2016 Daytona 24 Hours | Page 7 | FerrariChat

2016 Daytona 24 Hours

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by David Lind, Jan 23, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    I've sometimes wondered about assembling one of the flash extenders that some bird photographers use. I have the plans, the foam board, and the fresnel lens sitting here... right where they have been for 2-3 years now. LOL

2. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Thanks! I can definitely see the difference in contrast and the colors being more vibrant (the blue in the sky and guardrails). I just need to upgrade my camera, but I don't have the time at present to go on fun trips to shoot photography.

3. kevin956

kevin956 Formula Junior

Jan 26, 2004
    Pasadena, CA
    #153 kevin956, Feb 7, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Interesting discussion, particularly on the night time shots. We were probably standing next to each other for the Stevenson #9 Audi R8 shot into the horseshoe. I've attached two of the same car taken from the same location with the same equipment and the same settings.

Both were taken at 1/500 speed at f/2.8 with ISO3200. Both were shot at 200mm. Both got very modest sharpening and a step or two to lighten in Lightroom. The big decision I have with such shots is what are you looking for? In this case, I wanted a crisp car, but enough wheel motion to show movement and a bit of blur for the background. I knew I would be giving up brake glow and more dramatic color blurring. The faster shutter speed to help get a crisp car shot meant that I needed bigger aperture and ISO get more light into the sensor.

The two photos are close, but one is sharper due to a little bit better panning from the operator. They're both sharper on my computer than as posted on Fchat though.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. kevin956

kevin956 Formula Junior

Jan 26, 2004
    Pasadena, CA
    #154 kevin956, Feb 7, 2016
    Two others examples where I was trying to get reasonably sharp cars, but with some brake glow. Same as the others - these aren't as sharp in Fchat as they appear on my computer.

Settings were 1/250, f/2.8 and ISO2000, so same aperture but slower shutter speed and lower ISO. I think my logic at the time for the lower ISO is that I wasn't sure what graining would show at the higher numbers, so a slower shutter speed would be sufficient to gather enough light. You'll notice that both photos are darker than the Audi photos above which was intentional as I wanted to highlight the brake glow. I think these both got sharpening in Lightroom, but no lightening.

5. kevin956

kevin956 Formula Junior

Jan 26, 2004
    Pasadena, CA
    Here's a blog from Jamey Price who is a professional. He was at Daytona with focus on the Lambos. He's posted some interesting shots from a composition perspective, but he also flew above the track at night and has some really unique aerial shots. If you're interested in photography, it is worth your time.

A Hard Day's Night - Jamey Price |Motorsport Photojournalist

6. DreamCarrera

DreamCarrera Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2006
    S.E. PA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I love the aerial night shots. I'm a bit surprised they were able to take these given the close proximity to the airport.

7. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
    It's safer 1200' directly over the speedway/airport than 1200' altitude 3 miles away.

8. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    #159 the_stig, Feb 8, 2016
  9. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Thanks for posting up the exif info guys. It really helps out as I like to shoot in low-light conditions and have wanted to know what the nice night shots of race cars took in terms of equipment and settings.

10. kevin956

kevin956 Formula Junior

Jan 26, 2004
    Pasadena, CA
    You've got a lot more faith in your slow speed panning skills at night than I do! I usually do best at 1/100 and sometimes at 1/80 but rarely slower than that - let alone at night. Well done!

11. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    Thanks! I'm often happy with the results at 1/30 - even out at longer lengths than 100mm.
    Considerably less successful at 1/15 and slower!

12. Heat Seeker WS6

Heat Seeker WS6 Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    John G
  13. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
  14. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
  15. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    Naughty naughty using an intake that Audi had agreed not to use any longer. Worth 40hp according to pitlane speculation.

16. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    I believe this issue may not be as clear cut as it initially seems. I know some people in and around the GTD paddock and from what I understand Lamborghini was asked by IMSA to make an intake restrictor between the test days and the race. The restrictors were completed just before the race and with the rain before the 24 IMSA never had a chance to properly evaluate the performance of the Lambos to see if their BOP measures worked. So as it was the Lambo teams did EXACTLY as they were asked by IMSA and now they are receiving a penalty?

17. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    Interesting last comment, IF Lambo did as asked. Not that they should escape penalty if guilty, but w/ Lambo having a large presence at the 24, both in the race and in the vendor display area, and with prototype numbers drastically reduced from 2014, that series needs all the friends it can get. I think the sanctioning body better be darn sure that Lamborghini deliberately cheated before enforcing this penalty.

18. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    According the article on Racer - Audi agreed to stop using the intake after testing following the conclusion of the 2014 season when the data didn't match BoP tests.

19. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Oh brother...

BHW

20. apexdc

apexdc Karting

Jan 6, 2008
    Palm Springs, CA
    Full Name:
    David Christian
    #171 apexdc, Feb 23, 2016
    Hi, I was with Risi Competizione at Daytona this year. As those of you who were there know, our car just made it to Daytona early in the week before the race, having been flown in from Italy with only 100 test miles at Fiorano.

We were running in the top three going into the night but got tangled up with one of the Corvettes (right front splitter) and then rear ended by one of the Ford GT's, which damaged the diffuser. Around sunrise, we had to go to the garage and remove the diffuser totally as we had NO spares, yet! Dropped us to about eighth, but we finished sixth and still ahead of the Ford GT's.

Sebring is up next.

We are also just finishing a Hospitality Package for Le Mans, which is going to be fantastic. I'll try to post it soon, as well as an incredible one week luxury tour before the race that includes an insider tour of the Ferrari Factory. Ferrari ownership NOT required!

More later,

21. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    great shots! that last one in particular.

22. apexdc

apexdc Karting

Jan 6, 2008
    Palm Springs, CA
    Full Name:
    David Christian
    Yeah, I took quite a few personally, but the ones I put up were pro shots and that sunset shot is spectacular!

Slept a whole hour that night!

23. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    A tip of the hat to Risi who performed valiantly under duress. Greatness can't be far away ...

24. apexdc

apexdc Karting

Jan 6, 2008
    Palm Springs, CA
    Full Name:
    David Christian
    Thanks. They have won at every major roadracing venue in the US except Daytona! Dang!

It's the classic "Wait till next year!".

But they have won Le Mans three times in seven tries. it's a cool team.