2015 Indy Car | Page 48 | FerrariChat

2015 Indy Car

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by BartonWorkman, Jan 30, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. OhioMark

OhioMark Formula Junior

Feb 16, 2006
    Power said he changed his line trying to undercut the car in front and get his position back.

2. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Hard to mess with college football, or even NFL. The ratings aren't in the same league, so you are probably right.

I think Wilson's young kids gets to Letterman because he has a son now. This was not the case until fairly recently. Honestly, that effected me a lot also having a young daughter.

The only thing I think was a bit off is that he made some statement like, you don't expect to see this again in reference to deaths in racing. I think if he really reflects on that, he will realize it just isn't realistic.

...I'm assume his comments about racing and Wilson is what you are referring to : )

3. Prugna

Prugna Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Unites States
    Cant hug the curb there. Too much slope too the left, before and during the turn. Besides, if one does with an open wheel car, the rear tire bumps "higher" and kicks out the rear.

4. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    If they're going to award double points in any race, it should be the Indianapolis 500.

5. Kaivball

Kaivball Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2007
    Kalifornia
    You are right. I forgot that it's slightly off camber. Actually one of my less favorable turns on that track as well. 😁

You either get it right or really, really wrong.

Kai

6. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #1181 TheMayor, Aug 31, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2015
    Indy car points are WAY too confusing! Points for this, points for that, etc. I know Nascar does something similar but if you don't follow Indy car much, it's really confusing.

It seemed like the announcers were trying really hard to add some drama half way through the race -- but then when they tried to explain the points situations, it was like getting a math lesson!

If Penske and Target quit Indy car racing tomorrow, the entire series would fold. Its on that thin of ice. My feeling is if the Wilson tragedy happened in a Target car, Target would pull out. Honestly, if Target quit it would do major damage to the season alone as there are really only two teams out there with proper funding.

If Ferrari and Mercedes quit F1 (or Marlboro quit), it would hurt as well. But I think others would rush in to fill the gaps. I don't see that with Indy racing.

7. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    Off camber AND downhill!

8. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Let us all hope that this long time off for Indy Cars is time well spent sorting out
    their seemingly many, many issues.

After a season of one gaffe after another, the Brazilian round being cancelled at the
    last minute, the ugly "aero kit" cars, the fan being hit on the head at St. Petersburg,
    the loss of Justin Wilson, etc. this year, if something major isn't announced immanently,
    2016 will be little more than a repeat performance.

For the sake of the history of American open wheeled racing, they'd better do something.

BHW

9. Turbopanzer

Turbopanzer F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
  10. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Which team owners were unhappy with Walker? What happened at Mid Ohio? He didn't elaborate in the article.

11. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    That article is kind of all over the place. Certainly sounds like a bad experience though.

I think the summary is that Indycar didn't have his back and that the owners were not satisfied with him yet never told him to his face. Finally, no one cared about his plan for the future, perhaps as a result of the other two items.

I definitely agree with him about capturing the young fans though. I can tell you that most of the young drivers I've met actually like the crazy new body kits.

I've seen Newey's design for closing off the wheels and cockpit and don't like it. I never saw anything from Murray though regarding a future F1 car - does anyone have a link?

12. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    A no-win situation for anyone whom may have stepped into that position.

I got 2/3rds of the way through that article and had enough.

Indy Car keeps kicking the can down the road to 2016, 2018, 2020, etc. when they need effective
    change (and a new car<s>) now! If Indy Car fails to acknowledge that this spec car racing
    debacle hasn't done them in, then they deserve the fate they're about to receive (which will
    be selling out to NASCAR for pennies on the dollar).

As pointed out, the article is rambling and a bit all over the place. Would have sufficed
    at half the length.

Fair enough to point out also that Walker passed on having Tom Kristensen on his CART
    team in favor of a driver who could bring $4M to the table for the 2000 season. While at
    least Walker was kind enough to entertain the notion of Kristensen joining his CART
    team which would have made it an instant winner, he sold out for sponsorship money.

All that aside, Indy Car hasn't got two, three or five years to affect change. They need it
    now and (as pointed out earlier) if they don't make some major moves during this off season,
    American open wheeled racing as we know it may cease to exist.

BHW

13. Turbopanzer

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    Based on the story, it appears Indy Car lacks leadership and a forward direction. It really has no plan for its future and with it.....no way of moving forward to regain lost market or seeking new viewers. Not a good thing as we move into the coming years. You can't build a fan base if you have no idea as to what your present fans or future fans want. The current product seems to lack on all counts.

14. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I'd say that ultimately worked out well for TK, one of the most talented and genuinely nice men in racing. I was lucky to have a surprisingly long chat with him at Goodwood in 2012 and he impressed me as a very intelligent, thoughtful guy, and he seemed to be having the time of his life in historic racing.

15. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Do the Indy Car team owners and sponsors and move overly, the series sponsors have any say
    in matters or is this an iron clad dictatorship?

Hell, at least even Bernie and F-1 takes the pulse of their teams once in a while!

BHW

16. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Yes, spoke with Tom last week in fact.

Some interesting things coming up for 2016 including his induction into the Sebring Hall of Fame
    along with Rinaldo Capello and Allan McNish), renaming Turn Three "Kristensen Corner"
    among other things.

Had Tom entered the CART ranks, it may well have been huge for the series but you're right,
    as it was, Tom landed the deal with Audi for 2000 and the rest was history.

BHW

17. Turbopanzer

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    Ask yourself one question........who has the biggest stake in this ? Since both the series sponsor and his car sponsorship are the same......the power rest at one man's feet. And with it the future of the series. Monopolies seem to work that way.

18. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    assuming you're referring to Nakano, that was as much about Honda engines as sponsor $$$. smart move IMO, regardless of how good TK is. (and as mentioned, it turned out OK for Tom as well ;))

19. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    That is certainly part of the message I agree. I'm not sure that I agree that the current product lacks on all counts, but I can appreciate that opinion.

20. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Duh! Thank you freakin' Tony George and AJ Foyt

"One of the many unintended consequences of the CART/IRL war was the destruction not only of Lola and Reynard in the UK but also the final remnants of the American race car industry devoted to building and developing Indy car parts and components."

21. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
  22. OhioMark

OhioMark Formula Junior

Feb 16, 2006
  23. Kaivball

Kaivball Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2007
    Kalifornia
  24. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    FYI - Drove by Ganassi's house today. There is a little checkered flag flying on one of the pillars of his driveway ; )

25. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    ...And two bodies buried underneath it!

Badadum!

BHW