2014 Indy 500 | Page 8 | FerrariChat

2014 Indy 500

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by GuyIncognito, May 11, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    What a great race! Three wide into T1 was crazy and it was so close to working. Needless to say I was disappointed as Hinchcliffe was putting in a decent run.

Great run by Karam and not bad at all for KB and his first attempt at the Indy. He didn't appear to do much from what I saw besides just run the race but he was clearly on pace.

The finish, as exciting as it was, made me sad. I was rooting for Helio or Marco to take the overall win. RHR took the win but that was a hell of a race. Did anyone else see that pass in the last few laps where it looked like he dropped a wheel on the grass?

2. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    #177 GuyIncognito, May 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    he was NOT in the grass! it really annoys me when announcers say stuff like that when it clearly isn't true. it just cheapens the race by making ridiculous statements like that when the race stands on its own merit.

here's the replay and screen cap; yes he was below the white line with his left wheels, but he was not in the grass.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDdNkdy5tvY]2014 Indy 500 - Last Laps - YouTube[/ame]
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    He had a good foot of space. I didn't see it properly that is why I was asking, the booze from the previous night was still kicking.

4. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    lol! and I wasn't picking on you, it was just overwrought broadcasting that seems to have caught on and now is becoming legend (much like Dale Earnhardt passing in the grass at Charlotte, where he did go on the grass but didn't actually pass anyone)

5. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    I know what you mean and do agree on that. They gotta do something to try spicing it up for the average person.

Who saw the crash with Hinch/Ed/Bell near the end? I'm a little disappointed as Hinch looks like he was holding the inside line well. Not sure how delayed the spotter voice is but it looked like he never said anything about the guy on the inside.

It looked to me like EC, even though was furious, was the one who cut down after rubbing up to Bell. Am I on the right track on this one?

6. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Yeah, this from a guy who's spinning doughnuts in swamps, fighting gorillas, etc. while slugging down endless Mountain Dews.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNh18bRw_0k]Dale Earnhardt Jr. Call | Diet Mountain Dew Commercial - YouTube[/ame]
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=045N_1nvGrw]Dale Earnhardt Jr. Amp and Gorilla Commercial - YouTube[/ame]

Pot please let me introduce you to kettle.

BHW

7. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    at first I wanted to blame Hinch, but if you watch the replay from helio's car it looks like there was contact between Bell and EC when Bell came down a bit; Hinch was in the wrong place at the wrong time. that said, if Hinch hadn't been there, it's possible EC could have continued on.

(forward to 4:30; Helio's on board is around 5:20)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYxb6kaQl1E]2014 Indy 500 Race Highlights - YouTube[/ame]

8. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
  9. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
  10. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Yeah, I saw the video but was probably only half paying attention to it until it was
    raised on Jalopnik on Monday.

The ratings are in and the Indy 500 garnered a 4 share, up slightly from last year.

BHW

11. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    I thought it was a little dumb at first but I watched the clips and if you look at HC on board you could see that Hinch was fairly blatant about the move. It was not a last second divebomb inside like we see on some road courses. If you watch him track he was fully committed onto the inside of the track, by the white line, until EC turned into him.

EC was a threat as well so it was to bad to see him smash the wall, especially being a smaller team.

12. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    The rest of the items put up a good fight for her to join me next year. If not next year I will be attending the 100th running no doubt.

13. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I blame EC's spotter, who kept saying "Outside, outside" without mentioning "Inside" until it was too late. How could EC have known Hinch was there? With his spotter's info, he had to concentrate on Bell on his outside, and realizing that Townsend was not backing down, had to move down to give him some room. Poor Ed was the victim of a lack of information.

14. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    I was wondering why he said nothing and thought maybe a delay was implemented. That is the point I was referring to noting the Hinch clearly was going for the inside line not a late dive that would have stunned the spotter.

15. Str8shooter

Str8shooter Formula 3

Jan 31, 2011
    Orlando
    Kurt Busch named Indy 500 Rookie of the Year:

Andretti Autosport driver Kurt Busch has been named the winner of the prestigious 2014 Sunoco Indianapolis 500 Rookie of the Year Award for his performance during the 98th Running of the Indianapolis 500 Mile Race on Sunday, May 25 at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. In the first Verizon IndyCar Series race of his career, Busch, in his #26 Andretti Autosport Suretone Honda, was the fastest qualifier (12th) and highest finisher (6th) among the seven rookies in this year's Indianapolis 500. In addition to the prestige of being named Sunoco Indianapolis 500 Rookie of the Year, Busch also earned a $25,000 bonus from Sunoco as part of his total race winnings of $423,889. Busch was presented with his award Monday night at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway during the Indianapolis 500 Victory Awards Celebration.(Indianapolis Motor Speedway)(5-28-2014)

16. Str8shooter

Str8shooter Formula 3

Jan 31, 2011
    Orlando
    The ratings are also in for NASCAR's Coca-Cola 600 and it beat everyone including the Indy 500.

The Indy 500 is such an iconic race. An American institution and I think its a shame that Indycars biggest race of the year couldn't out draw just another Sunday NASCAR race. I wonder how many of those that watched the Indy 500 were actually NASCAR fans that tuned in to watch Kurt Bush.

Charlotte TV Ratings: Saturday (5/24) night's Coca-Cola 600 at Charlotte Motor Speedway posted a 4.1/9 household rating/share and 7.0 million viewers on FOX according to national figures released by Nielsen. It was the most-watched sports telecast of the weekend, out-distancing such high-profile events as Pacers-Heat on ESPN (6.8 million) and the Indianapolis 500 on ABC (5.9 million, according to Nielsen fast nationals). The Coca-Cola 600 led FOX to be the No. 1 network in rating and audience in prime time among all broadcast and cable competition. The audience for the Coca-Cola 600 peaked at 9.3 million viewers at 10:30 pm/et.(FOX).(5-28-2014)

17. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Hard to believe.

Having caught portions of the 600, it was a borefest.

It would be interesting to know how many of those people actually watched the 600 all
    the way through vs. those who just tuned in for a few minutes.

Being in prime time likely helps them but after the Monaco GP in the morning, Indy in
    the afternoon, I was just about raced out by the time the roundy-round boys came on.

BHW

18. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

my position as well. after watching Monaco (ho hum) then indy (really great race), I was just bored w/ the 600 and did not make it much beyond the half way mark.

I think the timing had some to do with the viewership.

19. Str8shooter

Str8shooter Formula 3

Jan 31, 2011
    Orlando
    With it being a Holiday weekend I bet a lot of people were out during the day doing a BBQ or the beach or whatever so watching any TV midday wasn't a high priority. It says the peak viewing for the Coke 600 was 10:30 pm which is about the time everyone is settled in and with nothing else on they tuned into the race.

I watched the F1 race, the pre race and start of the Indy 500 before going out to enjoy my Sunday at the beach. After dinner with some friends I got home to see the second half of the Coke 600 so I can see how they got the ratings.

Certainly racing in prime time is a big advantage and NASCAR tries hard to be there. Perhaps its time for Indycar to ditch tradition, plug in a few lights and run the Indy 500 into prime time. :D