 lorenzobandini, Jul 31, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2016
    No... NBCSN had Pocono at 2 (eastern), followed by a replay of Mid-Ohio, followed by a replay of the German GP. CNBC had Mid-Ohio sched'd at 2 live. It was moved over to NBCSN when Pocono was rained out, followed by Germany replay. I never tried CNBC so I guess CNBC showed a replay of Germany when Ohio went to NBCSN.

Get with the program. :D

A good guide that wouldn't have helped today: TVRacer.com - TV Racing Schedule