2016 FORMULA 1 GRAND PRIX OF EUROPE: RACE *** SPOILERS *** | Page 18 | FerrariChat

2016 FORMULA 1 GRAND PRIX OF EUROPE: RACE *** SPOILERS ***

Discussion in 'F1' started by SPEEDCORE, Jun 19, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Good to have you back Pedro!

2. maulaf

maulaf Formula 3

Feb 24, 2011
    Cape Town
    welcome back. Looks like time well used. And my compliments for that decent fortress.

3. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    glad to have you back

4. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Thanks for the welcome guys..

5. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

+1 I think your penalty was one worth enduring lol :)

6. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    They never got tyre information on pit boards, or engine settings.

All they got was their lap time and the gap to their rivals. Perfect and all that is required. The driver has to use their BRAIN and work out what to do, with their car and with their race pace.

Pit to car radio is the worst thing that has ever happened to motorsport, as bad as sponsorship.
    Pete

7. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Welcome back pedro!

8. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    Very nice photos of the Pedro clan, excellent castle and WELCOME BACK !!!!! ;)

9. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    True but the theory is the best drivers eventually end up in the best team and therefore the best driver becomes the WDC.
    The electronics do most of the driving nowadays. Notice how Elton was lapping one second slow until the setting was changed, so car 95% and driver 5% of a lap time. They should be left to provide that 5% by themselves.
    Again disagree. But yes of course building and setting up the car requires the team but the driver should NOT be given any instructions while driving. That is my point.

It is the drivers responsibility to know their car and how to make all necessary adjustments, to control their pace, etc.
    All they need to tell the driver is his/her lap time and gaps to other competitors. The rest should be up to the driver. I believe this is how MotoGP is and most definitely how F1 was.
    Pete

10. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    +1

I'm with Pete on all of this.

11. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    Yes, but how does radio change that?
    And looking over the recent results before and after the ban of the drivers instructions: did you notice any major changes in the results? Did one or the other driver fell back or stood out before or after because of that? I think it did not change much at all, the best are still the best and the worse are still the worse.

Look at Rosberg for example: he was criticized several times to ask the team for help when Hamilton was faster and people thought he would be lost without the drivers instructions... Since then he won a lot of races...I do not think that those radio calls do that much harm as you think.
    I get your point that these drivers should be good enough to handle things on their own but I still do not rate that as high as you do. For me F1 is much more about the cars nowadays than about the drivers. It always was but I think it became even more with the test ban. There are very few occasions where the outcome between two cars (of different constructors) is so close that actually the driver does make the difference...at least at the front, it might be different in the middle of the field where things are closer.

12. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Thank you all for the warm welcome....it's good to be back!!
    Now let's kick some Merc's ass!!!

13. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    #438 PSk, Jul 1, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2016
    Good points and you make a lot of sense here.

What I really dislike is the team or tactician telling the driver when to push, when to conserve, what lap time they need to be doing for N stop plan, etc. That really should be up to the driver, and it very much is in REAL racing in lower formulas so all the drivers by the time they reach F1 know how to feel their cars performance and run a race. This is what a racing driver is ... some very good examples: Lauda, Stewart, Prost, Fangio, Moss.

This is one of the reasons why tyre changing needs to go the way of refueling and p!ss off so we can let the drivers actually race the cars instead of doing a series of instructed laps.

Apparently some like refueling or tyre stops because it somehow adds to the "show" and makes it more of a team game. Can I suggest politely that maybe motorsport (excluding endurance racing of course where tyres actually need to be changed) is not really their thing if they see it that way. A valid comparison is having pit stops in a 1000m race at the Olympics so the runners can change their shoes ... sure would be bloody interesting and funny to watch but hardly racing is it. This is what Bernie's meddling has done to F1, diluted the "race" for short term financial profits by trying to make non-motorsport people tune in to F1.
    Pete

14. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    Your wife is cute but you're even cuter :D

Were you holidaying with your friend Alonso ?? :p

15. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    I believe I started a thread on this weeks ago, and it seems that we are still evenly divided.

I personally don't believe in any communication to the pits after the start of the race other than the pit board.

I'm gunna build a jammer for the next Aussie GP so we will see who can operate without the "sideline" coaching :p

16. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    You and Singof both have good points and I was on the "no radio" team but then I remember Brawn and Schuey winning the '97 Hungarian GP due to Brawn telling Michael to put in about 10 qualifying laps or so and he would move ahead of the McLarens by using a different pit strategy . Brawn had noticed where the opposition was, calculated how far Michael would be ahead IF he could put in those lap times.

Now, as smart as the Schu was he couldn't have known that by putting in a specific number of laps at qualifying pace that he would leapfrog the McLarens and if you get the race out you will see that it almost seems magical the way he jumps ahead of one McLaren and thenis somehow ahead of the next one ..................... I still think that is Michael's greatest ever race , and it was classified by fchatters as boring at the time :p

17. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Sure MS probably would not have won that race if left to his own devices. I could have lived with that ... but concede it was a great drive by him.
    Pete

18. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Now we are talking about real racing by proper racing drivers........ Forza Michael

19. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    That was not racing as such, but lapping very fast. There was no on track passing for that win.
    Pete

20. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Not sure if you're joking or perhaps you're looking at the pictures upside down since you're on the other side of the planet! :) but that's my 10 year old princess in the pics!!!!
    As for Alonso, he did invite me over to Dubai...but i don't date losers!! and besides, he's a bit hairy for my taste!! ;)