2015 12 Hours of Sebring | Page 3 | FerrariChat

2015 12 Hours of Sebring

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by Str8shooter, Mar 12, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wiley355

wiley355 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 10, 2010
    Vancouver, WA
    Full Name:
    Wiley
    Great photos! Really! Thanks for posting.

2. Jeffg11

Jeffg11 Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 31, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jeff Grabowski
    Excellent pictures!

3. John.D

John.D Formula Junior

Jan 15, 2009
    France
    great photos !!

4. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Thanks for the fantastic photos.

I'll say that the Ligier has a face that only a mother could love, but it is a fast car. Now all they need to do is to find reliability. Let's see how they do in the "sprint" races.

5. Str8shooter

Str8shooter Formula 3

Jan 31, 2011
    Orlando
    #56 Str8shooter, Mar 24, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I don't get the design either.

Compared to the Corvette DP the Ligier looks like it would plow through the air but as you say it was fast. :)

Another set of pics before I start my Sebring experience rant :eek:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Thanks for the great photo coverage, since my schedule, and Fox's limited TV coverage, meant that I didn't see any of the race on television. I hope you do the Petit Le Mans in the same level of detail.

7. Phil~

Phil~ F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 25, 2013
    Potomac, Maryland
    Nice pictures!

8. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    Bill..........once again you have shared your talent for us race fans.

I was there in a compound with friends trackside between turns 4-5. We have 6 spaces on the track....3 RVs fronting and an open space in the middle creating a courtyard which is carpeted!! We also have a raised and tented platform with a sofa on the track. On the platform we have views from coming out of turn 3, all of 4, 5 and see 6 at the bridge.

In my years of visiting the 12 this is the best location for view and action. Being a slower section you get great views of the cars. And with faster cars trying to get around the slower there is lots of entertainment here. We watched the Aston spin when it lost a wheel, Oliver Gavin having the brake pedal fail and shutting it down before hitting the tire wall, as well as numerous spins before 4 and coming out of 5.

Next year I want you to visit our vantage point for some more great pics.

9. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    Great photos.

10. Str8shooter

Str8shooter Formula 3

Jan 31, 2011
    Orlando
    #61 Str8shooter, Mar 24, 2015
    I'm happy to post, thanks!

Sorry you couldn't get good coverage. FS1 had a two hour recap on sunday morning which I slept through. :(

One thing you guys might not know is at least two of the TV cameras, turn 3 and turn 17 were being being operated by women.
    The one at T 17 was out in the sun all day. This one in the pic was taken on Fri and had a canopy over her for race day.

I'd love to do the Petit Le Mans and someday check out the COTA but for now it is a bit out of my reach.

11. Str8shooter

Str8shooter Formula 3

Jan 31, 2011
    Orlando
    #62 Str8shooter, Mar 24, 2015
    Thanks Steve :)

You sound like you have a great setup for the track and a good group of people to be around. I was just behind the vendors on the main street sleeping
    in my Jeep Cherokee and had to move four times because of other's bad behavior :(

This is the fourth year in a row I've been to Sebring and I have yet to walk over the pedestrian bridge and checkout the rest of the track.
    I was going to this year but it was so hot I had to limit my walking and kept to the same spots.

I agree that turns 3, 4 and 5 are the best spots for action. I'm guessing you were on the other side somewhere close to the Rough Riders.

I had a pretty rough time myself and when I drove off I was thinking I wouldn't come back in 2016 but I'm sure I will have cooled down by then.
    Hard to pass up a weekend at the track. :)

12. willwork04

willwork04 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2012
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Will
    Nice shots.

The girl in the black dress is stunning.

13. normv

normv F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 3, 2005
    Mishawaka In
    Full Name:
    Norm
    #64 normv, Mar 24, 2015
  14. Str8shooter

Str8shooter Formula 3

Jan 31, 2011
    Orlando
    #65 Str8shooter, Mar 24, 2015
    She was a contestant in the Miss 12 Hours of Sebring bikini contest and didn't place :)

15. normv

normv F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 3, 2005
    Mishawaka In
    Full Name:
    Norm
    Wow, now we need to see who did place, Great pictures and thankyou.

16. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    Bill....it was unusually hot this year. Last year it was cold with the nights in the 40s. The Roughriders were new neighbors for us this year. They were next door to our compound. They were gracious to turn down the noise before midnight. We are in the calm area. For craziness turn 7-10 better known as Green Park is where partying never ends. Fun to visit but not if you want sleep.. lol.

Try to remember to contact me next year. I can arrange for a better place to sleep than a Jeep. We have a large area where another tent and vehicle will be welcomed. We can barter space for pics!!

17. willwork04

willwork04 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2012
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Will
    Unreal. Any more shots of her?

I'll never forget the first time I saw the Sebring Bikini contest as a 15 year old. Still brings a smile to my face :D

18. yzee

yzee F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2005
    Bodegata
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Great pics Bill. Thanks for the effort to bring them to us!

19. Str8shooter

Str8shooter Formula 3

Jan 31, 2011
    Orlando
    #70 Str8shooter, Mar 25, 2015
    Thanks, I'll keep that offer in mind when next year rolls around. :)

Right now I've got my eye on a nice little rig that will make me feel like Superman :D

20. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    That's just wrong!

21. Str8shooter

Str8shooter Formula 3

Jan 31, 2011
    Orlando
    I've been to the 12 Hours in 1982, 1995, 2000, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015.

I fully understand what you sign up for when you go to Sebring for the race and the partying is a big part of it. In the past I've been able to deal with it and it wasn't a problem.

This year turned out to be a big hassle that was compounded by the unusual heat. I can't blame the weather on anyone but bad behavior and poor decisions are a different matter. I'm not mad. The experience left me worn out when I need every bit of energy to walk the track taking pictures.

I'll start my experience with the music.

For some reason people feel the need to play " their " music super loud. Most likely it isn't popular music with broad appeal but some crap that most don't want to hear. They blast from their vehicles as they cruise the infield. During the day its fine. Early evening is ok but there were two or three trucks riding around playing gangster rap with every third word the N word and it was 2:00 am. I don't get that.

I got there early Fri morning and got the parking spot I wanted. All cars parked around me. Later in the day the car next to me left and was replaced by a motorhome. They parked along side of me and then laid their " spread " out behind my Cherokee. A full dining area with the BBQ grill placed so close to my back bumper I couldn't even open the back hatch. I wasn't about to wait around for dinner to cook so I moved to a different parking spot.

After a long hot day I was ready to lay out and get some rest. The night air was comfortable and all I had to do was deal with the trucks blaring music.

Out in the general parking area I was in was a full size dumpster and cars parked all around it. About 9:30 pm a large front end loader was going around emptying the trash barrels into the bucket and then weaved its way through the parked cars to unload in the dumpster. For the next two hours I had that thing going right past my Jeep with the floodlight on kicking up a cloud of dust that went through my open windows every pass. I can't believe someone thought it was a good idea to put the dumpster in the middle of the parking area.

I finally fell asleep only to be awakened about 1:30 am by a new guy that wan't there when I tried to go to sleep and he had parked beside me and was putting up his big tent with his truck door open blaring some thrasher speed metal rock that could be heard 100 yds away. I lasted about five minutes of that before jumping behind the wheel and moving again to another spot.

Couldn't get back to sleep and watched three spring breakers get in a brawl with a bunch of old drunks. After that some guy walked past my Jeep sat down and cried for 15 minutes to someone on the phone in a drunken way.

I think I finally fell asleep about 4:00 am only to get up about 6:30 to get ready to photograph the day. Not the rest I needed to get through another long day. You can expect stuff like that at Sebring but for some reason this year I was ground zero for the wackos and drunks.

22. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Bill,
    Thank you for posting the pictures and commentary that you do. With your rant on Sebring, I have to ask...how much is a hotel room for the night? I am sure some of us would contribute if it convinces you to continue covering the race in the future.

23. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Again, no disrespect was meant by my comments, it just sounds like the extra money spent on a hotel would have greatly increased your enjoyment this year.

I have given my gf an ultimatum for next year....either Daytona or Sebring since I have never been to either.

24. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Sounds like some of my camping trips from 30+yrs ago to the Guadalupe River ie New Braunfels.